Worst Sisters songs.

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:it's the free-with-walk-away12" flexi (also b-side to lucretia 12") version which is probably the "some boys..." version.
Ah, if it is then it’s fantastic. Andrew’s at his squealing best on Train.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

ok...it's almost as cool if you don't own the flexi :lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Elitist. :P
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

no, just old :lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

doc P wrote:I will say it again and again , just hate:
war on drugs :innocent:

and know some of you will say : doc, are you insane? :roll:

:innocent: :wink:

I love war on drugs for me t´s a great song...

you could be the one, I don´t like it so much...
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
Mr. Wah
Amphetamine Filth

dtsom wrote:I love war on drugs for me t´s a great song...
I agree with you. After Crash And Burn it's my favourite of the new songs (jokes about "new" taken as read).

I remember hearing it for the first time in Brixton, back in 1997, and being mightily impressed. Despite having liked the Sisters since 1986, it was my virgin gig. That was a rather good week... I met my wife two days later. (Although my relationship with the Sisters seems to have outlasted my marriage.)
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Mr. Wah wrote:
dtsom wrote:I love war on drugs for me t´s a great song...
I agree with you. After Crash And Burn it's my favourite of the new songs (jokes about "new" taken as read).

I remember hearing it for the first time in Brixton, back in 1997, and being mightily impressed. Despite having liked the Sisters since 1986, it was my virgin gig. That was a rather good week... I met my wife two days later. (Although my relationship with the Sisters seems to have outlasted my marriage.)
Sisters are for life!!!!

That does not sound very good, about your marriage Mr. Wah!
"as we walk on the floodland"
Mr. Wah
Amphetamine Filth

Ozpat wrote:Sisters are for life!!!!
It does seem that way, doesn't it?
Ozpat wrote:That does not sound very good, about your marriage Mr. Wah!
:cry: It's very sad. Still, on a positive note, one good thing about being married is that you can't marry anyone else. After I get divorced, then I'll be scared. Oooh... that wasn't all that positive, was it?
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Mr. Wah wrote:
Ozpat wrote:Sisters are for life!!!!
It does seem that way, doesn't it?
Ozpat wrote:That does not sound very good, about your marriage Mr. Wah!
:cry: It's very sad. Still, on a positive note, one good thing about being married is that you can't marry anyone else. After I get divorced, then I'll be scared. Oooh... that wasn't all that positive, was it?
I've been there too. After the divorce it's pretty tough sometimes. Always feel free to PM and good luck!
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

In my opinion the worst Sisters songs were all combined together and made an album of,entitled "Vision Thing" ..
But specifically,"More" and "Vision Thing".They both seem to me pompous and egocentric..I expect I'm missing the irony in the songs,or something..
boudicca
Sister Midnight

DeWinter wrote:pompous and egocentric..I expect I'm missing the irony in the songs,or something..
I feel the irony is pretty hard to miss (although I think this applies more to "This Corrosion", "Dominion" and "More", than other tracks on VT).
But if you don't dig it, then you don't dig it.

When I got into Sisters aged 14 or 15, Von's liberal sprinklings of irony were lost on me entirely, I must admit. I enjoyed the pompous, egocentric thing straightforwardly. Being quite pompous and egocentric myself. :oops: ;D
Then came a period where I found it all just a bit daft - I was only familiar with the music, not Eldritch as a character. Didn't pay much attention to the lyrics. So it all seemed a bit poker-faced, humourless ubergoff for me.

Then I finally cracked it. Forgive me :von: , I was young, stupid, and tempted by the One They Call H****y's sparkly guitar riffs. :wink:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Mr. Wah
Amphetamine Filth

boudicca wrote: When I got into Sisters aged 14 or 15, Von's liberal sprinklings of irony were lost on me entirely, I must admit.
I think anyone who came to the Sisters as a child must feel pretty much the same way; simply, at such a young age you are not equiped to understand.

I remember when I was 12 being played FALAA, and was struck by how different the Sisters sounded to anyone else. I don't even recall having an opinion on the lyrics.

When Floodland was released I thought that it was wonderful, sonically, but that the lyrics were daft. Especially This Corrosion.

The Sisters went on the backburner for a few years after 1989, and when I started listening again in about 1992/3, I suddenly began to understand what it was all about. It was then that I realised I had only appreciated a fraction of Floodland's brilliance... and not just lyrically, musically too.

The Sisters have continued to surprise me over the years. Most amazingly, when I first heard Vision Thing in 1992, I was rather disappointed, yet it has grown and grown on me like nothing else I can think of. I guess this must say something about quality, since most albums tend to lose their lustre fairly rapidly.

This has made me remember quite a few things... I was never a goth, and now I recall being embarassed to admit I was a Sisters fan because they were perceived as being, in the words of someone at school, "about as goth as you can get".

A few years later... at University I played a friend Vision Thing, TOL 92 and UTG. The last thing he had heard was FALAA, and when I told him it was the Sisters, I got a reply along the lines of "You must be f*cking joking."

I was surprised when I started reading AE's comments about the Sisters not being goth. Since, I have found that the first mention of this was as far back as 1987/8, in an interview where he claimed never to have been so.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Mr. Wah wrote:The Sisters have continued to surprise me over the years. Most amazingly, when I first heard Vision Thing in 1992, I was rather disappointed, yet it has grown and grown on me like nothing else I can think of. I guess this must say something about quality, since most albums tend to lose their lustre fairly rapidly.
I had the same thing. As I'm sure I mentioned somewhere before, if thought the VT album was a bit too 'easy' after hearing Floodland. But then it grew on me and oh man ;D
Really strange, what sounds like the most difficult album on the first listen (Floodland) is the easiest one to get and what sounds like the easiest one on the first listen (VT) is actually the hardest one (and still growing!).

True mastership :notworthy:

Though I haven't been in the fase where I found them daft yet, and hope those days will never come :von:

But I still don't get all of the lyrics, guess it looses something in translation, and also the poets and poems he refers too are obviously not as familiar to me as to anyone with English as his mother tongue. Which doesn't stop me getting the feeling of course :!:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Some of the earliest songs are rubbish, like Watch and Damage Done, also i never liked Adrenochrome (though some live renditions of it are pretty groovy, so it's groovy but rubbish at its best.).
From then onwards, i love'em all.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I don't particularly like the 7" version of Anaconda, but live it can be stonking.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

itnAklipse wrote:Some of the earliest songs are rubbish, like Watch and Damage Done, also i never liked Adrenochrome (though some live renditions of it are pretty groovy, so it's groovy but rubbish at its best.).
I love Adrenochrome, especially when it's performed live! 8)
ruffers
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote: Really strange, what sounds like the most difficult album on the first listen (Floodland) is the easiest one to get and what sounds like the easiest one on the first listen (VT) is actually the hardest one (and still growing!).

True mastership :notworthy:
My version

What sounds like the better album on the first listen (Floodland) is indeed the better album and what sounds bleedin' rubbish on the first listen (VT) is actually worse then you think (and getting worse!)

We are a broad church :lol: :lol:
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

I love all the albums. Just very different from each other. Had to get used to VT as is was not what I expected. But if it would sound like Floodland, folks would start to complain about predictability. IMO it is certainly no rubbish but very suprising and strong. But I guess some people prefered a kind of Floodland II.

If all the new songs would have been put on a record that one would also be different again as I try to imagine what these songs would sound like as studio recordings.

8)
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Ozpat wrote:I love all the albums. Just very different from each other. Had to get used to VT as is was not what I expected. But if it would sound like Floodland, folks would start to complain about predictability. IMO it is certainly no rubbish but very suprising and strong. But I guess some people prefered a kind of Floodland II.

If all the new songs would have been put on a record that one would also be different again as I try to imagine what these songs would sound like as studio recordings.

8)
Exactly, the constant difference in styles between the albums/eras is just what makes the sisters such an intrigueing band :notworthy:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Obviousman wrote:
Ozpat wrote:I love all the albums. Just very different from each other. Had to get used to VT as is was not what I expected. But if it would sound like Floodland, folks would start to complain about predictability. IMO it is certainly no rubbish but very suprising and strong. But I guess some people prefered a kind of Floodland II.

8)
Exactly, the constant difference in styles between the albums/eras is just what makes the sisters such an intrigueing band :notworthy:
Yes indeed!!! :wink:
a.r.kane
Amphetamine Filth

I always thought the sister were for christmas :(
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

Ozpat wrote:
itnAklipse wrote:Some of the earliest songs are rubbish, like Watch and Damage Done, also i never liked Adrenochrome (though some live renditions of it are pretty groovy, so it's groovy but rubbish at its best.).
I love Adrenochrome, especially when it's performed live! 8)
Adrenochrome is an early gem. "Sturm und Drang" at its best in a way.

I had my "daft lyrics" moment when I heard "Slept" for the first time and thought "Oh God, now he really has a mid life crisis". It has grown on me in the meantime but I still can't help a smirk.
You can't fix stupid.
claws
Amphetamine Filth

soon every Sisters song has been mentioned. I vote for "Lucretia my reflection".

Just KIDDING!

Of course it's the first single that is the worst. Total crap, but at least it was a start.
We are coming down but we will never, never land
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

a.r.kane wrote:I always thought the sister were for christmas :(
That was back in december 1993.... :innocent:
a.r.kane
Amphetamine Filth

on balance would it seem that there are more bad sisters tracks than good ones?