The all new NEWSWORTHY thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oops, yes. There is a reference in Suetonius:
As the Jews were making constant disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus, he [Claudius] expelled them [the Jews] from Rome
Probably not even about Jesus though. Chrestus was quite a common slave name, and note he says "Jews" not "Christians".
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Dan wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:i'm sorry but i'm going back to the heaven question.
where is heaven exactly?
It's in another dimension.
except the drinking of wine & other drugs taken cause what they say happened in the bible, they were more fuckedup most the time, separating oceans & that, or just explaining evolution. and then the story about God giving his only Son to walk the earth & die for our sins for us. what kind of father does that? and also does that mean that people can go on killing & violence can go forth cause anyone can just accept the Son into their lives & they will be forgiven in the name of...?
Maybe you shouldn't take every word in the Bible literally. I believe there's some truth in it, yes, like I believe there was a man called Jesus (just a mortal man, a wise man, a preacher if you like), but as for how much truth is in the things attributed to him, we can't know which parts are the truth, which parts have been embellished, and which parts have been made up. I think if Jesus could come back and see everything that's been done in his name he'd be f**king furious.
another dimension. and how many dimensions are there then?

no i was taught not to take the Bible literally. it was taught that we should use the Bible as guide lines in our own lives, to interpret it that way.
but like you say Dan, if we don't know what parts to believe or what to, i would agree if Jesus came back everything done in His name or any other religious god's name, He would be furious & probably very sad. but man has f**ked it up ourselves.
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

DeWinter wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:i'm sorry but i'm going back to the heaven question.
where is heaven exactly? when i was young and was forced to go to church they said heaven was out there & then flapped their hands into the air. then i got older and started to look at what was out there >>>> which planet is it near? and those who believe and go to heaven aren't they in their spirit form taking away all the natural human functions?

except the drinking of wine & other drugs taken cause what they say happened in the bible, they were more fuckedup most the time, separating oceans & that, or just explaining evolution. and then the story about God giving his only Son to walk the earth & die for our sins for us. what kind of father does that? and also does that mean that people can go on killing & violence can go forth cause anyone can just accept the Son into their lives & they will be forgiven in the name of...?
It's another dimension that you have to die to enter. Strangely dying wasn't a pre-requisite of many of the other religions, you could go to Tarturus to rescue a loved one, or go on a sea voyage to Hy Brasail, Annwn, Avalon etc.

As for Jesus..there's Roman references to Nero having the leader of the Christians put to death to distract from his problems in Rome, and someone similar mentioned as a former follower of John the Baptist who followed a far less "blood and thunder" mode of preaching. Reading the Sermons on the Mount/Plains, I have to wonder why if he hated homosexuality, people eating shrimp, pork, etc he didn't mention it in public rather than basically telling everyone to be a bit nicer to each other..
again another dimension but have to be dead to enter. but surely there are more than one then? in other religions the spiritual dimension seems quite interesting. that's just the thing, if you look at the different religions it's amazing how much wider you open your mind in thought.
that ongoing eternity
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

markfiend wrote:20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
So G*d's a Gorgon! Ah, that explains a lot. :)
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

MadameButterfly wrote:if you look at the different religions it's amazing how much wider you open your mind in thought.
I'm all for having an open mind, but not so wide that my brain falls out :P
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I don't want to bring the whole discussion down to the common after we have been hearing all the academic, but I do think you get a lovely description of Heaven in "The lovely Bones"

On a different topic is Pilate responsibles for pilates?
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

markfiend wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:if you look at the different religions it's amazing how much wider you open your mind in thought.
I'm all for having an open mind, but not so wide that my brain falls out :P
:lol: :lol: wear a helmet or tin-foiled hat? we need to explore the brain so keep an open mind. :wink:
that ongoing eternity
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

SINsister wrote:
markfiend wrote:20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
Gorgon's alive
Goths have feelings too
Pista
Cureboi

paint it black wrote:
SINsister wrote:
Gorgon's alive
Yep.

But might be having a bad hair day
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

We all know that Gorgons have snakes for hair, but what about armpits? I mean, snakes biting the top of your roll-on?

(I'm sure this is a Terry Pratchett joke but I can't remember from where or the exact wording.)
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote: (I'm sure this is a Terry Pratchett joke but I can't remember from where or the exact wording.)

The question seldom addressed is where Medusa had snakes. Underarm hair is an even more embarassing problem when it keeps biting the top of the deodorant bottle. -- (Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)
;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

markfiend wrote:We all know that Gorgons have snakes for hair, but what about armpits?

...and what about...erm...elsewhere? *Cough* Urff. :urff: :lol: :innocent:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

@ Sinnie ~ mwahahaha! :twisted: how i have missed you! Mark doesn't know how to answer that one! :wink:

and then this..
markfiend wrote:
DeWinter wrote:...a toilet roll cover in the shape of a flamenco dancer...
My gran had one of those too. Bizarre.

no the most bizarre thingy is worse. remember or did you know those who used to have a knitted toliet seat? now that was bizarre & :urff:

and then why i searched for this thread...

we have a brand new section within HL for Tours in 2012! :notworthy:
better not plan our meet-up near their dates right.
that ongoing eternity
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

E readers get heavier when you add books

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/10/31/b ... are_added/

:eek:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

MadameButterfly wrote:
markfiend wrote:
DeWinter wrote:...a toilet roll cover in the shape of a flamenco dancer...
My gran had one of those too. Bizarre.

no the most bizarre thingy is worse. remember or did you know those who used to have a knitted toliet seat? now that was bizarre & :urff:
I do remember relatives with them, yes. I was again never convinced of the hygiene of them. You can wipe a toilet seat clean, but those things could harbour all sorts of nastiness! I think they're purchased by the same people who cover the legs of chairs and refer to chicken having "white meat" and "drumsticks"..
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
Dan
Overbomber

Type do a barrel roll into Google.
Also try tilt
:D
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

They'll be making Tracey Emin's bed next.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:They'll be making Tracey Emin's bed next.
I had the exact same thought when I read the news story
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
DeWinter

This did strike me as rather funny. When even Mail readers call bullsh!t on it's articles you know they're in trouble..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -time.html

My favourite is the organic grocer who pays so little his workers couldn't afford to buy his goods being astonished only workers from poor foreign countries will work for him with any enthusiasm. Followed by the hotel manager amazed people actually want to have a life.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Was it Henry Ford who said something along the lines of "If you're making a product your employees can't afford, you're in trouble"?

And this guy is producing groceries, as opposed to a car!
—Bertrand Russell
DeWinter

markfiend wrote:Was it Henry Ford who said something along the lines of "If you're making a product your employees can't afford, you're in trouble"?

And this guy is producing groceries, as opposed to a car!
Indeed it was, and great common sense it showed. Quite who thought reducing wages to subsistence level and relying on limitless credit to provide the discretionary spending was sustainable for any length of time I don't know. :|