04.04.2009 Zagreb Croatia - POSTPONED

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
lachert
Overbomber

Husek wrote:
lachert wrote:
Husek wrote:And what about 16.?
will i dream?
Why not Something fast or i Was Wrong?
just shot it sould be will i dream?(?)
they didn't play it last time in greece, so maybe...
long live rock'n'roll
Brace
Road Kill

Anybody has a recording of this gig?
Far Parade? Yes? No?

Damn it, I wanna hear Far Parade! :P
"I had many sobering thoughts in my days too.....
........they've made me start drinking in the first place." Grandad
iesus
Overbomber

Propably 16 is On The Wire/Teachers/On The Wire :P

They did it in Athens, propably they 've played it in Zagreb too ;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Back in time
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hi everybody, I am at work and we were back late last night and the gig was FANTASTIIIIIIIIIIIIIC.

The band is in full power, we could see that they did not play for two weeks, Ben and Chris were playing and posing for cameras that were not allowed in the venue, but still some were there and Von was in a very good mood (also posing), making signs with his hands and I hope that he was also enjoying.
I was in a third row, in front of central mic and from my perspective the crowd was excellent. My friends were in the back and they confirm that crowd was dancing, singing and jumping, so I hope that band enjoyed it.
Usual smoke, pleanty of purple light ( :lol: greetings to Purple Light) shining directly in my face.

Now, the questions
NO Far Parade, we had a chance to talk to Ben in the afternoon (well jost 7 did) and he claims that lyrics are done, but music is not finished and not rehearsed, so again I do not believe we will hear it soon.
Song not mentioned in the setlist is Romeo Down. On the wire was not performed.
Later we stayed a bit (until security kindly asked us to leave), run into Ben again and I have to say that he is a really nice guy, short discussion, some pictures were done, really normal. They left very early in the morning to Budapest.
There was no barier and first row (hi _emma_ and Eve) was just next to monitors and at one moment Ben and Chris jumped over monitors and came just next to the crowd. This caused quite an eruption.
Budapest, have a great gig, if it will be better than in Zagreb, you will not go home for hours because you will not be able to walk.
By the way, gig was scheduled for 21:00 and at that moment there was almost nobody in the venue and I was quite worried, but in the end the venue was full.
Everybody, just enjoy.
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

oh yay! thanks...very much looking forward to it.. 2006 was loooooong time ago

glad you had an amazing time :notworthy:
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

Oh, yes!!! This was a brilliant gig: loud, energetic, and everybody (band and crowd) in an excellent mood. Just as it has to be. Geetings to Hrvoje and friend, and to everybody else we've met. :D
You can't fix stupid.
Eggi1
Amphetamine Filth

Setlist:

Afterhours
Crash & Burn
Ribbons
Train/Detonation Boulevard
Alice
Flood I
Anaconda
Marian
Susanne
Arms
Giving Ground
Dominion/Mother Russia
Summer
First & Last & Always
This Corrosion
Flood II
-------------------------------
Romeo Down
Vision Thing
Lucretia
Top Nite Out
Temple Of Love

Total Time: 85:31
266 GIGS
34 COUNTRIES
over 200.000 MILES

and i want more ...

Baltimore
Philadelphia
New York City
silentNate

Eva wrote:Oh, yes!!! This was a brilliant gig: loud, energetic, and everybody (band and crowd) in an excellent mood. Just as it has to be.
Sounds fantastic, now I can't wait to see them again :oops:
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

absolutely gutted that i wasn't there :( . work has a nasty habit of getting in the way of things :evil:

but still, it's great to hear that the band's in top shape and that you had such an amazing time. :D

cheers for the reviews! :notworthy:

and i wouldn't mind a nice recording either :wink:
Being645
Above the Chemist

:notworthy: sounds great :notworthy:

Wish I could have been there ... wah, ... go on , go on, go on, go on ... :D
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

just back from zagreb, this was a top night out indeed, a tripping the light fantastic in and not in time, with lots of people forming a line.

our friend back in time arranged the trip fantastic(ally), very kind man. was nice to see those i have met.

band in top form, really incredible. never enjoyed first and last and always with new intro more than yesterday. sound was huge at some moments, vocals were good in the mix, guitars both loud, almost crispy. venue was great. crowed was great whereever i was people really were into it, dancing and singing. fantastic. lights are the low budget version now but thats fine as long as the bands rocks the hell out. did film again with my mobile, if its as good as the vienna vids you'll find them here soon.

cheers
love is just a shot away
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Thanx for the reviews people, it seems it was one of the good ones :D :notworthy:
in dub we trust
A Slight Tolchock
Road Kill

Hello everyone.
I'm a huge fan of The Sisters Of Mercy and I've been haunting this forum for quite a while and now that I've finally seen them perform live I feel an overwhelming urge to share my impressions with someone who cares. I think that would be other fans. Meaning all you wonderful Heartland people.

I don't attend major gigs very often. I've seen a few of my favorite bands live: Cradle Of Filth, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Iron Maiden and now (after a lifetime of waiting and praying, it seems) The Sisters Of Mercy. (I am very aware of my unusual and rather colorful taste in music, thank you very much. :P)

Anyway, this was a beautiful weekend. On Saturday night I went to see Cradle Of Filth play at Boogaloo (for the second time- they visited Zagreb in 2006). They had great support acts: Moonspell (excellent) and Turisas (enthusiastic, to say the least). Cradle Of Filth, the headliners themselves, delivered a brilliant show (although a bit on the short side... Did I say "a bit"? They played only ten songs. You be the judge.) Anyway, the evening was a blast, a powerful event.

