Who are the best Sisters substitute?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

sultan2075 wrote:
10-E Rabid wrote:George Jones n Waylon Jennings ;D
Hell yeah. I like my country singers to be drugbag fuckups (in that vein, let me recommend Hellbound Glory--the first LP, Scumbag Country, is bit better than the second, though they're both good. Well-written songs without the gimmickry that Hank III has really lapsed into.)

edit: here's a live recording I've not listened to yet: http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/hellb ... cker-swamp
Cool, Thanks for that, I will have a listen. It makes me proud to know that there are others in this community that appreciate this music. I always have my weekly dose of this stuff. it's just so damn good. Of course Cash :notworthy: is in there too I just didn't want to over do it with all the attention he gets nowadays. I'm no bandwagoneer, I grew up on this stuff. :P Thanks again.
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

timsinister wrote:
Purple wrote:The Marching Men!!!
That carbon dioxide's getting to your brain cells old boy.
I think he means this lot. :D 8)
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Hom_Corleone wrote:
mh wrote:Big Black.

They got a drum machine, they got the same warped funk/metal/dub thing going that early Sisters had, but - ummm - aside from that, absolutely nothing in common! :lol:
I've just finished listening to Atomiser actually and was thinking about them in a similar way. ;D
Excellent call by both you chaps. I've had Atomiser on as background music whilst I worked from home for a long time.

One tune in particular started me racking my Sister's brain. :urff:

But it turned out to be "Bad Houses."

It's a tinny, gorgeous Doktor beat, and a Husseyesque guitar. Which is probably what confused me initially.

But it's fabulous and I like it. :von:
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Syberberg wrote:
timsinister wrote:
Purple wrote:The Marching Men!!!
That carbon dioxide's getting to your brain cells old boy.
I think he means this lot. :D 8)
:D :notworthy:

On a serious note, I'll second the Merry Thoughts.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
sultan2075
Overbomber

10-E Rabid wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:
10-E Rabid wrote:George Jones n Waylon Jennings ;D
Hell yeah. I like my country singers to be drugbag fuckups (in that vein, let me recommend Hellbound Glory--the first LP, Scumbag Country, is bit better than the second, though they're both good. Well-written songs without the gimmickry that Hank III has really lapsed into.)

edit: here's a live recording I've not listened to yet: http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/hellb ... cker-swamp
Cool, Thanks for that, I will have a listen. It makes me proud to know that there are others in this community that appreciate this music. I always have my weekly dose of this stuff. it's just so damn good. Of course Cash :notworthy: is in there too I just didn't want to over do it with all the attention he gets nowadays. I'm no bandwagoneer, I grew up on this stuff. :P Thanks again.
You know what? The first record I ever owned (I think) was Synchronicity by the Police. The first record I ever destroyed from over-listening? A copy of Johnny Cash's Greatest Hits owned by my mother and father when I was a wee lad in New York, New York. It was a cassette tape.

If you really like this kind of stuff, can I make some recommendations?
1. RAY WYLIE HUBBARD. There's a reason it's capitalized.
2. RAY WYLIE HUBBARD: yeah, he deserves at least two slots on this list.
2.5. I listen to #3 more often, but Hayes Carll is really pretty good. Not RWH good, but he might be, someday.
3. ELEVEN HUNDRED SPRINGS. Not as good as RWH, but good nonetheless.
3. Reckless Kelly is also good.
4. Slim Cessna's Autoclub: post-country for open-minded TSOM fans.
5. They ain't from TEXAS, but Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir is better than any band with such a lousy name ought to be. Really, very good.
6. RAY WYLIE HUBBARD: Reflective thought makes me think he needs a third spot.

As for everything else in this thread: THE MERRY THOUGHTS SUCK. Seriously: there ain't nothing good or even tolerable about them. I'd rather listen to the million-and-first-bad-SRV-imitation than this poor sub-Von-had-some-bad-chowder-shit.

I don't get the goth thing. I really don't. Von ain't the kind to wax romantic about vampires or write crap-ass songs about how much he hates Jesus. Seriously. What's the substantive link?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:As for everything else in this thread: THE MERRY THOUGHTS SUCK. Seriously: there ain't nothing good or even tolerable about them. I'd rather listen to the million-and-first-bad-SRV-imitation than this poor sub-Von-had-some-bad-chowder-shit.
I'm glad someone said it! Bloody hell.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I had never heard of Ray wylie Hubbard, so I played some on YouTube - I thought he was quite pleasant, a bit boring, not really a substitute for the Sisters unless he is going to get a Drum Machine

I agree The Merry Thoughts are certainly a very very poor second to the Sisters. eg the lyrics are one dimensional compared to the Sisters Carry On Film script double meaning (at least). But they are sisteresque - which was the remit
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
cardoman
Slight Overbomber

taylor wrote:just FOTN nothing more :D
saw them a few weeks ago at the shadowplay festival. Liked them a lot but the audience was massive leaving during the concert. Finally there were only about 250 interested... Strange, doesnt see that happen with the sisters...
Was it Alice or our daughter Ellice???
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Perhaps the audience were Sisters fans who were just waiting for the title track of Mourning Sun as a substitute for Some Kind Of Stranger in the same way as I used to enjoy the into to Elastica's Stutter as a hommage to Adrenochrome.
Does anyone know of other songs which have been "heavily influenced" (choosing words carefully for legal reasons) by a track by the Girls ?
mh
Above the Chemist

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Does anyone know of other songs which have been "heavily influenced" (choosing words carefully for legal reasons) by a track by the Girls ?
Knuckles the Dog
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
sultan2075
Overbomber

mh wrote:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Does anyone know of other songs which have been "heavily influenced" (choosing words carefully for legal reasons) by a track by the Girls ?
Knuckles the Dog
Hah! It's been a while since I've heard that. That's definitely Killdozer's high point, I think.

edit: really, thanks. I'd forgotten how much I like that song.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

In terms of superficially faithful but otherwise s**t sisgangers, let's not forget Star Industry. Their sound fills the gap much like Merry Thoughts, if we're prepared to overlook the fact that they have no intelligence, humour or irony - which, of course, we're not. :)
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
Dan
Overbomber

Song title aside, the first few seconds of this always reminded me of something... :lol:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Goths have feelings too
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Dan
Overbomber

Ha, I was told about that song a long time ago but it's the first time I've heard it.
I saw Creaming Jesus at the Duchess once. They didn't play that song... but they were s#ite. :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Creaming Jesus supported the Nephilim on their 1990 tour IIRC. I quite liked them, even to the point of going to see them at Bradford 1-in-12 club.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
deirfiur
Amphetamine Filth

What about any other band that has released sweet f**k all over the last 20 yrs
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

deirfiur wrote:What about any other band that has released sweet f**k all over the last 20 yrs
"Sweet F**k"? I thought it was "F**k all" :D Also thanks again sultan2075, the weekened is over and its back to work.......and Heartland. "Tell me why I don't like monday's...."
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"
James Blast
Banned

just remember how pish Chinese Democracy is, mind you, yr pretty hindered when yr weakest link is yr main man
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

million voices wrote: I agree The Merry Thoughts are certainly a very very poor second to the Sisters. eg the lyrics are one dimensional compared to the Sisters Carry On Film script double meaning (at least). But they are sisteresque - which was the remit
Seconded. Which is why Type o Negative remain the only real Sistersesque substitute in my book. At their weakest (My Girlfriend's Girlfriend = Black Planet), the Sisters' influence was a little too obvious, but their musical breadth and depth, humour, lyrics and Peter Steele's personality over a twenty year career in a slightly different genre (metal) make them stand out from the crowd for me. If you dismissed them as second rate copyists, they're worth another listen whilst we're waiting for the next one to arrive ....
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
million voices wrote: I agree The Merry Thoughts are certainly a very very poor second to the Sisters. eg the lyrics are one dimensional compared to the Sisters Carry On Film script double meaning (at least). But they are sisteresque - which was the remit
Seconded. Which is why Type o Negative remain the only real Sistersesque substitute in my book. At their weakest (My Girlfriend's Girlfriend = Black Planet), the Sisters' influence was a little too obvious, but their musical breadth and depth, humour, lyrics and Peter Steele's personality over a twenty year career in a slightly different genre (metal) make them stand out from the crowd for me. If you dismissed them as second rate copyists, they're worth another listen whilst we're waiting for the next one to arrive ....
..but the sisters aren't crap like ToN :eek:
Goths have feelings too
mh
Above the Chemist

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:My Girlfriend's Girlfriend = Black Planet
Chuffin' 'eck, you're not joking! :eek:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

paint it black wrote: ..but the sisters aren't crap like ToN :eek:
Out of all the bands that were named here! This is the ONLY one where you object?! :lol: :wink:
mh
Above the Chemist

Has nobody mentioned Play Dead yet?

OK, Play Dead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg90B1J5qQk

They don't sound like the Sisters obviously, but they do have a song called Walk Away, and you might like the noise they make.