Glastonbury Festival

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Garbageman
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Had great times at Glastonbury and Reading but seeing them now,they look a little soulless to say the least.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
Garbageman

Had great times at Glastonbury and Reading but seeing them now,they look a little soulless to say the least.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
DeWinter

Judging by the reaction to the Bono protestors Glastonbury got moonlighting Met officers to do the security this year.
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Regarding my "hippies" cooment: I take it all back!

Judging by the BBC coverage I've seen, I think Glasto would be mightily improved if it were full of hippies.

Also, as Ben Goldacre (of Guardian / Bad Science) pointed out, it would be better if the smaller stages, rather than hving "small bands" which are bad versions of commercially successful genres, had good bands doing "odd music".
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
moses

markfiend wrote:Regarding my "hippies" cooment: I take it all back!

Judging by the BBC coverage I've seen, I think Glasto would be mightily improved if it were full of hippies.

Also, as Ben Goldacre (of Guardian / Bad Science) pointed out, it would be better if the smaller stages, rather than hving "small bands" which are bad versions of commercially successful genres, had good bands doing "odd music".
I suppose it's a bit like watching Leeds United play football on tv and only seeing racists & thugs being paid too much money when in fact if you were actually involved in the proceedings by actually being there then you would experience something entirely different.
I'm more hippy than middle class and don't read the Guardian but my probation lady thinks Ben Goldacre doesn't know the difference between Pulp and s**t.

I had a great time :D
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Fair enough. 8)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Meat Whiplash
Road Kill

I was too bored by it all when I saw BAD weren't gonna be featured, that I didn't bother
It's all such a dreary fiction.
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I enjoyed Glastonbury in my 20s - and in decent weather. I remember one year getting a free ticket (before prices went insane like now) and only going for one day and night (didn't bother taking a tent, just something to *ahem* keep me awake) due to the mud. Have seen some awesome performances - Radiohead playing OK Computer, for, I think, the first time; Dodgy were good; Herbie Hancock; Pulp; Terry Callier. Mostly the fields away from the Main Stages are the places to be.
I do remember the first year they had a dedicated "Dance Music" tent - the local What's On ran the headline "Now is the Summer of our disco-tent"... spent a few 'lost' hours in there.