Under the Gun

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Going back to the discussion above about the meaning of the title, I heard someone on TV the other day (can't remember who or what programme) use it to mean "under pressure" as suggested by Being645.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
lachert
Overbomber

stufarq wrote:Going back to the discussion above about the meaning of the title, I heard someone on TV the other day (can't remember who or what programme) use it to mean "under pressure" as suggested by Being645.
my english isn't good, but isn't obvious? :eek:
long live rock'n'roll
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

lachert wrote:
stufarq wrote:Going back to the discussion above about the meaning of the title, I heard someone on TV the other day (can't remember who or what programme) use it to mean "under pressure" as suggested by Being645.
my english isn't good, but isn't obvious? :eek:
Not necessarily. See below:
stufarq wrote:
Being645 wrote:as far as I know "under the gun" is an old English idiom
which implies much more than merely "under pressure" ...
I don't think so. Certainly I've never heard it and can't find any references to it. It's a playing position in poker terminology, the person who has to act before anyone gets to see the shared cards ("I've been under the gun/I've lost and I've won... where the chosen hold the highest card/on the field of honour where the ground is hard/so the highest hand is joking wild/and the house soon fold and no-one stand"). It's also a pun. a play on "everything under the sun". And it had already been used as song and album titles by a few bands before Von used it.
Of course, knowing Von, he probably intended all meanings but the poker reference seems undeniable.
Being645
Intellectual Love God

Yeah, I like that reference too.
It is surely right, but I don't think it's the only connotation intended here,
since gambling (with emotion and value) is only a symptom ...