cancer for my educacion?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
eotunun
Overbomber

itnAklipse wrote:But german from police series like der Alte, ein Fall für Zwei or Derrick is far from inspiring to say the least :D
:eek:
You.. don't like... *faints*
Seriously, the very realistic, highly intelligent plots and dialogs from those programs inspired generations of commedians to do parodies.
Then came private TV series and the daily soaps and punched a deep hole into the quality levels of entertainment on the telly. Der Alte and Derrick shine like monuments of style and wisdom nowadays. There's no depth the authors of these scripts didn't explore. I should better say "low".
As you mention Kinski: I recently read about a dossier from a psychiatrist that recently approached from a few days of timeout Kinski had at a looney bin in the fifties where they called him "Criminally insane" (Probably bes translated like that. In geman it was "Gemeingefährlich", meaning "Gefährlich für die Allgemeinheit", "A danger to the public".).
There is shadow under this red rock
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

To be honest, those were just the first german tv-shows that came to my mind :/ When i watched them 20 years ago i didn't know the language at all, but sort of assumed now that they probably weren't better than something like Marienhof (now that's one i followed a bit in my high school days, thanks to my then-girlfriend). :lol:

They're still showing those, as you say, classic police shows here...i'll see about checking them out :) Interesting what you say about them that they are actually well written. Fact is though, i really enjoyed them 20 years ago. But i don't trust myself 20 years ago, so that's why my cynical presumptious comment.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
eotunun
Overbomber

:innocent: I allowed myself to be a bit ironical about the quality of the scripts.
I guess one could still write stuff like them with an arrow pierced through the scull.
msm67
Amphetamine Filth

I don't know if this problem exists in countries where English is not the primary language, but my biggest issue with "American English" is the way it varies, depending on where one lives. It not only varies from state-to-state, city-to-city. The meaning of a word can actually differ from neighborhood-to-neighborhood. Then you have to throw in the different accents.... :urff: It makes having a conversation difficult at times. All I can say is that I wish when the founding fathers were voting on the "official" language, the deciding vote had been for German!!
James Blast
Banned

you do the math, the English (not British) had all the aluminum reserves and the red color of their uniforms scared all foreigns away :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
msm67
Amphetamine Filth

Damn the Germans for wearing pink, then?
eotunun
Overbomber

msm67 wrote:Damn the Germans for wearing pink, then?
:eek: Vott?
Iz zhere pink anyvhere?
Vee arr shocked by zhis allushun!
:eek:
Pink! Pah! :|
James Blast
Banned

I see beer, big beer....

I also see leather pants, very bad leather pants - lederhosen isn't it?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

James Blast wrote:you do the math, the English (not British) had all the aluminum reserves and the red color of their uniforms scared all foreigns away :lol:
Naw, it was the "Devils in Skirts" :wink:

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

paint it black wrote:
stufarq wrote:
* This is the Latin word "re", meaning "[in] the matter of" and should not have a colon.
thank you, yes, i was aware of 'in re' however i would dispute the need for a colon... the colon thing is perfectly acceptable, at least as far as contract law, so for me at least it will remain :D
God knows what language they use in contract law.:lol:
taliabee wrote:plus, of course, in business use, re: means regarding.
Yes, it's used that way, but incorrectly so. Same with the colon: one should only be used to introduce an explanatory clause (notwithstanding various mathematical and other non-punctuative uses). I know that's a bit of a simplification, but the convention of using it after "re" serves no punctuative purpose.
msm67
Amphetamine Filth

@ eotunun...hmmm, perhaps since it was the late 1700's, instead of Germans, I should have used the term Prussians? Would that make a difference? Do they wear pink? :) Anyway, after they helped the colonists win the war, German should have been the language here. Just my opinion! Well, at least Philadelphia gives von Steuben a parade every year & alot of my neighbors, who are Amish, speak a form of German, even now.
taliabee
Road Kill

stufarq wrote:
paint it black wrote:
stufarq wrote:
* This is the Latin word "re", meaning "[in] the matter of" and should not have a colon.
thank you, yes, i was aware of 'in re' however i would dispute the need for a colon... the colon thing is perfectly acceptable, at least as far as contract law, so for me at least it will remain :D
God knows what language they use in contract law.:lol:
taliabee wrote:plus, of course, in business use, re: means regarding.
Yes, it's used that way, but incorrectly so. Same with the colon: one should only be used to introduce an explanatory clause (notwithstanding various mathematical and other non-punctuative uses). I know that's a bit of a simplification, but the convention of using it after "re" serves no punctuative purpose.
Business convention - since when did that take notice of what is correct?!
Oh! And, commas before conjunctions - rap over the knuckles from Sister Aquinas's ruler of doom there :D (Conjunction used to start this sentence, after the exclamation, for effect!)
takes me right back to saint patrick's !!
t xx
James Blast
Banned

