Read, read, read!!!! education, imagination, humour

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote: I just saw it in the local supermarket for £3.80 and felt compelled.
I'll happily pass it on when finished.
Iz - You first? :lol:
If Iz declines, I'll be glad to be next in line ;D

Reading this one myself:

Rather excellent!
in dub we trust
Silver_Owl
The Don

radiojamaica wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote: I just saw it in the local supermarket for £3.80 and felt compelled.
If Iz declines, I'll be glad to be next in line ;D

Reading this one myself:

Rather excellent!
I'll swap ya! ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote: I'll swap ya! ;D
Sorry Hom, the book isn't mine to swap :(
in dub we trust
Silver_Owl
The Don

:lol:
I'll still send this on when I've finished - don't worry.

let me know how it is anyway - I've read the Deborah Curtis book and Hooky's, so I'd be interested to know how it compares. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

You are a true gentleman, Steve :wink: :notworthy:

So far the book is pretty impressive. I've been a fan for over 20 years and I tend to read everything about the band that comes in sight, but I'm at page 60 or so and I've learned quite a few things about Herr Curtis! You even get to know about his grandparents & all ;D

So yeah, it is a very nice addition to Debby's & Hooky's books!
in dub we trust
Holly_DelRey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
James Blast
Banned

possibly thee most splendid and feel good book I've ever read
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
JansenClone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hom_Corleone wrote:Image

I just saw it in the local supermarket for £3.80 and felt compelled.
I'm narcissistic but no-one.
I'm narcissistic and famous.
I'm narcissistic, famous but not selling enough.
I'm narcissistic and being sued.
Money, money they took my money.
I'm narcissistic and actually selling out venues.
I'm narcissistic and selling out bigger venues.
I'm narcissistic and selling out even bigger venues.
I'm Jesus.

That should save you a bit of time...
I am a Leeds United fan because I was very naughty in a previous life.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Is there much about the Dolls in the Morrissey book?

I mean if you don't give a toss about Morrissey or The Smiths is it worth the effort for the Fan Club bit and / or the Re-Union?

Thanks
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
James Blast
Banned

JansenClone wrote: I'm narcissistic and selling out even bigger venues.
I'm Jesus.
I'm no longer selling out venues
I'm no longer selling out smaller venues
My appeal has become more selective
It's not a big college town anyway
I am great
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Arrian (of Nicomedia)- The Anabasis of Alexander
sultan2075
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:Arrian (of Nicomedia)- The Anabasis of Alexander
Very nice :) Most of what I know of Alexander comes from Plutarch. Does Arrian have much to say about Alexander's relationship to Aristotle?

I've been reading Grant Havers' paleo-conservative critique of Leo Strauss (which I am writing a review for) and Peter Minowitz's defense of Leo Strauss for the last two weeks while traveling. Next up is Harvey Mansfield's book on manliness - titled Manliness.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
mh
Above the Chemist

Tolkien geek-out! I got this for Christmas:

And this:

And this:

Lovely hardback collectors editions, nice sturdy paper, good for fondling and even just looking at. :D :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

sultan2075 wrote:
Very nice :) Most of what I know of Alexander comes from Plutarch. Does Arrian have much to say about Alexander's relationship to Aristotle?

I've been reading Grant Havers' paleo-conservative critique of Leo Strauss (which I am writing a review for) and Peter Minowitz's defense of Leo Strauss for the last two weeks while traveling. Next up is Harvey Mansfield's book on manliness - titled Manliness.
I have Plutrach and i know that i shhould start reading from this book. but as i read in introduction, Plutrach wasn't enough cricitc toward Alexander. :wink:
iesus
Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:

Other surviving classical histories of Alexander

- The Roman historian Quintus Curtius Rufus wrote Historiae Alexandri Magni. a biography of Alexander the Great in Latin in ten books of which the last eight survive.
- The Greek historian Diodorus Siculus wrote Bibliotheca Historia in forty books; of which book seventeen covers the life and conquests of Alexander.
- The Greek historian/biographer Plutarch of Chaeronea wrote the On the Fortune or the Virtue of Alexander the Great and "Life of Alexander" in his "Parallel Lives" series, paired with "Life of Julius Caesar"
- The Roman historian Justin wrote an epitome of the Historiae Philippicae written by Gnaeus Pompeius Trogus, in 44 books. Of these books 12 and 13 cover Alexander.

I suggest Diodoros (Diodorus) Sikeliotis (Siculus) book for Alexander.
And i can't understand why that damn wikis use the Latin Diodorus instead of the Greek Diodoros for a Greek historian
:P
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Rather interesting archaeologically-accurate history of ritual in pre-Christian Britain.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Bartek wrote: I have Plutrach and i know that i shhould start reading from this book. but as i read in introduction, Plutrach wasn't enough cricitc toward Alexander. :wink:
Oh, I'm not necessarily sure of that 8)

Off the top of my head, Alexander is the only one Plutarch engages with directly, isn't he (when Alexander complains about Aristotle publishing ideas that ought not be published, Plutarch interjects, saying - essentially - that Aristotle is so obscure that he is not giving anything away)? One of my teachers used to say that the true comparison in all of Plutrach's Lives was actually Socrates. It might be worthwhile to consider them that way.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I have Plutarch's "Fortune or the Virtue of Alexander the Great", only this one, and i got it for free. Arrian cost me about $1,66 [sic!]. Both new. :wink:
and answering to your previous question: there's not a single word about Aristotle- Alexander relations. Book started from unifying/conquering Greece/Balkans and it's, as title says, about his conquers in Asia. I do like that Arrian tried to be objective, sometimes he failed on that, and there's a lot of descriptions about battles.
ciazaera
Road Kill

I've just Rashoman. Not quite the book of the film, more the stories used in the film. Wonderful stuff, especially The Martyr.
Any colour you like, so long as it's black. Unless it's a John Deere.
xfloorshowx
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Funny, tragic and interesting read...
...I’ve never had the desire to make a record unless I have something to say...
James Blast
Banned

not as funny as he is
truth be known, it's dull
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Next on my "to-read" pile is Adam Ant's autobiography "Stand And Deliver". I'll let you know...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Silver_Owl
The Don

A fine fine book.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:Image

A fine fine book.