14 03 2009 Madrid

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
_emma_
Overbomber

Oh well, and I so had planned to attend this gig, but had to abandon the plan in the end. :?
If I'd been there yesterday, today you would have a report that it was OK. :lol:
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

right. well there goes one gig that didn't end up how it should have....but it will certainly not stop me from going to another one.

seen it with other bands before..and sometimes it!s a gamble especially if you are flying in or whatever..but there are way too many circumstances that can go wrong and sometimes it!s the band but sometimes they have nothing to do with it. let's hope the next gig will be great again
lachert
Overbomber

dtsom wrote:last explanation:

really bad and low sound. no vocals
the support band sounded much more louder

the people was chatting all the time BECUASE THE SOUND WAS SO LOW
i was 3 meter from the speakers and i heard more the people that the music
the sisters of mercy - the most ears friendly rock'n'roll band on earth

yeah, this is my main problem on sisters gigs too. volume level :(
they should change official site description as soon as it possible for "we are not a rock'n'roll band. we play quiet, acoustic concerts from time to time. you can say, almost unplugged."
long live rock'n'roll
Pista
Cureboi

The Vienna show was really very loud.
I thought the old gasometer might need to be condemned afterward.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
paul
Overbomber

"We make rock'n'roll background music" :lol:
lachert
Overbomber

nice video of alice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t2KP170ux0
and some video-mix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28-qDs32uYA
did you hear audience? :eek: :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
psichonaut
Overbomber

"sometimes we play Karaoke in small pubs" :innocent: :innocent:

kidding, the Cologne show was brilliant :wink: , maybe for the company i was with ;D ;D
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
mh
Above the Chemist

Hrrrrmmmmm, well every band has an off-night every now and then. I can understand getting psyched up for this and the feeling of being let down. From the sound of things the band were fully aware that this wasn't the way it should be, and so I wouldn't be inclined to lay any blame on them for it (credit in fact for going through with it as much as possible), nor would I expect too many repeats of it.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

dtsom wrote:and after my explanation now yes good bye
C'mon Diego... we all know the Sisters and their live reputation: sometimes brilliant, sometimes s**t, but there's always big fun at the gigs!

I'm sorry to hear the Madrid show sucked, but you've been to Brussels & Paris and those shows rocked...

I do expect to see you at some gig in the future, dude :wink:
in dub we trust
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

radiojamaica wrote:
C'mon Diego... we all know the Sisters and their live reputation: sometimes brilliant, sometimes s**t, but there's always big fun at the gigs!

I'm sorry to hear the Madrid show sucked, but you've been to Brussels & Paris and those shows rocked...

Well said! I agree.
"as we walk on the floodland"
psichonaut
Overbomber

well, a went bad gig doesn't seems to me enough to say good-bye to us all....i gree with Oz and koen and i hope to meet Diego at my next Sisters gig :D
Garbageman
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

So Diego, you will give up on the Sisters because one show was not to your standards?
Come on, every band has an off night through sound, venue etc. but to give up on a band because of a bad performance I really do not get the logic-no pun intended-in that.
By all accounts, this is the first bad show-in your opinion-on this tour.
I have seen a lot of bands who have had off nights-The Cult at Nottingham Royal Centre on the Electric tour was a disgrace-but I kept on seeing them. In fact one of the best shows I have seen from them was at The Hard Rock in Orlando 2 years ago.
Come on, get back in the fold....you know it makes sense.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Where are everybody else by the way? I thought many from here were seeing the Madrid gig.
lachert
Overbomber

meanwhile you can watch dominion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTR4FVfFwTo
eldritch is smoking and lights are different or it's just me? :roll:
long live rock'n'roll
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

I see none of it...but well, the lights are new for this tour, I can stretch that far :wink:
lachert
Overbomber

he's inhaling at 2.37. check out :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

Ozpat wrote:
radiojamaica wrote:

Well said! I agree.
your right. yestarday i was really angry. i´ll be over here (but a bit lees active in posting ,trading etc)
one thing is the show other one is this superb forum

about gigs i keep the same thought, it was nice but i feel quite disappointed, so 20 gigs is quite ok
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
_emma_
Overbomber

Ah, the Spanish hot blood. :twisted:
Calm down Mr Diego. The Sisters are no Celine Dion. You can't expect them to be perfect at every gig they play. It's part of the game. :? :kiss: :D
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

dtsom wrote:
Ozpat wrote:
radiojamaica wrote: C'mon Diego... we all know the Sisters and their live reputation: sometimes brilliant, sometimes s**t, but there's always big fun at the gigs!

