The all new NEWSWORTHY thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hmm. The word "Thatcher" seems to be bubbling up from my sub-concious...

(Blimey it took me about 4 goes to type sub-concious then!)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I take it you won't be watching Meryl Streep's latest then? :innocent:
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote:Was it Henry Ford who said something along the lines of "If you're making a product your employees can't afford, you're in trouble"?

And this guy is producing groceries, as opposed to a car!
Then Jobs was one of the worst employer/was in the biggest trouble.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

DeWinter wrote:I take it you won't be watching Meryl Streep's latest then? :innocent:
:lol:

I tell you what though, I saw The Falklands Play not so long ago, and it did temper my opinion of the woman somewhat. Not fighting the Falklands war would have been impossible for her government.

I give no credence to the notion that the Falklands war was fought solely to win the 1983 general election.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dan
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Hmm. The word "Thatcher" seems to be bubbling up from my sub-concious...

(Blimey it took me about 4 goes to type sub-concious then!)
And yet you still mucked it up. Twice. :P
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/1 ... 99139.html
Hmm, i'm left-handed and i'm not a big fan of reggae, but i do like dub. and i like to see myself as open to new music (maybe that's why i so fast get bored of what i listen and search for something new).
What that means, more simply, is that right-handers may not be as in touch with the processes controlled by the right side of the brain, things like updating thoughts and beliefs and seeing things in new ways. The left hemisphere, alternatively, tends to stick with what's tried and true.
I like that part- esp because most right-henders i know don't really want to change their point of view while i see right now how my political,social thought.
DeWinter

Bartek wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/1 ... 99139.html
Hmm, i'm left-handed and i'm not a big fan of reggae, but i do like dub. and i like to see myself as open to new music (maybe that's why i so fast get bored of what i listen and search for something new).
What that means, more simply, is that right-handers may not be as in touch with the processes controlled by the right side of the brain, things like updating thoughts and beliefs and seeing things in new ways. The left hemisphere, alternatively, tends to stick with what's tried and true.
I like that part- esp because most right-henders i know don't really want to change their point of view while i see right now how my political,social thought.
There's a theory that most people start off liberal and become more conservative in thoughts, politics and likings as they get older. It's certainly whats happened to me. Not sure it has much to do with right or left hands, perhaps more to do with wanting security and things to remain familiar to you as time passes. What does that make someone who's ambidextrous I wonder?
Reggae? Wouldn't call myself a fan, but then apart from Marley, Grant and Aswad I haven't heard much (UB40 don't count). I've got the obligatory copy of "Legend" somewhere.
DeWinter

Bartek wrote:
markfiend wrote:Was it Henry Ford who said something along the lines of "If you're making a product your employees can't afford, you're in trouble"?

And this guy is producing groceries, as opposed to a car!
Then Jobs was one of the worst employer/was in the biggest trouble.
He was indeed an awful employer. So many killed themselves at one of the factories manufacturing his products that a new contract was drawn up for all employees making them forfeit their relatives right to compensation if they did so. What a guy. That it happened in China seems to make it acceptable in the eyes of some, not I however.
Apple produces nothing the world needs, is overpriced and the posterchild for planned obsolesence. I doubt it will survive the coming sh!tstorm in Europe and the States, because the people who make his products in China for export can't afford to buy them. As his company was nearly broke before the Ipod/pad/pointless gadget du jour fad, I don't see it surviving. :|
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

i started on left (but i wasn't really know what is this about), then i was liberal (more consciously), then i was neo-liberal and to that point this theory is true, but now i'm on many cases liberal (gay marriage, euthanasia, get rid off church from public-politic even change my mind a bit on case of abortion) and i turn a bit left or rather stop think that (full) free market is the only way to hoist people from poorness.
Pista
Cureboi

Amish hate crimes

http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/a ... 4a174.html

The ring leader couldn't have a better name

Sam Mullet, 66, had not taken part directly in the nighttime assaults against his perceived enemies, and he was not initially charged.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
damagedone

I'm not sure if i should post this one here but since i am jet lagged,i guess i'm excused :D
here is one of the first pix i took in Adelaide.It's summer here but some nice clounds here and there.The city seems pretty ok and relaxed.

full size

[edited by QB to shrink the size of photo and ads a link to the original large one]
Keep Music Evil
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Wow damagedone, that looks good.

So everything has worked out fine for you! Congrats .... ;D :notworthy: ...
Pista
Cureboi

You might want to think carefully about which pocket you put your ifone in

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/28 ... _airplane/

:eek:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I suspect Apple couldn't respond due to all of their mobiles exploding also.

:wink:

Fairly sure this is a rare, but known phenomena of overload, and isn't just limited to mobiles - sure I've heard of PDAs / laptops / netbooks doing the same...?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

timsinister wrote:I suspect Apple couldn't respond due to all of their mobiles exploding also.

:wink:

Fairly sure this is a rare, but known phenomena of overload, and isn't just limited to mobiles - sure I've heard of PDAs/laptops/netbooks doing the same...?

yeah, it's just random battery overheating.

it's happened to all kinds of devices in the past and will continue to happen. afaik most phones get their batteries from the same couple of factories in china, so it could happen to any make.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

This is how to make a complaint to the local tax office

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/12/03/ind ... ax-office/

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

Herman (Pokemon) Cain

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/0 ... ostpopular

Other quotes he could have used (& would have probably been more useful)
"Jigglypuff, Jigglyyyypuff. Jigglypuff, Jigglyyyy. Jigglypuff, Jigglyyypuff. Jigglypuff Jiggly. JIgglypuff, Jigglypuff, Jigglypuff, Jiggly. Jiggly Jigglypuff Jigglypuff, Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff, Jigglyyypuff. Jigglypuff, Jiggly. Jigglypuff, Jigglyyypuff. Jigglypuff Jiggly."
:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
mh
Above the Chemist

Kepler 22-b: Earth-like planet confirmed - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16040655

:notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

mh wrote:Kepler 22-b: Earth-like planet confirmed - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16040655

:notworthy:
I hate to p*ss on the parade, but 2.4 times Earth's radius makes it not very Earth-like. Best guess so far is that it's a bit like a mini-Neptune.

Still fantastic news though, all things considered, given that the first exo-planets were only discovered ~20 years ago. It can't be long until we find an Earth-mass planet in its star's goldilocks zone.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Calculations for the mass of this new planet on the badastronomy blog here
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

The Most Important News Story You Will Ever See! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9MGOckIzlU

(lifted from The Sisters group on facebook)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Quiff Boy wrote:The Most Important News Story You Will Ever See! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9MGOckIzlU

(lifted from The Sisters group on facebook)

original wildlife ... ;D ... :lol: ...
Pista
Cureboi

& you think you got battered last weekend.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Sleeping-drunk-m ... fault.aspx

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity