2023-11-19 Rock City Nottingham UK

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
jande
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Missed the 'Dylan years' entirely, whether that was due to indifference, previous gig disappointment, money, time or a combination of them all.
So as we're 'local' (now) took the breadknife down to Rock City. She's not attended a sisters gig for donkeys.
We got there about 18.50 to be met by the largest queue to get in that I've seen in a while, by the time they came on the venue was rammed.

The missus was very surprised at how she knew so many of the 'newer' songs (But Genevieve, On the beach, When I'm on fire, Eyes of Caligula) and how much better :von: was both vocally, even without Ben's help, and his presence and interaction with the band and the crowd.
I myself have had a Leamington Spa moment and though my love for the them 'live' does wane occasionally, you get a superb gig and find you have been bitten again (pun intended) and reminded just how good they can be.

Anyhow that's me back to hiding again, apart from the occasional sojourn into the 'song title thread'
Say!
In the dark? Here in the dark!
Would you, could you, in the dark?
iesus
Overbomber

That Sax with the band is Brilliant!
Love the way they did Lucretia! Hope a video will emerge with Sandstorm and Dominion too! :bat: :bat:
Amazing! More Sax please! in every song it can intergrate!!! :notworthy: :bat: :bat: :bat:
Thank you to Phil that uploaded :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Being645
Intellectual Love God

mh wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 09:57 Lucretia with extended section (not my video)

Oh wow, that's wonderful ... ;D ;D ;D ... and it gives The Sisters and the air of Floodland something back that somewhat got missed long ago underway ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

Thanks btw for confirming the setlist, mh ... :D :notworthy: ...
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

It's really glorious to see the effort they're putting into these performances. Where will it all end??
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

some interesting 85ish sounds in marians refrain, not sure if its the recording(quality) or real though
love is just a shot away
Dr. Moody

Lucky bastards! That's amazing, love it.
Being645
Intellectual Love God

More videos are coming up ... :D :D :D ... many, many thanks to the uploader ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

Alice ... that sounds rocking cool ... ;D

Summer ... beautiful as always ... ;D ...
Last edited by Being645 on 20 Nov 2023, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
Gothicbiff

Thanks for the links Being645 :notworthy:

I'll be watching all the recent UK videos on the train from Glasgow to Manchester tomorrow :D
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Blimey, yesterday. I can only echo what has already been said, on here and on social media (cheers Charlie), the band are currently as hot and rocking as they possibly ever have been. Fkng awesome for a million reasons. Great night in great company, time well spent in the excellent Tap & Tumbler, as evidenced below, in a photo which may well contain the most glorious photobomb ever, indeed the only person allowed to photobomb a pic of Charlie with a Sisters Guitar Legend ;D :lol: :notworthy:

Absolutely did not expect Mr Kilburn to be doing his thing again, was blown to kingdom come by it, just magnificent beyond words.

Easily the best gig I've seen since, hmm, well Wolverhampton really, which was just as top notch. This week is already the best holiday I've ever had, and we've not even reached Manchester yet. Love it :von: 8) :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

edit: forgot to say, The Virginmarys were superb again 8) :notworthy: missed picking up their cd last night as I didn't know they were downstairs signing and selling it, didn't know there even was a downstairs. Tomorrow!
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Gothicbiff wrote: 19 Nov 2023, 17:04 It's my birthday today. I've never seen The Sisters on my birthday. I would love to be there tonight but it wasn't to be :(
My birthday wish is that everyone has an amazing time 8)
Oh no! Seeing the Sisters on my birthday in September at Camden was literrally one of the very best birthdays i have ever had or ever will! if its any consolation i had to wait 39 years for them to play on that date after York Racecourse festival. :kiss:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid

Planet Dave wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 16:40 Blimey, yesterday. I can only echo what has already been said, on here and on social media (cheers Charlie), the band are currently as hot and rocking as they possibly ever have been. Fkng awesome for a million reasons. Great night in great company, time well spent in the excellent Tap & Tumbler, as evidenced below, in a photo which may well contain the most glorious photobomb ever, indeed the only person allowed to photobomb a pic of Charlie with a Sisters Guitar Legend ;D :lol: :notworthy:

Absolutely did not expect Mr Kilburn to be doing his thing again, was blown to kingdom come by it, just magnificent beyond words.

Easily the best gig I've seen since, hmm, well Wolverhampton really, which was just as top notch. This week is already the best holiday I've ever had, and we've not even reached Manchester yet. Love it :von: 8) :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

edit: forgot to say, The Virginmarys were superb again 8) :notworthy: missed picking up their cd last night as I didn't know they were downstairs signing and selling it, didn't know there even was a downstairs. Tomorrow!
loving the pic Mrs Whelan! Not bad for a lass who 4 years ago didnt go to gigs... :innocent:
@Planet Dave : she's hussling you bro! reckon you should put a ring on it while youre winning... :P
[/well-intentioned wooden spoon]

Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

:lol: :lol: :lol: naughty man! :kiss:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
H. Blackrose

iesus wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 10:59
Amazing! More Sax please! in every song it can intergrate!!! :notworthy: :bat: :bat: :bat:
Sounds like the perfect opportunity for Von to finally announce the live debut of "New World Order"
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
H. Blackrose

Planet Dave wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 16:40 the band are currently as hot and rocking as they possibly ever have been.
Absolutely amazing considering the people on Facebook - and some old-timers here who only appear every 5 years or so - coming out of the woodwork, when Dylan left or when Von was too sick to play, to scream about how TSOM are a farce and a travesty and an insult and Von's personally ripping them off and he should have retired decades ago.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Being645
Intellectual Love God

Planet Dave wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 16:40
What a lovely photo ... ;D :notworthy: ... and with Lemmy in the background, that's just perfect ... :lol: ;D :notworthy: ...

