Lucretia's bassline

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth
Location: At the place where the bars never close (not that soon, at least)

I remember having read somewhere Patricia saying "of course she had recorded 'some' bass for the album".. and that maybe not all of it got into the final mixes. She mentioned some funky lines on Driven (which are there, but are not the main bass line... they pan left and right at around the middle and the end of the main bass riff thing).

About Lucretia, I'm pretty sure she didn't record it. You just have to watch the "semi-live" promo that's on youtube. The studio bassline goes nonstop, all notes of the riff with the same duration, and Pat put's a pause there after the E that doesn't exist.

Which doesn't mean at all she can't play bass. I don't know why you would hire a bass player and not use it, I guess only insiders of the recording session would know.

:)
Introducing....Gothzilla?!?
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Maybe they intentionally changed the Lucretia bassline; doesn't the current band play the riff with a quarter note there, as well? I can't remember how James played it, and it might be difficult to tell anyway with the hi-hat clinking along.

I think Morrison also claimed to have recorded bass for Emma, aknowledging that the bits she did were moved around in the production.
Last edited by centurionofprix on 04 Jan 2012, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
damagedone

This song is the perfect pacemaker :D
Keep Music Evil
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Guedzilla wrote:IWhich doesn't mean at all she can't play bass. I don't know why you would hire a bass player and not use it, I guess only insiders of the recording session would know.

Has anyone actually suggested that she can't play? The debate's about whether she did.

Thinking about it, Von's comment about "if she'd ever bothered to lift up her bass" (if that's what he said) may not mean that she never did - just that she didn't do it as often as he would have liked. That would reconcile what he said with her assertion that she did play and the fact that there's another bass player credited on the album.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

stufarq wrote:
Guedzilla wrote:IWhich doesn't mean at all she can't play bass. I don't know why you would hire a bass player and not use it, I guess only insiders of the recording session would know.

Has anyone actually suggested that she can't play? The debate's about whether she did.

Thinking about it, Von's comment about "if she'd ever bothered to lift up her bass" (if that's what he said) may not mean that she never did - just that she didn't do it as often as he would have liked. That would reconcile what he said with her assertion that she did play and the fact that there's another bass player credited on the album.
he tried to shag her. she said no,. simplez
Goths have feelings too
Being645
Wiki Wizard

paint it black wrote:
stufarq wrote:

In that case: No love, no shag, no cry ... simple as that, I'd say ...

still ... things are never as simple and easy as a few easy and simple words can tell ... at the latest in the long run ... :wink: ...
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth

paint it black wrote:
stufarq wrote:

Mistery solved. Next. :D

Oh, I had the impression someone implied she couldn't play. Too much coffee I guess (or not enough).
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Guedzilla wrote:Too much coffee I guess (or not enough).
Too much, but never enough? :innocent:
in dub we trust
Being645
Wiki Wizard

radiojamaica wrote:
Guedzilla wrote:Too much coffee I guess (or not enough).
Too much, but never enough? :innocent:

We all get hurt by love ...
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth

The art of quoting lyrics, one I have yet to master. :)
paint it black

Guedzilla wrote:
Mistery solved. Next. :D

Oh, I had the impression someone implied she couldn't play. Too much coffee I guess (or not enough).
Correct. It was a feudal system and he did, but I don't believe him.

I am the carry a bag man ;D
Goths have feelings too
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

So does that mean that at some point he claimed that Ofra Haza didn't sing on TOL92? And should we reassess Gary Marx's supposed absence from the RHEP?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
paint it black

paint it black wrote:
stufarq wrote:

when he said that he wanted her out of the band (probably the reason for withholding her payrise) and long after Floodland was in the can. In fact after the imho best tracks on VT had been created and on which she had major creative input.

of course Lucretia isn't a live bass, but it doesn't mean it didn't start life with her playing it.
Goths have feelings too
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

paint it black wrote:In fact after the imho best tracks on VT had been created and on which she had major creative input.
Did she? So was the complaint about her not being credited to do with VT rather than Floodland?

How do we know she was involved with VT? I don't remember hearing that before.
paint it black

paint it black wrote:I am the carry a bag man ;D
this is also a joke :P
Goths have feelings too
paint it black

stufarq wrote:
paint it black wrote:In fact after the imho best tracks on VT had been created and on which she had major creative input.
Did she? So was the complaint about her not being credited to do with VT rather than Floodland?

How do we know she was involved with VT? I don't remember hearing that before.
friends in low slung places
Goths have feelings too
Being645
Wiki Wizard

stufarq wrote:
IIRC, she never actually complained ... maybe years later but not at the time - they had an agreement!!!

Still, I wonder how comes that people seem to hate and disregard her so thoroughly even nowadays ...

as if she had been worse than Wayne ... :roll: ...
copper
Amphetamine Filth

"As Sounds exclusively revealed last week, Morrison is no longer in The Sisters Of Mercy, and hasn't worked with Eldritch since December (1989).

Until that time, the pair had been working with new Sisters, guitarist Andreas Bruhn (who had previously played in a series of German bands), on material for the Sisters' next album.

Patricia says that she had "convinced Andrew to tour" and "didn't have any inkling that this was going to happen"."

Of the new sisters material, Patricia says: "I wasn't too thrilled with the direction the record was going in. There were elements I ddin't like that could have gone eitehr way, and now that Tony James is in I want nothing to do with it. It seems obvious what's going on - it's scam time..."

- http://www.ultimatesistersguide.org/doc ... htm#div000
centurionofprix

Huh. That's completely the opposite of the usual story! (especially the fact that Morrison claims it was she that convinced Elditch to go on tour, which implies she herself had some confidence in her bass skills of the time)

(sorry, I guess that's obvious :lol: )
Pista
Cureboi

All that aside, the current live bass line is somewhat disappointing when compared to the original dontcha think?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Pista wrote:All that aside, the current live bass line is somewhat disappointing when compared to the original dontcha think?
Seconded. It's improving though, as I could notice during the latest gigs ... :wink:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

copper wrote:"As Sounds exclusively revealed last week, Morrison is no longer in The Sisters Of Mercy, and hasn't worked with Eldritch since December (1989).

Until that time, the pair had been working with new Sisters, guitarist Andreas Bruhn (who had previously played in a series of German bands), on material for the Sisters' next album.

Patricia says that she had "convinced Andrew to tour" and "didn't have any inkling that this was going to happen"."

Of the new sisters material, Patricia says: "I wasn't too thrilled with the direction the record was going in. There were elements I ddin't like that could have gone eitehr way, and now that Tony James is in I want nothing to do with it. It seems obvious what's going on - it's scam time..."

- http://www.ultimatesistersguide.org/doc ... htm#div000
Thanks for that. Never seen it before.
Being645 wrote:
stufarq wrote:
IIRC, she never actually complained ... maybe years later but not at the time - they had an agreement!!!

Still, I wonder how comes that people seem to hate and disregard her so thoroughly even nowadays ...

I'm sure there was definitely something at the time. I clearly remember a Q interview with Eldritch when VT was released. It said that, as well as the ongoing legal battle with Wayne ("I use a nice guy. Very polite, very well spoken"), Von was now being sued by Patricia but he couldn't speak about it. (When asked why his former bandmates kept taking him to court, he said that he didn't think he was really a bad guy but rather "a good guy who can shoot".)

NB the quotes are from memory and may not be entirely accurate.

Do people really hate Patricia nowadays? I see a lot of mockery, although a lot of that seems to be more mockery of the whole question of whether she played rather than aimed directly at her.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

stufarq wrote:
Being645 wrote:
stufarq wrote: Did she? So was the complaint about her not being credited to do with VT rather than Floodland?

I'm sure there was definitely something at the time. I clearly remember a Q interview with Eldritch when VT was released. It said that, as well as the ongoing legal battle with Wayne ("I use a nice guy. Very polite, very well spoken"), Von was now being sued by Patricia but he couldn't speak about it. (When asked why his former bandmates kept taking him to court, he said that he didn't think he was really a bad guy but rather "a good guy who can shoot".)

NB the quotes are from memory and may not be entirely accurate.
Perhaps one can find that interview somewhere ...
stufarq wrote: Do people really hate Patricia nowadays? I see a lot of mockery, although a lot of that seems to be more mockery of the whole question of whether she played rather than aimed directly at her.
Well, basically I think those who dish out should be able to take ...

And rest assured that my opinion of that lady is ... eh, not the best.

BUT still, I see no reason to deny that she has done a few things quite ok ... :wink: ...
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Being645 wrote:Perhaps one can find that interview somewhere ...
It would be nice to although it didn't say much that's relevant to this thread. Most of it was about why he chose to work with the guy from Sigue Sigue Sputnik.
christophe
Overbomber

stufarq wrote:Another possibility is that we've all misinterpreted the context and Von was referring not to the recording but to some reason for them never playing live. Maybe he wanted to and she didn't. All speculation of course.
I always thought he tried to say that she did not contributed in writing the songs. she might have played the bass but all under the strict guidelines pointed out by :von:
before he was just a member of the group but after the split he became TSOM, so I can understand him making that remark.
Another Shade of You.