Geetar Gods

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Ian - Rhythm Smurph
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Padstar wrote:Gary ??? Jim ??? Ian Smurph ??? Keys ??? Moonknight???

Anything to add you guys ???

Paddy.
I was going to stay out of this 'cos as Paddy says, the list goes on and on but, well seeing as I've had an invite.....

A lot of depends on what you like. There are indeed a lot of impressive talents in the speed metal areana, but there are just as many if not more mediocre players simply charging up and down the pentatonic scale - if it's dull slow it doesn't get better faster.

In general, I always prefer emotion over technique. So it isn't necesarily guitarists that exhibit great lead break skills that impress me - I love a good sleazy rock n roll riff and love guitar work that fits into the rest of the band. I think too many bands are built around a guitarist and as such tend to stuff songs full of pointless widdling. The best guitar playing is subtle but if done right the song should fall apart with out it.
Though a love a belting guitar solo as much as the next man, though I'd go for 'Freebird' over anything Satriani might cook up.
So, that said - here are a few Guitar slingers that I like:

Nike Drake - Nick Drake (dead)
Jo Dog - Dogs D'amour (MIA)
Lars Frederiksen - Rancid
Matt Belamy - Muse
Steve Clarke - Def Leppard (dead)
Ricky Beck Mahler - Circus of Power
Phil Campbell - Motorhead
Malc Treece - Wonderstuff
Nuno Bettencourt - Extreme
Paddy - Grinn

Catch me on a differnt day and there'd be a whole differnt list!
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

Mr Strange.

Paddy!!!!!

does anyone rate the Hawkins brothers? (if you can bear to listen) I can't get a straight answer out of non darkness fans. there may be a good reason for that.....

and i want sensible answers, please. no snide comments.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

well thats killed that one. sorry.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Ian - Rhythm Smurph wrote:
Steve Clarke - Def Leppard (dead)
Steve was excellant. He's gone but not forgotten. Def Leppard fans still worship him. He was all heart when he played......and Phil Collen envied him for that talent.
James Blast
Banned

Dave Gilmour's a given, right Thrash?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele