Do you believe in God?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.

Do you believe in God?

Yes
20%
No
53%
I don't know / Not certain / Whatever / This is crap / Etc
28%

Total votes: 40
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

nick the stripper wrote:Hhhm I'm not sure, I think I'm to young to make my mind up about religion yet.
Good plan. I've been thinking about religion on and off for about 20 years (my mother became Born Again when I was about 14) and I'm still not 100% sure ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
filthyrikky
Road Kill

I certainly do believe in god.

He wears a big white "seven" on his back....
http://killingmiranda.com

bum raping the goth scene since 1998
Black Biscuit
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

God does answer prayers but He goes about it in an indirect way. If you petition your subconscious, it will come up with answers but, like dreams, you've got to recognize and interpet the indirect way in which things are done.
.... there is no semblance of rock 'n roll around here!
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Black Biscuit wrote:God does answer prayers but He goes about it in an indirect way. If you petition your subconscious, it will come up with answers but, like dreams, you've got to recognize and interpet the indirect way in which things are done.
Kind of reminds me of someone else... :von:

...replace "subconscious" with "Reptile House"... :roll:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Black Biscuit wrote:God does answer prayers but...
Sometimes the answer is "No". ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

markfiend wrote:
Black Biscuit wrote:God does answer prayers but...
Sometimes the answer is "No". ;)
Or... "Would you stop f**king ASKING me that??!!" :lol:
Thea
Overbomber

I don't like to talk about my faith. For some odd reason, even the nicest, most reasonable people see it as an open invitation to tell me exactly why they KNOW for a FACT that I'm wrong (as cut-and-pasted from the interweb, because the 'net wouldn't lie would it? So no need to inconviniance yourself checking the facts for yourself.)
I don't like to debate religion - It's a bit like calling your boss a fuckwit knowing he's in the next room... maybe he can hear you, maybe he can't... is it worth the risk?
My faith has never f**ked me up or held me back, my mind is open to the possibility that i could be wrong, but all i have is a feeling like slow thunder in the back of my neck that tells me I'm onto something.
I can't show you a photo of what I believe in, but it's something that i can feel all the time. And it's terrifying - I love it. There is something that's with me and sometimes the feeling you can get from it is beyond this world.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

No, D00my, if you dig on it, then that's your groove, man! ;D

If there is a God, then he's royally screwing me over at the moment. :|
zaltys7

markfiend wrote::lol:
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Greater Poop: Even false things?
Malaclypse the Younger: Even false things are true.
Greater Poop: How can that be?
Malaclypse the Younger: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
fnord
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Paul
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
ruffers
Overbomber

Do I believe in God?

No, but there is always the lingering, nagging doubt in the back of my mind that I may just be wrong, so I reserve the right to change my mind. I imagine this will is mostly likely to happen in the moments immediately before my demise.

Alternatively

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. Q.E.D."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

ruffers wrote:there is always the lingering, nagging doubt in the back of my mind that I may just be wrong, so I reserve the right to change my mind. I imagine this will is mostly likely to happen in the moments immediately before my demise.
:lol: That's like "Pascal's Wager": a kind of "game-theory" approach:
paraphrase wrote:If I do not believe in God:

If God does not exist, then there are no consequences.
If God does exist, then I go to Hell.

If I do believe in God:

If God does not exist, then there are no consequences.
If God does exist, then I go to Heaven.

Therefore it is better to believe in God.
However, this argument falls down in that:
1) God will know that you are choosing to believe in Him merely to avoid Hell, and may send you there anyway for being a cynical b*st*rd.
2) There generally are consequences to believing, such as spending a few hours at church/temple/mosque/whatever once (or more) a week, financial support to one's church, and so forth.
3) How is it possible to choose to believe? If I look at the evidence and decide that I can't in all honesty believe in God, how can I then say "well, I'll believe anyway just in case..."?
4) How do you know you're believing in the right God? If religion A demands that you accept certain dogmas to go to Heaven, and religion B demands that you accept dogmas contradicting those of religion A, which do you accept?
5) The whole thing is a veiled threat: "believe or else."
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

"I'll go for the life of sin, followed by a presto-changeo deathbed repentance"....

;D :twisted: ;D
ruffers
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
ruffers wrote:there is always the lingering, nagging doubt in the back of my mind that I may just be wrong, so I reserve the right to change my mind. I imagine this will is mostly likely to happen in the moments immediately before my demise.
:lol: That's like "Pascal's Wager": a kind of "game-theory" approach:
Blimey, I didn't think I was that clever!

"We find in it the extraordinary confluence of several important strands of thought: the justification of theism; probability theory and decision theory, used here for almost the first time in history; pragmatism; voluntarism (the thesis that belief is a matter of the will); and the use of the concept of infinity. "

Copied and pasted, clearly. Although I am now interested enough to have a proper read!
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Black Biscuit

boudicca wrote:"I'll go for the life of sin, followed by a presto-changeo deathbed repentance"....

;D :twisted: ;D

---- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
.... there is no semblance of rock 'n roll around here!
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness" - The Dalai Lama:
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

Black Alice wrote:"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness" - The Dalai Lama:
*Puts out wacky backy ciggy :lol:
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
Red Orc
Road Kill

Obviousman wrote:
Delilah wrote:That's probably why Marx said that "it is the opium of the people"... :wink:
... because of which started his own religion :lol:
Don't know whether that was meant as a joke, but I've got to take issue with it. Some people on this thread are defending Jesus v Saint Paul - fair enough, one was a hippy, the other was a autocratic fuckwit. Blaming Marx for Stalin is the same boat - Marx never said 'build great death camps for your enslaved workers'. It's liike blaming Eldritch for the fact that the m*****n were s**t. Only with about 30 million more dead.

Back to French philosophers, I think it was Voltaire who was asked on his death-bed 'Do you reject Satan and all his works?' and replied 'Now is no time to be making new enemies'.

Isn't it odd that this forum censors 's**t' but not 'fuckwit'? He sure does move in mysterious ways.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Red Orc wrote:
Obviousman wrote:
Delilah wrote:That's probably why Marx said that "it is the opium of the people"... :wink:
... because of which started his own religion :lol:
Don't know whether that was meant as a joke, but I've got to take issue with it. Some people on this thread are defending Jesus v Saint Paul - fair enough, one was a hippy, the other was a autocratic fuckwit. Blaming Marx for Stalin is the same boat - Marx never said 'build great death camps for your enslaved workers'. It's liike blaming Eldritch for the fact that the m*****n were s**t. Only with about 30 million more dead.
Yes, it was a joke indeed, and only a few seconds after I've pressed the post button, what you say came to my mind too... Marx had a theory, and a fairly good one, the only problem is that it was a practically inimplimentable theory, because which some folks (Stalin, Mao, e.a.) saw the ultimate possibility to get themselves to the top... Or at least when they were there, they weren't able to say no anymore... Power is a very dangerous thing indeed :|
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Red Orc
Road Kill

I certainly agree that power is the problem. Not sure that 'Marx's theory is impossible to implement...' as I'm not sure which bit you have a problem with. As I understand Marx, he said 'the liberation of the working class is the task of the working class' which seems fair enough to me - after all, if you're 'liberated' by an insane gunman and his bandit mates (Mao, Che, pick your own 'revolutionary hero') or a twit of a bureaucrat (Stalin or whoever) then things are gonna be really bad...

THere's a politics thread somewhere... much more interesting than religion... I seem to remember reading recently that the church had decided in the middle ages that there was no possible way of solving the 'problem of god' by rational discourse - which somewhat proves the atheists' point, I feel.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Jesus was a hippy?
Matthew 10:34
Luke 14:26
—Bertrand Russell
Red Orc
Road Kill

I stand by 'Jesus was a hippy'.

Anything written about him 100 years later doesn't exactly qualify as reliable historical evidence. So how do I know he was hippy? I don't. It's just prejudice. But I stand by it anyway.

Not that we should get hung up on hippies being peace-loving tree-huggers necessarily - 'it's 1969 OK, got a war across the USA' anyone?
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Well, the impossibility lies with the people mostly, I think, because no way every single individu will accept he's perfectly equal to all of the others...

And I think this is not solely human but it lies in the nature of all living animals, there are no (or at least none that I know of, feel free to correct me) species that live in groups and at the same time don't have a leader figure. Thus, there'll always be someone standing up to lead you. Marx was the inventor of this theory, and therefore, he will never be equal to anyone else, doesn't he?

About the 'problem of god', how about Thomas of Aquino and all them, they were filosofers, and thought mainly about proofs of god, right?

Jesus was not a hippy indeed, he told his men to keep arms with them all of the time, and IIRC there's some passage in the bible of him fighting someone too...

And finally:
Bertrand Russel wrote:It is possible that mankind is on the threshold of a golden age, but if so, it will be necessary first to slay the dragon that guards the door, and this dragon is religion�
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Red Orc wrote:I stand by 'Jesus was a hippy'.

Anything written about him 100 years later doesn't exactly qualify as reliable historical evidence. So how do I know he was hippy? I don't. It's just prejudice. But I stand by it anyway.
Well, I think, if it's written so many years after, and they wanted him to be portrayed as a nice and kind man, they'd have had that part out of the bible wouldn't they? :wink:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Red Orc wrote:I stand by 'Jesus was a hippy'.

;D Well fair enough. But Paul was closer in time to Jesus than Matt or Luke... if there even was a historical Jesus. Clicky.

(Incidentally, Luke's gospel was probably based on Matthew's, which in turn was probably based on Mark's)
—Bertrand Russell
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

markfiend wrote: if there even was a historical Jesus. Clicky.

(Incidentally, Luke's gospel was probably based on Matthew's, which in turn was probably based on Mark's)
Well, it's a mixture of all kind of religions of course, and especially so since the romans adapted it as their favorite religion to keep the folks quiet :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr