NEW SONGS!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Pretty much, aye :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Wyrd Sister
Road Kill

FinnMacCool wrote: 26 May 2022, 09:40
markfiend wrote: 25 May 2022, 11:48 Oops I've missed a whole page of comments on this thread but it still stands...

Again, he doesn't want to crowdfund a Sisters record. The reason he's stated for wanting a major deal is the promotional budget and experience. He wants a label that will do things like put adverts in the press*, push any singles so they get on radio playlists, push for TV appearances, etc. The fact is though that the majors don't do any of that stuff with anyone other than the major chart stars any more.

* Temple Of Love 1992 had a full-page advert on the back cover of 2000AD Prog 780 for instance. Not that the ol' Tooth is doing anywhere near the sales as it was even in 1992, never mind the 80s, but that's a separate issue.
In other words, it's still 1996 in Von's world
He now has a guitarist that's been self releasing their own work for the last 20 ish years, including on newer/digital platforms. Surely between two of them they can drag him kicking and screaming into the century of the fruitbat.

Right? ... Right? Yeah ok, prob not. :roll: :von: ;D
Much too young but far too old, to be all cranked up with nowhere to go
Being645
Above the Chemist

FinnMacCool wrote: 26 May 2022, 09:40 In other words, it's still 1996 in Von's world
Bullsh ... :lol: ... I think there might be more surprises later ... ;D ...
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

FinnMacCool wrote: 26 May 2022, 09:40In other words, it's still 1996 in Von's world
Could be worse, half his 'fans' are stuck a decade shy of '96.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The fact that he allowed Doktor Avalanche to be upgraded from DOS 3.3 shows that he's not utterly opposed to progress
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Planet Dave wrote: 26 May 2022, 12:46
FinnMacCool wrote: 26 May 2022, 09:40In other words, it's still 1996 in Von's world
Could be worse, half his 'fans' are stuck a decade shy of '96.

True that.
Yggdrasil

markfiend wrote: 25 May 2022, 11:48
Again, he doesn't want to crowdfund a Sisters record. The reason he's stated for wanting a major deal is the promotional budget and experience. He wants a label that will do things like put adverts in the press*, push any singles so they get on radio playlists, push for TV appearances, etc. The fact is though that the majors don't do any of that stuff with anyone other than the major chart stars any more.
And the fact is that artists have to do their own promotion and fan base building today. The press? What press? You mean actual paper newspapers? Or music magazines, the ones that used to exist a long time ago?

Von has the fan base, and many of them are super loyal and will buy anything he puts out — even before he does it. (Guilty as charged... ;D ).

Promotion can be done cleverly, effectively and cheaply. He has total creative freedom, a loyal international audience, and doesn't need to share income from new records with any middle men, distributors, labels, publishers, etc.

He doesn't need a major label, and the majors will never sign him.

This is a great time for artists who play live.

The band has great new material, they're better live than they've been for 20 years, they tour regularly, the fans are energized.

He should go for it.

I have spoken.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Don't get me wrong @Yggdrasil I know all of that, it's Eldritch you have to convince.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
ruffers
Overbomber

Yggdrasil wrote: 27 May 2022, 01:03
(.... lots and lots of good stuff.....)

He doesn't need

(...lots more good stuff....)

Agree with everything you say, but this bit overrides all the rest.

It is the way :|
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
iesus
Overbomber

ruffers wrote: 27 May 2022, 11:06
(.... lots and lots of good stuff.....)

He doesn't need

(...lots more good stuff....)

Agree with everything you say, but this bit overrides all the rest.

It is the way :|
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
ruffers
Overbomber

This is the day.

Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Shadaloo
Road Kill

It never fails. You get onto a heavy Sisters binge, get distracted by other pretty shiny bands, relegate the Sisters to that spot in the back of your mind's record shelf reserved for bands who've been and done and will likely never see anything new from...and then all THIS happens.

Still digesting the new material. Have to say, I'm really in love with Show Me, Eyes Of Caligula and Black Sail.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Shadaloo wrote: 27 May 2022, 23:24 Have to say, I'm really in love with Show Me, Eyes Of Caligula and Black Sail.
Especially strong when played back to back, as per the Wroclaw show (available in the Sharing section) 8)
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Yggdrasil

markfiend wrote: 27 May 2022, 09:19 Don't get me wrong @Yggdrasil I know all of that, it's Eldritch you have to convince.
But that would be much harder ;D
Yggdrasil

Shadaloo wrote: 27 May 2022, 23:24 It never fails. You get onto a heavy Sisters binge, get distracted by other pretty shiny bands, relegate the Sisters to that spot in the back of your mind's record shelf reserved for bands who've been and done and will likely never see anything new from...and then all THIS happens.

Still digesting the new material. Have to say, I'm really in love with Show Me, Eyes Of Caligula and Black Sail.
My feelings exactly...

My favorites are When I'm On Fire, But Genevieve, Don't Drive On Ice, Black Sail and She's A Monster just to name a few, but I think they're all excellent (except Better Reptile). Best consistent Sisters material since I don't know when (fan since 1983).
FinnMacCool
Amphetamine Filth

Brogue wrote: 26 May 2022, 10:19
FinnMacCool wrote: 26 May 2022, 09:40
markfiend wrote: 25 May 2022, 11:48 Oops I've missed a whole page of comments on this thread but it still stands...

* Temple Of Love 1992 had a full-page advert on the back cover of 2000AD Prog 780 for instance. Not that the ol' Tooth is doing anywhere near the sales as it was even in 1992, never mind the 80s, but that's a separate issue.
In other words, it's still 1996 in Von's world
He now has a guitarist that's been self releasing their own work for the last 20 ish years, including on newer/digital platforms. Surely between two of them they can drag him kicking and screaming into the century of the fruitbat.

Right? ... Right? Yeah ok, prob not. :roll: :von: ;D
Which guitarist is that?
FinnMacCool
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote: 25 May 2022, 11:48
And the fact is that artists have to do their own promotion and fan base building today. The press? What press? You mean actual paper newspapers? Or music magazines, the ones that used to exist a long time ago?

Von has the fan base, and many of them are super loyal and will buy anything he puts out — even before he does it. (Guilty as charged... ;D ).

Promotion can be done cleverly, effectively and cheaply. He has total creative freedom, a loyal international audience, and doesn't need to share income from new records with any middle men, distributors, labels, publishers, etc.

He doesn't need a major label, and the majors will never sign him.

This is a great time for artists who play live.

The band has great new material, they're better live than they've been for 20 years, they tour regularly, the fans are energized.

He should go for it.

I have spoken.
I'm pretty sure the reason we never got a proper follow-up to Vision Thing was that the majors refused to sign him after the EastWest debacle. But we live in a very different world now and yes, I fully agree with your prognosis. It could be done if he set his mind to it
FinnMacCool
Amphetamine Filth

So, rather surprisingly, last night we had yet another gig with no new songs - not even repeat performance of 'She's A Monster' . Has the well of inspiration already run dry?
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

FinnMacCool wrote: 29 May 2022, 11:39 So, rather surprisingly, last night we had yet another gig with no new songs - not even repeat performance of 'She's A Monster' . Has the well of inspiration already run dry?
If that's a surprise to you then I guess you must be fairly new to The Sisters. It's no surprise whatsoever, and you'll get used to it. Welcome.
FireInReptileHouse
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Planet Dave wrote: 29 May 2022, 12:17
FinnMacCool wrote: 29 May 2022, 11:39 So, rather surprisingly, last night we had yet another gig with no new songs - not even repeat performance of 'She's A Monster' . Has the well of inspiration already run dry?
If that's a surprise to you then I guess you must be fairly new to The Sisters. It's no surprise whatsoever, and you'll get used to it. Welcome.
We got FALAA and Logic. I'll take it.
we will steal what we cannot buy when all is stole from us
FinnMacCool
Amphetamine Filth

Planet Dave wrote: 29 May 2022, 12:17
:lol: No, friend, I' m not new to the Sisters: quite the reserve in fact. But there was a run on the current tour where they were playing new tunes every few gigs. and I thought (hoped) that might continue. There are still several songs referenced on the official site that are just titles
Pista
Cureboi

?
I counted 8 of the new songs on the setlist last night
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
FinnMacCool
Amphetamine Filth

Pista wrote: 29 May 2022, 13:57
?
I meant new new songs - song that have never been played before that particular gig. Like 'When I'm on Fire' on April 15th, 'Eyes of Caligula' on April 23rd, and several others this tour
Pista
Cureboi

FinnMacCool wrote: 29 May 2022, 14:08
?
I meant new new songs - song that have never been played before that particular gig. Like 'When I'm on Fire' on April 15th, 'Eyes of Caligula' on April 23rd, and several others this tour
Maybe they're not finished/ ready.
Still, 8 new songs is a pretty decent showing. Especially for a festival crowd.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
FinnMacCool
Amphetamine Filth

Pista wrote: 29 May 2022, 14:37
FinnMacCool wrote: 29 May 2022, 14:08

?
Maybe they're not finished/ ready.
Still, 8 new songs is a pretty decent showing. Especially for a festival crowd.
Yes, we've had an unusual amount of new stuff this tour and I'm certainly not complaining about that. I had just hoped the flow of new tunes might continue for a bit longer. But there are still months of touring to go and a few songs listed on the official site we've yet to hear, so who knows what might happen