Thanks for the review as well ... if I didn't know better I'd say the best shows always take place in the UK ... *sigh ...
but hell, that's just not true and the most importantt thing anyway is that they take place at all ... ;D ;D ;D ...
eastmidswhizzkid

Rock City is the Eastmidlands spirtual home of Goth. Ive seen the Sisters play there about 7 or 8 times and some have been f**king blinders othrs you find yourself unable to breath cuz the place is over-sold and theyve not opened the balcony or some s**t. Not the Sisters fault but it can be an uncomfortable venue at times. Still wish i had gone. Never mind. There's always the next time.
SISTERS FOREVER , FOREVER SISTERS. :wake: :von: :hl:

Craig Fox
Road Kill

Exactly this ref Rock City - been enough times before and the sound is one of the best but Sunday night was mental - shocking view crammed in at the back and needed some air con - wont be a place I rush back to in any hurry.

Saying that what a gig. Was fortunate (!) enough to be at the 2 Roundhouse ones - 1st was obviously historical for all the wrong reasons and the sound for me was very badly mixed. The 2nd night was one of the worst Ive seen in a long time, they gave it a good go but the sound had no depth due to Dylans absence and Ben was lead vocalist. i came away thinking I'd probably seen the last Sisters gig, Von's voice had given up the ghost and didn't know where they went from there.

How wrong I was - Rock City (cr@p conditions apart) was unbelievable. Kai is tailor made to be a Sister, musically and looks/stage presence. Ben was his usual solid self, better for me with reduced vocal reliance where i thought both he and Kai where on the point with backing vocals when required. Chris did Chris things (anyone any news on Ravey?) but the glorious triumph was Von - turning back the years (and following recent bouts of illness) was by far his best performance in a long long time. Vocals were crisp and audible - if this is down to the mixing levels etc then fair play Rock City cos it rocked.

So, Roundhouse day 1 7/10. .......... day 2 2/10 and Rock City a very very solid 9/10!
Just hope the album is out in time for Christmas :-)
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Must be a question of timing and location (if you arrive early enough to choose). We were on the barrier, unexpectedly as there were a fair number of people in front of us in the queue (half of them musta gone upstairs I guess), and sure it was busy but nowhere near the squash I'd been led to expect, not even comparable to the sardinery down the front at the Roundhouse. I loved the place and will go again for sure.
barbaralesz
Road Kill

Wow. I see that the concerts in the UK are lit. Even thought the gig in Łódź was amazing, I think next time I'll come, especially if the venue is special in some way :D
It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.
Being645
Intellectual Love God

And here it is - Sandstorm - Dominion / Mother Russia ... ;D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ... thousands of thanks to KGLoki ... :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: ...

in the channel of whom, almost the whole show is featured in single track videos ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

Being645
Intellectual Love God

It's just incredible how good they sound in all these videos from the recent shows ... :eek: :eek: :eek: ... Especially Andrew's voice ...
as if some long-lasting pressure had been taken away from him and he feels like playing with it again ... hah, sigh ... :D :D :D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

iesus
Overbomber

Being645 wrote: 21 Nov 2023, 21:46 And here it is - Sandstorm - Dominion / Mother Russia ... ;D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ... thousands of thanks to KGLoki ... :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: ...

in the channel of whom, almost the whole show is featured in single track videos ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

At last the moment found the path to be shared ;D :notworthy: KGLoki :notworthy:
THank you for sharing it :notworthy: :notworthy: :bat:
Already got a backup of it, if for any reason this will go off, just hit a pm to me :wink: ;D :notworthy: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Thanks for all the links folks :notworthy: I'll get to work over the next few days compiling some of these into single file compilations, hey imagine compiling something into a compilation, christ maybe i should start compiling a vocabulary for myself first :innocent: ;D will post the results in Sharing as and when :D

Nothing can match the feeling of Duncan's sax sounds vibrating through your core when he's stood in front of you and it's rattling your every cell and emotion, but these are excellent recordings :notworthy:
mh
Above the Chemist

Planet Dave wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 16:17 Thanks for all the links folks :notworthy: I'll get to work over the next few days compiling some of these into single file compilations, hey imagine compiling something into a compilation, christ maybe i should start compiling a vocabulary for myself first :innocent: ;D will post the results in Sharing as and when :D

Nothing can match the feeling of Duncan's sax sounds vibrating through your core when he's stood in front of you and it's rattling your every cell and emotion, but these are excellent recordings :notworthy:
I believe Charlie can grab that photo of Ben you were taken with, if you'd like to use it as a cover for this or something else you have my blessing. :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

mh wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 18:31
Planet Dave wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 16:17 Thanks for all the links folks :notworthy: I'll get to work over the next few days compiling some of these into single file compilations, hey imagine compiling something into a compilation, christ maybe i should start compiling a vocabulary for myself first :innocent: ;D will post the results in Sharing as and when :D

I believe Charlie can grab that photo of Ben you were taken with, if you'd like to use it as a cover for this or something else you have my blessing. :notworthy:
:D cheers Michael, those photos you took are as good as it gets 8) :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: also loving your 'Arms' collection from last night :lol: :lol: :notworthy: :kiss: