Puzzled

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
An
Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:
duskwind wrote:I've been listening to the albums a bit more attentively regarding singing style after the show and I noticed that he rarely put much strength into singing. So it probably was effortless for him for a long time and now it isn't anymore... I still think he could have learned some more control and direction at the time when it wasn't easy anymore.
Hi duskwind ... welcome to the forum ... it's been with pleasure that I read your first post and also the recent one.

As to the singing style ... I think that especially FALAA recordings took a very long time and endless re-re-re-recordings, because Andrew put an enormous lot effort into a) every word of the lyrics and b) find out about his voice in detail and make sure that his vocals would convey them as perfect as possible ... never so during gigs, which have always been the acutalised improvisation of the day. An old tradtion in music, although it might be interesting to know who first started being bold enough NOT to present their music exactly as on record as soon as records were invented and henceforth created according expectations among listeners. Could it be, that developed from resistence and underground chansonniers in the 1920s? Don't know.
I like that question, very interesting. Tangerine Dream for example used to not play their records on stage, but totally improvised each Show. Of course they were just an instrumental band, of course there should be even earlier musicians that did it, of course I think I´m a bit off topic now;-)

For the topic itself, it´s sad that the glorious voice is gone, too much smoke indeed, but still better than playbacking like Roger Waters does it sometimes now. In case of sacrileg; I saw them in Vienna, was it just me thinking that there could be in fact some playback from E. too? Just a thought....

Of course it wasn´t a show from 1982-85 in some obscure club anymore, but it was still a very entertaining one if you were prepared for it....