currently watching...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Petseri
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:Not seen that before. Didn't realise it had been released. Thanks Martin. :)
Do not get your hopes up. Classic serial of the period which would not be made today. Not a showstopper, but a step above a school performance. Stereotypes abound. To me, this Robin does look like Kane's Robin.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Petseri wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:Not seen that before. Didn't realise it had been released. Thanks Martin. :)
Do not get your hopes up. Classic serial of the period which would not be made today. Not a showstopper, but a step above a school performance. Stereotypes abound. To me, this Robin does look like Kane's Robin.
Reading the review it looks like it contains the fears of the post war America of when it was made; racism, paranoia etc...
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Petseri
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Petseri wrote:
Reading the review it looks like it contains the fears of the post war America of when it was made; racism, paranoia etc...
Postwar in 1943? It does not have the "other world wanting to invade" elements of Cold War science fiction of the 1950s. It does deal with the war, so paranoia at the time is understandable. You are on the right track, though. Non-PC slurs from the period are used. Also, J. Carrol Naish (aparently of Irish descent) plays the Japanese antagonist (IMDB shows him portraying "Latin, Arab, and East Indian characters" :?: ). Not as bad as Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's, though. A cameo of an American Indian (is that still allowed?) is also stilted. Alfred is not likely to be a shining example either.

Regardless whether good or bad from a contemporary perspective, that was how it was released at the time. If you appreciate cliffhangers and realize that times were differnt 70 years ago, it is interesting. Definitely worth seeing if you like Batman.
Last edited by Petseri on 07 Jan 2011, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
Silver_Owl
The Don

I shall invest, if only for the historical interest. And for 'post' read 'mid'. :wink: ;D

About to begin this...(Part 1 last night - which I thoroughly enjoyed)

We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
James Blast
Banned

Simon!!!!! Mr. Emerson!!!!

Gawd it was poor, and we also watched The Lemmy Movie, with French subs (ta DR :D). It was a movie about Lemmy with some guys from rock and also roll and Dave Brock and Nik Turner out of Hawkwind But!...... an auld Stacia did appear and get misty eyed about old Lem (apparently the name Lemmy wasn't short enough).

yeah those once mighty knockers are saggy and her face looks like three Land-Rovers have been over it, but what the hey!
it's called 'life' innit?
;D

I'm crying inside
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Holly_DelRey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Angels In America was quite good!

Decided my next marathon will be this series ;D
Definitely worth checking out 8)
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
James Blast
Banned

bandwith exceeded, what the hell are you posting!?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

James Blast wrote:bandwith exceeded, what the hell are you posting!?
The Bold And The Beautiful, from beginning to end :?:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Holly_DelRey

CW: The Simpsons :)
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
James Blast
Banned

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
James Blast wrote:bandwith exceeded, what the hell are you posting!?
The Bold And The Beautiful, from beginning to end :?:

IZ.
smoke more crack/pot ;D
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Still Game

I may be watching it too much. At the weekend while trying to decide what to do I said "Let's not go to York. There's hee-haw to do there." :eek:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

"Thanking yew". ;D
~ Peter Steele
Carpathian Psychonaut

markfiend wrote:Still Game

I may be watching it too much. At the weekend while trying to decide what to do I said "Let's not go to York. There's hee-haw to do there." :eek:
Love that series. Navid Harrid running back to flick the v's at a roasting chicken in the new Hyperdales store and then running back again to buy one was a classic. The one where Victor buys a car is brilliant too.
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
James Blast
Banned

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Unmitigated pish!

-Blaast! Teh Grauniad
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

James Blast wrote:Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Unmitigated pish!

-Blaast! Teh Grauniad
So I'll probably love it then. ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Holly_DelRey

Arse on photofucket - bandwith exceeded :?

Next up: Image :D
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
James Blast
Banned

Hom_Corleone wrote:

Unmitigated pish!

-Blaast! Teh Grauniad
if you do, I'll kick yir Erse! :evil:
~ Peter Steele
n'Emolicia
Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:if you do, I'll kick yir Erse! :evil:
Now, there's something I would like to watch.
I'm not much into television.

(The one in my room's never even been turned on)
Silver_Owl
The Don

James Blast wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:

Unmitigated pish!

-Blaast! Teh Grauniad
if you do, I'll kick yir Erse! :evil:
Yikes. :eek:
Does that mean you owe me a good erse kick for Kick Ass (no pun intended :lol: ), Let The Right One In etc....?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
James Blast
Banned

yes and e'Bolla stop being a drip
~ Peter Steele
n'Emolicia
Amphetamine Filth

Yes, Sir.
James Blast
Banned

thank you
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

eps. 1 and 2, it's awrite but Mewes is underewes'd (see what I did there?)

and then this big dumb pile of shit

n'that poster gives most of the fillum away, sorry :|
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr