The worst gigs

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Dan
Overbomber

snowey wrote:The m*****n - Finsbury Park 01.06.1991

The band were very poor that day and topped it off with having a sax player. :eek:
Agree fully. I wasn't there but have the gig on video. I was a big fan of the m*****n up until that point but watching that video was so disappointing. Poor performance and they premiered several new songs which just weren't up to their usual standards, so watching it for the first time there was the initial excitement of new songs quickly followed by the realization that they were rubbish.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Worst gig? That bauhaus one I didn't quite get to :lol:

Seriously, it would have to be a toss up between Sigue Sigue Sputnik and Age of Chance, both around 86/87 in Edinburgh. Both shite!
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

A band called "Getting the Fear" who emerged from the Southern Death Cult - their debut 12" - The Last Salute was pretty good IMHO, but live they were crap. Don't think they lasted long - didn't they become Into a Circle instead?
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

abridged wrote:Christian Death in Sheffield circa 1987 (I think). Boring pretentious twaddle. Supported by Red Lorry Yellow Lorry who anytime I saw them were just dull.
Surely the Lorries 'Nothing Wrong' tour where RLYL were the headliners & Christian Death were the mere support band?

Sisters of Mercy - Manchester Apollo June 1997

The painful point that I realised that the girls would never return to the kind of brilliance, that they oozed in the 80's........a truly terrible show :cry:

The Cult - Bradford St Georges Hall - March 1987

Their gig at Leeds Uni on the Love tour is still one of my favorite gigs of all time. Superb songs from a band right on top of their game. I bought my ticket for Bradford after being a bit confused on hearing Love Removal Machine on the radio & before buying the Electric album. The band had changed from goth legends to ACDC parodying cock rockers without telling me..........bastards. I could have cried at the way that they murdered all the old classics.

The m*****n - Wembley Arena, December 1988.

I loved the Mish for their first 3 years but was sadly too young (16 in 1986) to follow them up & down the country, so had to make do with catching their 6 Leeds/Bradford shows from that period. Wembley was my 7th Mish show but it was the end for me. The new songs were s**t (IMO of course) & they just weren't suited to playing these aircraft hanger sized arena shows. Everything that had been great about their shows on the Uni & City Hall circuit was lost that night......& I never saw them again or bought another record. That said, I'll be there in Leeds in October for my first Mish gig in 23 years. :lol:

Power of Dreams - Leeds Duchess, Early 1993

I used to go to loads of gigs at the Duchess based on a decent live review that I'd read in Sounds/NME etc. I saw some superb gigs this way but alternatively I'd see some third rate s**t & find myself asking myself "Why do I bother doing this?" POD were dull beyond belief & just for good measure I was coming down with food poisoning from a bad take away earlier that evening & was prettty much starting to hallucinate during the gig & after returning home around midnight, threw up about 4 times during the night.

Gaye Bykers On Acid - Leeds Uni October 87 & Leeds Duchess April 1990.

Why oh, why did I let the NME talk me into thinking this lot were anything other than utter s**t? Two terrible gigs without a decent tune on show.

Birdland - Leeds Duchess early 1993

An incredible live band in 1989 & 90 but the brothers unwisely returned with two new members & half a set of terrible new songs for this final hurrah. Sometimes it's much, much better to quietly disappear leaving the great memories behind, than die on stage infront of 2 dozen shellshocked old fans. :eek:
Give me one good reason
Garbageman

The Cult at Nottingham Royal Centre on the Electric tour. Second rate rock with no soul. They have redeemed themselves since BGAE and are back with truely great shows.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

Killing Joke warm up show at Heaven '09

Several factors contributed to this being a failure, they did play some great songs but it was far too focused on the first 2 albums( as great as they are) and the first 2 albums only, not even anything from Revelations which is surely the best of their original period?? Nothing off of Night Time/Brighter either aside from the obvious Eighties and Love Like Blood (the sole moment of the show which even generated a response in me), otherwise ruined by balding sweaty fuckers pushing around like it was a moshpit, I've been to death metal gigs but I was here to see Killing Joke as a fan primarily of their dramatic, synth driven middle era, something which has been criminally ignored and forgotten by the band and most of their fans it seems...

