Wayne on the Sisters.....

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Isn't that quote already six years old ... *yawn ...

Anyway, it shows for once again that Wayne had been - as usual - well off mark ... :lol: ;D ...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

as TSOM fan(atics) it's obvious that for us only one to blame is Wayne.
but one to admit, :von: didn't play a press game (not that media ever really loved him).
GC
Slight Overbomber

robm wrote:"Insignificant cohorts"?

Oh, the realization that stalks that statement but will never pounce on him.
He did write most of the music on FALAA
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Gollum's Cock wrote:

And could give ANY of the hired hands that have followed him, an advanced lesson in guitar playing :innocent:
Give me one good reason
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

Thank God he never sang on Sisters records.
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Aazhyd wrote:Thank God he never sang on Sisters records.
:lol: :notworthy:
Mav787
One life, all I need

Spiggy's hat wrote:
Gollum's Cock wrote:

And could give ANY of the hired hands that have followed him, an advanced lesson in guitar playing :innocent:
Amen to that.

There have been some good ones but none as good as Wayne.

BTW I had the pleasure to hear Wayne & Craig soundcheck recently and they played about 3 minutes of Some Kind Of Stranger. Absolutely amazing.
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Actually, he did.....
Mav787
One life, all I need

playboy wrote:
Actually, he did.....
What pisses me off is that people who are too young to have been following the Sisters in 84-85 and hence weren't there/never saw them play etc etc slag off Wayne.

I wish people would stop following the herd and think for themselves.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Mav787 wrote:
playboy wrote:
Actually, he did.....
What pisses me off is that people who are too young to have been following the Sisters in 84-85 and hence weren't there/never saw them play etc etc slag off Wayne.

... :lol: ... if an idiot behaves like an idiot NOW, there's no need to know how much like an idiot he did behave some 25 years ago to make one's opinion ... :lol: ...
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

Mav787 wrote:What pisses me off is that people who are too young to have been following the Sisters in 84-85 and hence weren't there/never saw them play etc etc slag off Wayne.

I do. I heard The m*****n first in 1987. But I just can't stand the cry-baby singing style of That Guitarist.

I wasn't talking about his guitar playing or his song writing capabilities. On the latter: Black Planet is one of my favorite Sisters songs, while No Time To Cry is one of the worst, imho. Funny that Wayne manages to write both. m*****n also had some nice songs.

Edit: LOL, the M-word is apparently censored here. ;D
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
Mav787
One life, all I need

Being645 wrote:
... :lol: ... if an idiot behaves like an idiot NOW, there's no need to know how much like an idiot he did behave some 25 years ago to make one's opinion ... :lol: ...
You know he behaves like an idiot because you've seen it yourself? Or because someone told someone who told someone etc?

Like The Sisters, dont like The m*****n that is your choice but it's sad when people feel the need to slag off ex-members because they think it makes them bigger Sisters fans.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Mav787 wrote:
Being645 wrote:
You know he behaves like an idiot because you've seen it yourself? Or because someone told someone who told someone etc?

Like The Sisters, dont like The m*****n that is your choice but it's sad when people feel the need to slag off ex-members because they think it makes them bigger Sisters fans.
I have in fact watched (and even read) various interviews with Wayne, sorry ... :lol:

Beyond that, I can only second Aazhyd as far as:
Aazhyd wrote:I do. I heard The m*****n first in 1987. But I just can't stand the cry-baby singing style of That Guitarist... EDIT Being645: ... nor his likewise funny lyrics ... :urff: :lol:

I wasn't talking about his guitar playing ...
Edit: LOL, the M-word is apparently censored here. ;D
Nice, isn't it ... ;D :lol: ... but - at least on my part - for various other reasons than Wayne's capacities as a musician ...

Anyway, I do adore Wayne's guitar playing on Amphetamine Logic ... never ending kudos to that ... :notworthy: ...

Thanks for your funny vision of my person, though ... :wink: ... hell ... :lol: ...
robm
Amphetamine Filth

Gollum's Cock wrote:He did write most of the music on FALAA
Which is why some of it is, if we're being honest, a bit samey.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Wayne is a fine guitar player. The problem is that he's not a terribly great singer (neither is Von, but Von is--or at least was--able to make excellent use of his limitations), and, based on what I've heard, he's really a terrible lyricist. As for the m*****n, I must confess: what I've heard has always been like a bad laxative. "It just don't move me, ya know?"

The m*****n seem competent, but dull and uninspired to me.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Mav787 wrote:You know he behaves like an idiot because you've seen it yourself? Or because someone told someone who told someone etc?

I think the silliest part is that people here slag off Wayne's behaviour when a sizeable part of this forum is dedicated to just how much of a dick Von often is. if your reason for not liking Wayne is that he behaves like an idiot then you've got to admit the same of Von.
GC
Slight Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:Wayne is a fine guitar player. The problem is that he's not a terribly great singer (neither is Von, but Von is--or at least was--able to make excellent use of his limitations), and, based on what I've heard, he's really a terrible lyricist. As for the m*****n, I must confess: what I've heard has always been like a bad laxative. "It just don't move me, ya know?"

The m*****n seem competent, but dull and uninspired to me.
Dead Kennedys - Chicken s**t Conformist (how many points?) :D
GC
Slight Overbomber

robm wrote:
Which is why some of it is, if we're being honest, a bit samey.
So is the Reptile House....
that said I did like your original comment which sparked my reply, which was more out of pedantry than a love of The MisH.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

stufarq wrote: I think the silliest part is that people here slag off Wayne's behaviour when a sizeable part of this forum is dedicated to just how much of a dick Von often is. if your reason for not liking Wayne is that he behaves like an idiot then you've got to admit the same of Von.
it's called rock star attitude.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Mav787 wrote:

As has been said many times before, the issue is that people slag him off because they were following the Sisters both in 84-85 and, more crucially before then, and have been able to see WH's role and contribution without the need for revisionism.
playboy

Mav787 wrote:
playboy wrote:
Actually, he did.....

Well, I have been around for some time....saw them first 1985 and I loved them. I loved the First And Last And Always album. I loved the line up at that time. For me that was the defenitive Sisters line-up. That line up made the Sisters the cult band they became and it made it possible for Andrew to continue to this day touring with the band and the legacy they left behind means that they don´t have to release another record again.
They were a band that wrote songs, released some records, the Sisters were the members life, they were devoted to the band exclusively.
Today the Sisters are a side project more than a band. The guitarists and the nurse have other bands who works more. The Sisters is a good occasional saturday job. I hate to say it, as I have loved the Sisters for nearly 30 years. But it is the way it is today. Good that I sometimes still can see them live every now and then. But not much has changed livewise the last decade or so, and absolutely nothing new have came up for the past 20 years plus. I cannot see how that would make them a real band, wanting to make music.

Maybe Chris and Ben are good guitarists. They do however tend to play wrong or false more than Gary and Wayne did. Gary Marx played in a way that made the Sisters sound, and Wayne added another dimension, a different sound that often sounds complete together with Gary. Two different sounds. Today they are not much more than copying what Wayne and Gary played but without sounding complete. I know it´s not easy to understand what I mean, maybe it is only undersandable to those who play in band. You have to play together often, rehearse often and make it a full time job to get the sound and playing complete within the band and to be the best man for the job. If you have more than one work to go to, or several bands to play with you may be good at what you do, but you cannot be best.
playboy

Bartek wrote:
stufarq wrote: I think the silliest part is that people here slag off Wayne's behaviour when a sizeable part of this forum is dedicated to just how much of a dick Von often is. if your reason for not liking Wayne is that he behaves like an idiot then you've got to admit the same of Von.
it's called rock star attitude.
I wish Andrew got more rock star attitude....
playboy

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
Mav787 wrote:

As has been said many times before, the issue is that people slag him off because they were following the Sisters both in 84-85 and, more crucially before then, and have been able to see WH's role and contribution without the need for revisionism.
I am not sure that there are many followers from pre 1984 left. If they started to dislike the Sisters sound as early as 1984 because of Wayne, they have probably moved on and left Sisters behind a long time ago. Or mabe they did like Andreas Bruhn, Tim Bricheno and Tony James better? Or Patricia Morrison? Or the numbers of guitarists that came after? Lineups that never recorded anything?
mh
Above the Chemist

He didn't really though, did he? Look at the credits - 4 tracks by Wayne alone and 2 with co-credits, compared to Marx (4 solo, 1 co-credit) he's not that far ahead for the LP, and "most" is a wee bit misleading.

Marx's side is the stronger one anyway. I think most folks would agree with that. :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

mh wrote:
He didn't really though, did he? Look at the credits - 4 tracks by Wayne alone and 2 with co-credits, compared to Marx (4 solo, 1 co-credit) he's not that far ahead for the LP, and "most" is a wee bit misleading.

Marx's side is the stronger one anyway. I think most folks would agree with that. :notworthy:
of course it's a matter of taste, but i'm agree with last two sentences.
Last edited by Bartek on 11 Jun 2012, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.