Well said! I agree.
your right. yestarday i was really angry. i´ll be over here (but a bit lees active in posting ,trading etc)
one thing is the show other one is this superb forum

about gigs i keep the same thought, it was nice but i feel quite disappointed, so 20 gigs is quite ok
No 'relationship' has to be perfect. I remember 2007 when you were
very disappointed about the Lorca gig but enjoyed Zottegem a lot.
Real Madrid don't win all matches either...

Be disappointed and feel bad about it but don't take it to heart.
It cannot always be.....Summer!

As Koen said; We expect to see you again at a future gig. :wink:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

Right, I'll have to respond to this one.

Apparently the sound wasn't well mixed. People next to me (about 4th row, center stage) couldn't hear Ben. But Vons voice was absolutely clear and loud. I'd even go as far as to say that the band indeed did their best. Even though by then they had already lost their second tour bus, cause the gear box had broken 120 km before Madrid, on the motorway. Imagine the fun they've had.

However, the show in Madrid was absolute CRAP!!!

To blame are:
a) venue:
- beer 6 euros for 0,33 l!!!
- will call ticket holders were left to wait so long that there was absolutely no chance left to get to the front
- unfriendly, incompetent security
b) audience:
- lousy, noisy, no sense of humour or for what was happening in front of their eyes (even some natives said so!!!)
- there was this one guy and his friends so totally beyond who tried to ruin the gig for me and the people I was there with: whistling, shouting, singing wrongly, swearing at the band, etc. But, we held out and were stronger than him in the end. So what did he do? He went to the merch stand and spat in the merch guy's face. That tells you about all you need to know to judge the atmosphere of that night for yourselves.

Madrid is the most unfriendly city I've seen in a long time! Even in non-toruistic zones everybody and their dogs try to rip you off! Who do they think they are? :evil:

Sorry to Domingo and the other locals we know. We know you are very nice people, and I really don't want to dismiss a whole city for the s**t experiences we've made there this time. It might be different another time.

Bilbao - any time again! Although the venue was at the end of the world I've rarely ever met such friendly and relaxed people.

Barcelona: Even though this city is the mother of all tourist traps if you're close to the Ramblas, the people were friendly. Incompetent security and ridiculous delays at the entrance, but everything else was fine and fair. Always worth a visit, if the right band pläys there.

Madrid - only if you pay me!
You can't fix stupid.
psichonaut
Overbomber

what about the italian gigs, Eva?
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Just two questions to the tour assassin ;-)

When did they loose their first tour bus?

Didn't you see them in Madrid last time, and if so, how was it then?

saw them there in 2000 and have only great memories (even if it's eons back now..)

Interestingly I experienced something similar with the very friendly merch guy (Kenny?) in Chicago; someone felt he should have some "compensation for a bad show" and simply therefore took a Eureka Machines CD without paying... :|
Eva

@Psychonaut: My comments on Italy will follow in that thread (those threads)

@Euphoria:
Answer to question 1: I actually don't remember what Madrid 2006 was like, so I probably truly enjoyed it a lot. Being reminded I remember that a very drunk friend got thrown out but that didn't bother me too much (sorry, friend). And I remember Von playing with his hidious (sp?) coat. That alone was worth the visit. Besides, I then experienced the city as friendly and easy. The audience might have been crap, noisy and what-have-you, but I obviously wasn't bothered enough to remember.
Answer to question 2: The first tour bus caught fire when they had just arrived in Milan and were standing in front of their hotel. Apparently nothing lost (besides the bus).
Last edited by Eva on 15 Mar 2009, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fix stupid.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Thanks for the answers!

Interesting to hear about the tour bus...you must be quite close to the crew after all this tour-following! :)
Eva

No, I'm not. The guy at the merchandise (Rob) is just an incredibly nice person.
You can't fix stupid.