No more releases, ever vs absolute rubbish

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.

Which one?

Nothing ever again, nichts
43%
Give me something, anything, I just want to buy another tune!
57%

Total votes: 28
_emma_
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:I've always been put off Gift because of the absence of his lovely voice :oops: :wink:
Exactly the same here. Gift is great of course, but every time I listen to it I can't shake off the feeling just how much greater it would've been with his voice. For the very same reason I much prefer the Floodland version of Colours.
And as I said many times before, I do like SSV. :) :? For the very same reason, probably, although the vocals are much too quiet as for my liking. ;D
Francis
Overbomber

Well, I said "nothing ever again" after First And Last, but then we wouldn't have Lucretia, This Corrosion, More and Something Fast would we? Que sera sera.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

nodubmanshouts wrote:
I honestly don't think Von is capable of releasing a genuinely crap record
Surely Under The Gun falls squarely into the "crap record" category?
No sir!
I'm not fond of Terri Nunn's voice on that one (or any of the other female singers he's ever "employed" - it's not jealousy honest!), but the way it builds into a great big rant at the end still has me digging my nails into the palms of my hands after the millionth listen.
Once again, a sign of his Midas touch that I never even notice that I don't like the female voices on so many of the songs - it doesn't affect my enjoyment of them at all. But god, if he'd chosen Siouxsie, Patti Smith or Lisa Gerrard (she'd have been great on Temple of Love), it would have been perfect!

As for imagining "Colours" with another voice, I'd rather not (although I reckon I will end up getting both Gift and SSV). A lot of folk seem to take the view of "Yeah, the Sisters are fab, but he can't sing for tuppence can he?" He might not be the most technically proficient singer, but let's face it, none of the great rock and roll artists have been. Nothing injects tension into a song quite like that bitter baritone of his.

:roll: I'll go lie down now. ;D
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

You Under The Gun People are very, very strange people, but I like you anyway :lol:
James Blast
Banned

boudicca wrote:I'll go lie down now
thank you
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Francis wrote:Well, I said "nothing ever again" after First And Last, but then we wouldn't have Lucretia, This Corrosion, More and Something Fast would we? Que sera sera.
Not having More would be a bad thing?
nodubmanshouts

Sisterhood did a kicking demo of More, Dark... you'd love it :lol:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

James Blast wrote:
boudicca wrote:I'll go lie down now
thank you
You're welcome. :P
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

As for imagining "Colours" with another voice, I'd rather not (although I reckon I will end up getting both Gift and SSV). A lot of folk seem to take the view of "Yeah, the Sisters are fab, but he can't sing for tuppence can he?" He might not be the most technically proficient singer, but let's face it, none of the great rock and roll artists have been. Nothing injects tension into a song quite like that bitter baritone of his.

Yeah, Von admitted he can't really 'sing', but he finds great ways to hide it on record, and has no shortage of sonic tricks in concert, but it all works well. Lots of hissing, lots of howls, barely audible lyrics at times, but always the right pose.

Jim Morrison was no great natural singer, but he is distinctive. Same for Ian Curtis.

I serioulsy wonder about Von's voice going forward, though on the Smoke and Mirrors Tour it sounded stronger than I thought...
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
culprit

his voice always sounds good...
after watching videos tonight i realised how good.
and i agree that it is sounding well electrochrome.

after 22 years since first seeing them live I STILL don't know quite why I love them so much...
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

culprit wrote:his voice always sounds good...
after watching videos tonight i realised how good.
and i agree that it is sounding well electrochrome.

after 22 years since first seeing them live I STILL don't know quite why I love them so much...
His voice is perfect for his songs, and the sound mixing (that I heard) was very good.

Hopefully, we'll get another tour out of him before the cigarette damage can kick in. He's working on a good quarter century of the cancer sticks at this point.
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"