The next day I went to see The Sisters Of Mercy perform at Tvornica. Cradle Of Filth gave me a huge kick of adrenaline, which was great. The Sisters Of Mercy gave me... Catharsis. Which was like floating in mid air or receiving a stigmata. They were absolutely brilliant. The setlist was amazing, the light show was fantastic, the sound was great. But the band themselves... They were out of this world. Through the roof. Larger than life. I was overwhelmed just by seeing Andrew appear on stage. You know, in the flesh. I think he looks like death (I mean that in good, very cool way). No, scratch that last bit- death looks like Andrew. The way he haunts the stage, his vocal performance, his barely audible "thank you"... His presence itself... It was very dark and very spiritual.
Ben and Chris were also amazing. Both of them played effortlessly but with great enthusiasm, never missing a single tone and looking incredibly cool all the while. Chris was a puddle of sweat by the time they roared their way to a brilliant finale with Temple Of Love, he even took his shades off. Ben, a true guitar hero, was the almighty solo emperor and his solos were splendid. It was a blast to see them pull off Top Nite Out- they got very close to the crowd and a strong bond was formed. They were great. Godlike, in fact.
The whole gig was like some twisted ritual for me. There you have them, three gods performing masterpiece after masterpiece after masterpiece, and you're standing there (or jumping, or dancing, always singing) full of awe and deep respect.
After the show I was so insanely happy that I bought two t-shirts: The Summer t-shirt and the Mechanised Europe t-shirt (which I took even though there was only the S size and I usuallly wear an L :P).

All in all, I can say (with much pleasure at that) that this was one of the best concerts I have ever attended (second to none, in fact, tied only with Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds).

Like I said, Catharsis. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

And for the record: this is my first post here (and very possibly also the last one), I wrote it just to share my experience and impressions with anyone who cares to read it and I'd like to apologize to anyone who I may have somehow offended. Sorry, it wasn't on purpose.
Back in time

Journalists, strange people. These people were most probably somewhere else (different dimension). In general reviews are average, even worst, so no need to post them. One claims that Chris is playing bass guitar and with this I rest my case, they should take Beyonce "performance" next time (it was also on Sunday).

I was there and it was brilliant.
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man.
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

Back in time wrote:...One claims that Chris is playing bass guitar...
idiot! :lol: :lol: :lol:

but still, it would be nice to hear what the music journos are saying about the gig. they can be quite entertaining, to say the least... :wink:
Back in time

In short, you should not expect much from the band that did not publish new material in last 20 years.
They are very interested why Von did not wear black, but fluorescent yellow and that everybody should be dissapointed with that fact (by the way, very important one).
Bad sound, s**t lights, unrecognizable guitars, two noname youths playing guitars (or bass, or whatever).
I am telling you LouLou, I was most probably somewhere else (along with other people).
Back in time

One of "these people" also wrote the review for the gig in 2006. I checked it and I believe that when he was reviewing the gig in 2009 he took the old review, shorten it, exchanged words "hockey dress" with "fluorescent yellow"

and

tadaaa

here is the alltime original masterpiece.
Back in time

I am taking this too personal.
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

Back in time wrote:In short, you should not expect much from the band that did not publish new material in last 20 years.
They are very interested why Von did not wear black, but fluorescent yellow and that everybody should be dissapointed with that fact (by the way, very important one).
Bad sound, s**t lights, unrecognizable guitars, two noname youths playing guitars (or bass, or whatever).
I am telling you LouLou, I was most probably somewhere else (along with other people).
in other words, the same bla bla we've been hearing since, well, forever. :roll:

shame they can't even be a little bit creative in their mudslinging. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Back in time

Exactly.
Nadia81
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I think the journalists spend most of their time in the bar.I remember reading a 3 page review/interview of The Sisters-there was not one word about the music-the entire article was about how short Von is.
_emma_
Overbomber

May I just mention openly on this forum that Mr Back in time is one of the most obliging and hospitable people I've met. :notworthy:
Thank you again for everything, Hrvoje! :D

Oh, and Croatian people have a different sense of time. Half an hour means one hour, 8:00 o'clock means 9:05, and so on. Yet no one is late for anything, and everything happens in the right time. :eek: :lol: :notworthy:

As for the gig, it's a long story that deserves a separate post.
A-bso-lu-te-ly f* bri-l-l-i-an-t. :notworthy:
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

@ A Slight Tolchock: Welcome to the forum and thank you very much for your personal review. It is a pleasure to read it and it's a pleasure to hear you enjoyed the gig as much as I did (sorry, I'm self centered).

@Everybody: Oh, and regarding journalists: here in Zurich The Sisters got a benevolent mentioning for their "transparent communication policy", because the reason given for the postponement of the gig was "illness", and not "technical reasons" as AC/DC did... :roll: :lol:
You can't fix stupid.
Caravaggio
Road Kill

A Slight Tolchock wrote:I was overwhelmed just by seeing Andrew appear on stage. [...] I think he looks like death (I mean that in good, very cool way). No, scratch that last bit- death looks like Andrew.
I hope we can expect some more Chuck Norris-style jokes about Andrew in the future? :lol:

Very nice review btw.
There have been better plans
But none that I could ever understand...
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

@ A Slight Tolchock: Wow. Just...wow. :eek:

Actually, I'm rarely as at a loss for words as all that. :lol: Splendid, articulate account of your experience - people can get rather jaded, it's lovely to hear from someone whose expectations were not only met but vastly exceeded. :notworthy:

Welcome, and I hope you do continue to post. You certainly haven't offended anyone - far from it! :kiss:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim