m e g a upload is shafted

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:
stufarq wrote:
markfiend wrote:If the MPAA / RIAA / etc. got off their arses and provided ways for us, the consumer, to download their content easily and legally, for a fee, just imagine how much money they could make.
Um, iTunes or, as you say yourself, Amazon, HMV etc etc.
Oops, yes, I meant Hollywood; the Music industry has indeed (finally) seen sense.
How do things like Netflix and the like stand on that one? I haven't used any of them so I don't know how good, legal etc they are. Are they the movie equaivalent of iTunes or something else? Come to think of it, doesn't iTunes do movies too? (I gave up on iTunes pretty much after the first time I used it so I'm not up to date with its services.)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well, yes, Netflix is looking like a good start, also there is the "ultraviolet" thing coming through too.

Basically, the studios' anti-piracy plan should be: make good stuff, then make it easy for people to buy it.

The music industry has largely come round (lossless codecs aside) and the film industry is starting to. They don't need to go after illegal download sites with the law if they can outcompete them in the marketplace.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Muzak and filums industries went far with finding solutions on making money on 'their' work. One of that is- free listening/watching after 30 sec of ads, or simple ad breaks (vide South Park). I don't see nothing wrong with that, it's fair solutions, i got something basically for free- they got money, it's like with ad break during watching TV- it's a time to do something else.

They will find more solutions because they have to; sharing illegal copies of copyright subjects such as films (incl. TV shows) and music is unstoppable. After all we are all commies- we want to have things for free and we believe that is our right, and all that Robin Hood way of thinking is very common. :lol:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

One of the things they need to realise is that they're not actually losing that much money from it. There are basically three types of downloader:
- those who pay to download legally - the industry makes money from them
- those who download illegally to sample and then buy what they like - the industry makes money from them too
- those who download illegally because, for whatever reason, they have no intention of buying - the industry isn't gonna make money from them and never would have. If they don't download illegally, they just won't get the music at all.

This isn't really about money, it's about ownership and the industries need to decide when control of ownership is really important and when it isn't. And they also have to realise that, sometimes, relaxing that control benefits them.

As for the whole lossless thing, the people who care about that need to realise that they're in the minority. The reason the music industry uses mp3s is because most downloaders want to put music on their mp3 players. So of course it makes perfect sense to sell mp3 downloads and selling any lossless codec would just be stupid. And, like it or not, the vast majority of people are perfectly happy with their lossy mp3s and always will be. The world at large just doesn't care about FLAC or any other lossless codec. It's the preserve of enthusiasts. It's like, after the video format war was won, people banging on telling the industry that they should be releasing their product in Betamax rather than VHS.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Agreed on all counts, and furthermore, if you really want FLAC or other lossless codec, you can always buy the CD and rip it yourself ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

and that is what we are doing now! :wink:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:Agreed on all counts, and furthermore, if you really want FLAC or other lossless codec, you can always buy the CD and rip it yourself ;)
Absolutely. As long as the CD isn't DRMA protected. I don't think they do it any more but there was a brief period where some CDs did have DRMA and wouldn't even play on some standard CD players.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

My Dominion wrote:So as I understand well .......

When the ACTA law is accepted by the members of the EU and other countries (signing in Tokyo at February 29th, 2012) I am forced to close down my website www.mydominionnl.com, because a large part of my site is based on contents of the world wide web ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlFyoEKV0dE
Anyway, here's a link to some online petition ...
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/eu_save_the_internet/?fp
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:
markfiend wrote:Agreed on all counts, and furthermore, if you really want FLAC or other lossless codec, you can always buy the CD and rip it yourself ;)
Absolutely. As long as the CD isn't DRMA protected. I don't think they do it any more but there was a brief period where some CDs did have DRMA and wouldn't even play on some standard CD players.
Ah yes. The Sony rootkit fiasco. (Obligatory clicky).

Those rootkitted "CD's" were perfectly rippable on a Mac (and I assume on Linux, but they predate my Linux days).

(I put CDs in quotes because technically the copy protection meant that they didn't actually conform to the CD standard. That's why some CD players wouldn't play them.)
—Bertrand Russell
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:Ah yes. The Sony rootkit fiasco. (Obligatory clicky).
:eek: :!:

WTF were they thinking? Apart from creating a gate for other spyware and security risks, installing something silently on another person's computer is basically violating someone else's property :eek:
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Still, that's nothing compared to what they are up to now ... :urff: ...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

So you don't know that EU authorities are up to look closely and maybe even change current law, plus now when there is anti-acta movement(s) they will send that agreement to European Court of Justice to check if it inconsistent with EU law. Now.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

If anything, ACTA is even worse than SOPA and PIPA.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

i heard or read something completely opposite- SOPA and PIPA is a implemntation of ACTA and its lot more threat to US and A citizens. And that US and A did that to show they treat serious all those ACTA thing.
But, again, i didn't read SOPA or PIPA so i don't know; this mess fuss about ACTA, SOPA and PIPA melted all those three acts into one to some- that doesn't help at all.

p.s. i may looks like i'm a bit trolling but, i like to make things straight, emotion is not what we need in that situations.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Bartek wrote:i heard or read something completely opposite- SOPA and PIPA is a implemntation of ACTA and its lot more threat to US and A citizens. And that US and A did that to show they treat serious all those ACTA thing.
But, again, i didn't read SOPA or PIPA so i don't know; this mess fuss about ACTA, SOPA and PIPA melted all those three acts into one to some- that doesn't help at all.

p.s. i may looks like i'm a bit trolling but, i like to make things straight, emotion is not what we need in that situations.
Oh, not at all ... However, ACTA was originally initiated by Japan and the US ...

Here's everything you need to know ...
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I just saw that Deichkind made a song about this whole thing. In December already. I'm not sure what their position is, even though my German is fluent :lol: but anyway, I like those guys. Enjoy:

Deichkind - Illegale Fans video
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:Ah yes. The Sony rootkit fiasco. (Obligatory clicky).

Those rootkitted "CD's" were perfectly rippable on a Mac (and I assume on Linux, but they predate my Linux days).

(I put CDs in quotes because technically the copy protection meant that they didn't actually conform to the CD standard. That's why some CD players wouldn't play them.)
Hadn't realised they installed software on PCs. I very rarely put a commercial CD in a computer but I'm pretty sure I have a couple of the affected ones so I'll have to bear it in mind.