Saint Patrick's what? :lol:
~ Peter Steele
eotunun
Overbomber

msm67 wrote:@ eotunun...hmmm, perhaps since it was the late 1700's, instead of Germans, I should have used the term Prussians? Would that make a difference? Do they wear pink? :) Anyway, after they helped the colonists win the war, German should have been the language here. Just my opinion! Well, at least Philadelphia gives von Steuben a parade every year & alot of my neighbors, who are Amish, speak a form of German, even now.
Erm.. It gets worse.. I am a fullbreed Prussian (Both my parents are native Berlinians) and I never yet wore ....pink! :lol:
As for your wish for german being the language of the USA: If that were, you'd understand all the Schlager lyrics and probably countless US citizens would desire to drill their brains out for that..
Considering the Amish: See my point? That's what this language does to people! :lol:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

eotunun wrote:As for your wish for german being the language of the USA: If that were, you'd understand all the Schlager lyrics and probably countless US citizens would desire to drill their brains out for that..
Considering the Amish: See my point? That's what this language does to people! :lol:
I'm pretty happy that the sepos don't all speak German. I love that people who should know better damn me for listening to Rammstein, "Oooh, are you a nazi? It's a terribly fascist band," and seem slightly confused when I tell them that most of the songs are about sex - I mean, what else could Rein Raus be about?! :lol:

The Amish are only like that because they listened to too much Rammstein and got shagged out.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

I allas though Rammstein were a mentalist Kraut homo-erotic band, nein?
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:I allas though Rammstein were a mentalist Kraut homo-erotic band, nein?
Ah durnt nur if thur hurmur-rotik, but a lot of their stuff is about shagging. Oh, and matricide, so maybe there's some oedipus/freud stuff creeping in there too.

Mentalist, certainly :lol:
Hank Moody
eotunun
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:I allas though Rammstein were a mentalist Kraut homo-erotic band, nein?
They play around with that topic as well. My favourites by Rammstein are
Seemann-The narrator mourns seeing the decay of a lost love, pleades for being taken back.
Dalai Lama-An-Erlkönig-like Ghoststory (A panicking father accidently chokes his child)
Morgenstern-About loving an ugly person

But shagging is the main leitmotiv, I guess. :lol:
metal on metal
Amphetamine Filth

taliabee wrote:
stufarq wrote:Yes, it's used that way, but incorrectly so. Same with the colon: one should only be used to introduce an explanatory clause (notwithstanding various mathematical and other non-punctuative uses). I know that's a bit of a simplification, but the convention of using it after "re" serves no punctuative purpose.
Oh! And, commas before conjunctions - rap over the knuckles from Sister Aquinas's ruler of doom there :D
<< on with mortar-board cap >>

Although it's commonly believed that we never use a comma before a conjuction (for example, when "and" introduces the last item in a list), there isn't really such a straightforward rule. The adverbial phrase "but incorrectly so" offers a contrast to the previous "it's used that way", so it's quite correct to use a comma there . It's also correct to use a comma before a conjunction if that conjunction is joining two simple sentences such as "I know that's a bit of a simplification" and "the convention of using it after "re" serves no punctuative purpose".

I think your Sister Aquinas was a bit too ready with her child-beating ways!
metal on metal
Amphetamine Filth

I never liked them until I read that description of them! You make them sound brilliant there! :lol:
James Blast
Banned

one trick ponies, if you've heard Ich Will, you've heard the best they have to offer
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:one trick ponies, if you've heard Ich Will, you've heard the best they have to offer
I disagree - although Ich Will is a banginchoon, Sonne and Mutter are also good tracks, and while Reise Reise is not their greatest album ever, Amerika and Moskau are both worth listening to.
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

agree to disagreE Bastard?
~ Peter Steele
taliabee
Road Kill

metal on metal wrote:
taliabee wrote:
stufarq wrote:Yes, it's used that way, but incorrectly so. Same with the colon: one should only be used to introduce an explanatory clause (notwithstanding various mathematical and other non-punctuative uses). I know that's a bit of a simplification, but the convention of using it after "re" serves no punctuative purpose.
Oh! And, commas before conjunctions - rap over the knuckles from Sister Aquinas's ruler of doom there :D
<< on with mortar-board cap >>

Although it's commonly believed that we never use a comma before a conjuction (for example, when "and" introduces the last item in a list), there isn't really such a straightforward rule. The adverbial phrase "but incorrectly so" offers a contrast to the previous "it's used that way", so it's quite correct to use a comma there . It's also correct to use a comma before a conjunction if that conjunction is joining two simple sentences such as "I know that's a bit of a simplification" and "the convention of using it after "re" serves no punctuative purpose".

I think your Sister Aquinas was a bit too ready with her child-beating ways!
ah but, we were told that, if you'd phrased the sentence such that it needed a comma before the conjunction, then you had phrased it incorrectly - go back and do it again!! :eek: she was a bit free with that ruler - still look around to check i'm doing nothing wrong whenever i see a nun :D
isnt grammar lovely?!
txx
metal on metal
Amphetamine Filth

Oh, I know where you're coming from there. Scarred by a Catholic upbringing myself :D
taliabee wrote:isnt grammar lovely?!
Isn't she just?

Grammar, we love you
Grammar, we do

I'll get me coat.