..sad really, they have such a rich and impressive back catalogue to choose from but they pander to the hipsters and sad old ex-punks who only care to hear "Requiem" for the 500th odd time. Jaz Coleman is one hell of a guy to watch on stage though, and Geordie was every bit the coolest guy ever as I had imagined. Not a TOTAL cockup by any means but a dissapointment, I suppose I should have expected Killing Joke live to be like that
Debaser
Overbomber

AdrenaChris wrote:
but they pander to the sad old ex-punks
That'll be me then :lol: - I got VERY annoyed when I went to see them do the first two albums and the fukkers slipped bleedin' 'Asteroooooooooooooooooooid' in. And you can NEVER hear Pssyche too many times. :P
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
James Blast
Banned

I think you're a cunt and look forward to your "balding sweaty f**ker" days!

Get Bent Erse!!! :evil:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Debaser
Overbomber

and while I'm at it - I bet Youth justs loves playing stuff he had nothing to do with. :)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

AdrenaChris wrote: but I was here to see Killing Joke as a fan primarily of their dramatic, synth driven middle era, something which has been criminally ignored and forgotten by the band and most of their fans it seems...
Is it just me or does this sound like someone complaining that they went to see David Bowie and he played nothing from Tin Machine or Tonight... :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Garbageman

markfiend wrote:
AdrenaChris wrote: but I was here to see Killing Joke as a fan primarily of their dramatic, synth driven middle era, something which has been criminally ignored and forgotten by the band and most of their fans it seems...
Is it just me or does this sound like someone complaining that they went to see David Bowie and he played nothing from Tin Machine or Tonight... :innocent:
Nice one Mr Fiend!
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Garbageman wrote:
markfiend wrote:
Nice one Mr Fiend!
Seconded. I assume AdrenaChris had his tongue firmly in his proverbial. And whilst we're on the subject of KJ, has there ever been a better back to form album than "Extremities, Dirt etc" ?
sultan2075
Overbomber

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
Garbageman wrote:
markfiend wrote: Is it just me or does this sound like someone complaining that they went to see David Bowie and he played nothing from Tin Machine or Tonight... :innocent:
Nice one Mr Fiend!
Seconded. I assume AdrenaChris had his tongue firmly in his proverbial. And whilst we're on the subject of KJ, has there ever been a better back to form album than "Extremities, Dirt etc" ?
They never really clicked for me, but I do quite like that record. I remember purchasing it on cassette tape--with no idea who they were. I just thought any record called Extremities, Dirt, and Various Repressed Emotions had to be good. I was right.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
James Blast
Banned

Adrena's a young smart erse and should be avoided, he'll eventually grow up and hopefully man up, admit he was a COCK! and see the world thru' older een. TIT
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

EatB - Hall underneath the Dundee Caird Hall
I'm sorry, this should be in my top 5 gigs, I was prolly bevvied sorry when I made the original post, or my age is showing :|
~ Peter Steele
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Debaser wrote:And you can NEVER hear Pssyche too many times. :P
Oh yeah. Back in the day, that would definitely fill the dancefloor at the Porterhouse.
Debaser
Overbomber

bearskin wrote: the Porterhouse.
Oh what memories, if you were bored you'd head off to see a band at the Poterhouse, nine times out of ten it'd be the UK Subs :lol:

My shins have scars from that 'stage' to this day!
Garbageman

Debaser wrote:
Oh what memories, if you were bored you'd head off to see a band at the Poterhouse, nine times out of ten it'd be the UK Subs :lol:

Or The Meteors or Alien Sex Fiend.
Debaser
Overbomber

Garbageman wrote:
Debaser wrote:

Think I only saw the Meteors there once - frightened the bejezus outta me! :lol: :lol: I stayed well at the back
Garbageman

Debaser wrote:
Garbageman wrote:
Debaser wrote: Oh what memories, if you were bored you'd head off to see a band at the Poterhouse, nine times out of ten it'd be the UK Subs :lol:

Think I only saw the Meteors there once - frightened the bejezus outta me! :lol: :lol: I stayed well at the back
Things were always...........hectic at the Meteors!!
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Garbageman wrote:
Debaser wrote:
Garbageman wrote:Or The Meteors or Alien Sex Fiend.
Was just thinking about the Meteors last week (for the first time in about twenty years) when watching the riots coverage. Anyone else remember he lyrics to Wreckin' Crew (always a favourite down the Phono - usually sandwiched in between Queen Bitch and The Original Sin).
Garbageman

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
Garbageman wrote:
Debaser wrote: Think I only saw the Meteors there once - frightened the bejezus outta me! :lol: :lol: I stayed well at the back
Was just thinking about the Meteors last week (for the first time in about twenty years) when watching the riots coverage. Anyone else remember he lyrics to Wreckin' Crew (always a favourite down the Phono - usually sandwiched in between Queen Bitch and The Original Sin).
Remember the lyrics very well