Read, read, read!!!! education, imagination, humour

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
czuczu
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:New testament. Now i'm sure that i'm not big fan of s-f novels (except maybe Dick and Gibson). Plus i had no idea that this piece of book had/has THAT much impact on European/Western culture. But it's not that easy to read that without reading Old Testament.
There's a mistake on the first page, terrible proof reading! :lol:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

That was serious, I mean, reading New Testament is like reading s-f novels, all that miracle healing, walking on water and so. And i used to think that New Testament is all about love each other and there's the source of rule: you're with me or against me; those who not believe in me will die in fire (not to mention that adultery is taken to widely that even look at other women is adultery; and apostles [church as successor], shouldn't take gold nor silve, nor copper for their work). Next in line are: Old Testament, Torah (I know that is Old Testament, but translation and interpretation is different) and Qur'an.
Silver_Owl
The Don

christophe wrote:
czuczu wrote:Just finished this, definitely recommended:

I heard a lot of good about it, I need to pick it up then :D
It's really very good isn't it? :D

@Christophe - Agreed about Charles Burns - The Hive is fantastic.
Can't wait for part 3. :)
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Bartek wrote:That was serious, I mean, reading New Testament is like reading s-f novels, all that miracle healing, walking on water and so. And i used to think that New Testament is all about love each other and there's the source of rule: you're with me or against me; those who not believe in me will die in fire (not to mention that adultery is taken to widely that even look at other women is adultery; and apostles [church as successor], shouldn't take gold nor silve, nor copper for their work). Next in line are: Old Testament, Torah (I know that is Old Testament, but translation and interpretation is different) and Qur'an.
you should read the short S-F story "behold the man" by michael moorcock. that's an interesting telling of the jesus story.
Last edited by Quiff Boy on 14 Jan 2013, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Silver_Owl
The Don

Quiff Boy wrote:
Bartek wrote:That was serious, I mean, reading New Testament is like reading s-f novels, all that miracle healing, walking on water and so. And i used to think that New Testament is all about love each other and there's the source of rule: you're with me or against me; those who not believe in me will die in fire (not to mention that adultery is taken to widely that even look at other women is adultery; and apostles [church as successor], shouldn't take gold nor silve, nor copper for their work). Next in line are: Old Testament, Torah (I know that is Old Testament, but translation and interpretation is different) and Qur'an.
you should read the short S-F story "behold the man" by michael moorcock. that's an interesting telling of the jesus story.
:notworthy: Quality :notworthy:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
:notworthy: Quality :notworthy:
in a similar vein, i also enjoyed philip pullman's "the good man jesus and the scoundrel christ".
czuczu
Overbomber

I was kind of serious about the mistake on the 1st page of the NT - you can't spend a page establishing the lineage of Jesus if Joseph isn't his father!

I gave up on The Good Man Jesus and The Scoundrel Christ - its a great idea but once he's established it there really isn't anywhere to go..
Besides, he should really be working on The Book of Dust :evil:

Next up:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

czuczu wrote:Besides, he should really be working on The Book of Dust :evil:
hell yes :notworthy:
sultan2075
Overbomber

A few excellent works on the book of Genesis, if you're interested (I learned a great deal from them):

1. Leon Kass, The Beginning of Wisdom: Reading Genesis
2. Robert Sacks, A Commentary on the Book of Genesis
3. Umberto Cassuto, A Commentary on the Book of Genesis, in two volumes.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Bartek wrote:New testament. Now i'm sure that i'm not big fan of s-f novels (except maybe Dick and Gibson). Plus i had no idea that this piece of book had/has THAT much impact on European/Western culture. But it's not that easy to read that without reading Old Testament.
:lol: :notworthy:

That's one I've yet to read all the way through. I remember being coerced to do so, in bits, as a kid. Haven't opened it since about age 12. Hmm.
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I'm not interested in reading some mockery s-f novels about Hesus (but thanks for suggestions). I'm reading that because OT&Torah and NT had and has some great impact on how we see world today, even if some of us are atheists (like me)- whether i like it or not it is the core of our culture. I live in a country where are just a few Muslims, so i also want to know with what kind of mentality, seeing the world, I'll meet. (Obviously it doesn't matter- mostly those who say that they believe didn't read their holy books, but i want to know that anyway.)
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Bartek wrote:...mostly those who say that they believe didn't read their holy books...
Aye - like most of the so-called Christians I've run into over the years here (including family members with whom I no longer speak). They're called "hypocrites," and I'm not interested. ;D
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
sultan2075
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:I'm not interested in reading some mockery s-f novels about Hesus (but thanks for suggestions). I'm reading that because OT&Torah and NT had and has some great impact on how we see world today, even if some of us are atheists (like me)- whether i like it or not it is the core of our culture. I live in a country where are just a few Muslims, so i also want to know with what kind of mentality, seeing the world, I'll meet. (Obviously it doesn't matter- mostly those who say that they believe didn't read their holy books, but i want to know that anyway.)
Oh, those aren't necessarily religious books--and they're certainly not Christian. Cassuto, I think, was rabbi. The other two? I'm not sure. They're close philosophical readings of Genesis. Given a lot of the stuff you've been posting in this thread, they might be right up your alley. You were reading Machiavelli's Discourses recently, weren't you?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

first sentence was about QB suggestions not your; your is different story- i'm not sure if want to go that deep (i'm afraid that i might convert to some of this religion :lol: :wink:), plus, i couldn't find that translated to my first language. but thanks for suggestions, defo worth reading, so maybe one day i'll might give a try. :notworthy:
radiojamaica
Overbomber

About to end Stephen King's The Dark Tower series...
in dub we trust
czuczu
Overbomber

radiojamaica wrote:About to end Stephen King's The Dark Tower series...
I love the pre-accident ones!
Its definitely worth checking out The Little Sisters of Eluria and The Wind Through The Keyhole if you haven't read them yet 8)
christophe
Overbomber

now on this
it reads like a train, I have no clue if I like it, but at times I have to laugh out loud so it can't be all bad :lol:
Another Shade of You.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

sultan2075
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:first sentence was about QB suggestions not your; your is different story- i'm not sure if want to go that deep (i'm afraid that i might convert to some of this religion :lol: :wink:), plus, i couldn't find that translated to my first language. but thanks for suggestions, defo worth reading, so maybe one day i'll might give a try. :notworthy:
Ah. What's your native language again? Cassuto might be available, since I think it was not originally written in English. The Kass book was popular enough that it might have been translated as well. Another good book would be Thomas Pangle's Political Philosophy and the God of Abraham.
--
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Polish.
I just checked all books mentioned by You on local e-bay-a-like site, only one book by Thomas Pangle is available, but it's not that one. I'll write down authors and titles, so maybe, as i wrote, one day i'll give a try. once again :notworthy:
sultan2075
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:Polish.
I just checked all books mentioned by You on local e-bay-a-like site, only one book by Thomas Pangle is available, but it's not that one. I'll write down authors and titles, so maybe, as i wrote, one day i'll give a try. once again :notworthy:
Ah, my wife speaks it. I've got a friend from Poland, who came to the states to study after graduating from the University of Warsaw.
--
Silver_Owl
The Don

christophe wrote:now on this
it reads like a train, I have no clue if I like it, but at times I have to laugh out loud so it can't be all bad :lol:
Great story - Nowhere near as good as American Gods but still good fun.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm reading China Miéville's The City & the City again. It certainly rewards a second read to get past the sheer unfamiliarity with Besźel and Ul Qoma you experience on the first time through.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Holly_DelRey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Looking forward to his new book :)
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