Andrew Eldritch and Peter Hamill (yes PETER HAMMILL)

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
James Blast
Banned

paint it black wrote:Maybe you weren't allowed out after school?
I was no longer in school then, son.

You Glans! :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

James Blast wrote:
You Glans! :D
intelligent input darlin'

@stu 30seconds on google :roll:

http://www.jonsavage.com/punk/punk-etymology/

will look in both books for source notes
Goths have feelings too
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

James, you know you don't want me to. If applying Gandhi's more famous statements or common political theory is beyond you, you'd do precious little with my thoughts...
we've got beer and we've got fuel
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I thought punk clothing was "ripped"-off from Richard Hell rather than Les McKeown.

H Blackrose - Just because somebody says something is so does not make it so. If it walks like a goth and quacks like a goth, it is usuually a Goth. The same applies to prog rockers.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
James Blast
Banned

itnAklipse wrote:James, you know you don't want me to. If applying Gandhi's more famous statements or common political theory is beyond you, you'd do precious little with my thoughts...
go on, act the goat
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

paint it black wrote:@stu 30seconds on google :roll:

http://www.jonsavage.com/punk/punk-etymology/

will look in both books for source notes
Couldn't you just have cited the source (like I did) instead of making us go searching?

Anyway, the only relevant one in that article earlier than 1970 is the Lesterr Bangs MC5 review from 1969, where he describes them as "16 year old punks". "Punk" was already a common American term for "young ruffians" or "inexperienced boys" and, while that quote was about a band I'm not sure that it's talking about the music as such ie it's not defining them as "punk rock" or anything similar, just as uncouth. But maybe that review had an influence on others using it to describe the music or style. Anyone able to establish a connection?
James Blast
Banned

yer quite richt stu, the rest of this thread is dick waving
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Wiki Wizard

mostly ... ;D ... :lol: ...