The Great Heartland Biscuit Thread™

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

My weekly shopping list has taken an unusually biscuity turn.
Kit Kats now added.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:My weekly shopping list has taken an unusually biscuity turn.
Kit Kats now added.
For non dunking purposes Fruit Shortcake is great! :wink: Just imagine the ancient and dignified tea ceremony and then someone dunks whatever the equivalent of a digestive is in Japan...
The Chancer Corporation
Pista
Cureboi

abridged wrote:
Kit Kats now added.
For non dunking purposes Fruit Shortcake is great! :wink: Just imagine the ancient and dignified tea ceremony and then someone dunks whatever the equivalent of a digestive is in Japan...
Not a fan of fruity biccies.
I think that partly due to my mum raising me to believe Garibaldis really had squashed flies in them
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
UnnaturalDisaster
Road Kill

Kit Kats now added.
Have you ever witnessed anyone just taking a big bite out of a four-finger Kit-Kat rather than breaking off a finger at a time? It's positively distressing.
"This is Jenny. She's the family sadist."
ruffers
Overbomber

Sorry about that.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Always thought it would be the m*****n/Sisters schism that would tear the forum apart but it is going to be biccie etiquette that does it. :wink:
The Chancer Corporation
Pista
Cureboi

abridged wrote:Always thought it would be the m*****n/Sisters schism that would tear the forum apart but it is going to be biccie etiquette that does it. :wink:
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Swinnow
Overbomber

I don't mind a fruity biccie, but only when the mood is right and certainly not for dunking. Mind you, the exception is a fruit club which is an abomination to my eyes, an abomination I tell you.

And I speak as one of the chosen who can groove happily, in an admittedly dad dancing way nowadays, to both the Mish and the Girls.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
iesus
Overbomber

macarons count as biscuits?

'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Pista
Cureboi

iesus wrote:macarons count as biscuits?

Oh gawd, my shopping list needs extending....again.
I might even bake this week now
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Swinnow
Overbomber

We had foie gras macarons, weird huh, but a delightful error made during a shopping trip to Salut in the Dordogne by the then Ms Swinnow. We felt very decadent scoffing them with a fine red by our gites' pool while watching the French version of the Red Arrows throw their shapes in the sky above us. Swinnow Jnr was a bit scared when his Mum told him that they weren't our Air Force lol
Microcosmia
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Swinnow wrote:We had foie gras macarons, weird huh, but a delightful error made during a shopping trip to Salut in the Dordogne by the then Ms Swinnow. We felt very decadent scoffing them with a fine red by our gites' pool while watching the French version of the Red Arrows throw their shapes in the sky above us. Swinnow Jnr was a bit scared when his Mum told him that they weren't our Air Force loll

I must remember this strategy in case we're ever invaded, it would surely confound the enemy.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Microcosmia wrote:I must remember this strategy in case we're ever invaded, it would surely confound the enemy.
I believe there is an English invasion of Dublin planned for this weekend, your pubs may take a hammering lol.
Pista
Cureboi

Swinnow wrote:
Microcosmia wrote:I must remember this strategy in case we're ever invaded, it would surely confound the enemy.
I believe there is an English invasion of Dublin planned for this weekend, your pubs may take a hammering lol.
Take biscuits. LOTS of them :twisted:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
EvilBastard
Overbomber

iesus wrote:macarons count as biscuits?
Yes, these fall under Category #3: Hybrids. Since these are technically 2 biscuits, with a filling adhering Biscuit A to Biscuit B (see diagram 143 in your Biscuit Recognition Manual*), masquerading as a single biscuit, these are classified in the same group as Oreos, Wagon Wheels, and the like.

*What do yew mean, "I wasn't issued with a Biscuit Recognition Manual, sarn't-major"? Yew 'orrible little man! Ow exactly did yew suppose yew were goin to pass Basic Field Identification of Biscuits, Teacakes, Scones, and Muffins without referring to the Manual? This book is your best friend, my lad - without it, ow do yew know if the sound yew ear a-comin through the morning mists is a raiding party of Lincolns intent on ambushing yew and your mates, turning yew into Very Sorry Squaddies Indeed, or the Jammy Dodgers coming to relieve your position?
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Swinnow
Overbomber

It'll be OK 'cos the locals call them 'niece' biscuits too, language difficulties have been avoided.
Microcosmia

Pista wrote:
Swinnow wrote:
Take biscuits. LOTS of them :twisted:
I'd best study this then :D http://www.dailyedge.ie/irish-biscuits- ... ?jrnl_lg=1

Did you know that May 29th is National Biscuit Day? And how could I forget that the next worst biscuit after Nice is surely Polo.... :lol:
Swinnow
Overbomber

Oh heck, tea cakes could start another war.... Can you believe that, despite my many years of missionary work in the semi civilised bits of West Yorkshire, the locals still insist the tea cakes do not contain currants, heathens.

Don't get me started on custard slices, please.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Swinnow wrote:Oh heck, tea cakes could start another war.... Can you believe that, despite my many years of missionary work in the semi civilised bits of West Yorkshire, the locals still insist the tea cakes do not contain currants, heathens.

Don't get me started on custard slices, please.
Surely a fruitless teacake is...a muffin? Possibly a pikelet.
Hank Moody
Swinnow
Overbomber

Nope, in Leeds a fruitless tea cake is called a tea cake rather than a bap, balm or bread cake. A similar item containing one of your five-a-day is, excitingly, named a currant tea cake. Typical Yorkshire bloody mindedness if you ask me.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Swinnow wrote:Nope, in Leeds a fruitless tea cake is called a tea cake rather than a bap, balm or bread cake. A similar item containing one of your five-a-day is, excitingly, named a currant tea cake. Typical Yorkshire bloody mindedness if you ask me.
Hold on - surely a bap is synonymous with farl, barmcake, and bread roll? A conveyance for a sandwich, typically not sweet - the Murton Bakery on Cardigan Road used to sell a ham salad bap, a good 6-8" across, stuffed full of goodies.

While a fruitless teacake isn't baplike, since it's flat, you can't stuff it, and if you were prepared to toast a bap then I'm afraid I shall have to ask you to step outside.
Hank Moody
Swinnow
Overbomber

I have knowledge of food outlets on Cardigan Rd and surrounding streets lol. The 6"-8" size is impressive and this would lead to my Geordie friends bringing stotties to the table.

But surely both fruit bearing tea cakes and the barren variety are essentially bap like in shape. They are flat on the bottom and slightly domed on the top.

I do agree that toasting a bap is a waste of electricity.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Talking of bap sellers in Leeds, I do recommend Woodends butchers on the Otley Rd in Adel (near the Lawnswood pub), though get there early before the local bizzies descend on shift change and empty their larder.
UnnaturalDisaster
Road Kill

Swinnow wrote:Nope, in Leeds a fruitless tea cake is called a tea cake rather than a bap, balm or bread cake.
I've spent a good five minutes wrestling with the idea of a fruitless tea cake... though even they can't be such a brazen slap in the face to the good name of tea cakes as these revolting things:

"This is Jenny. She's the family sadist."
Alex66

UnnaturalDisaster wrote:
Swinnow wrote:Nope, in Leeds a fruitless tea cake is called a tea cake rather than a bap, balm or bread cake.
I've spent a good five minutes wrestling with the idea of a fruitless tea cake... though even they can't be such a brazen slap in the face to the good name of tea cakes as these revolting things:

I like them, now I may go to the 24hr Supermarket to get some, well we are low on bread and I do fancy some other biscuits. Just don't feel like going out at the moment.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol