NEW SONGS!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 14:00 Blockchain is using similar amounts of electricity as entire countries now.
I've never really been able to wrap my head around that, honestly. I know it's true but it's just so fucking insane.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

I only know NFTs and what they are/do vaguely and am very suspicious of them but if people pointed out back in the day that we'd pay for music without having a physical artefact to own, people would've described it as a con also. Which to be fair maybe it is...but it's been accepted as normal now. My point is that these kind of things are probably the start of what the future will be like.
The Chancer Corporation
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The difference is that with a downloaded piece of music, the digital bit actually does something.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

abridged wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 15:00 I only know NFTs and what they are/do vaguely and am very suspicious of them but if people pointed out back in the day that we'd pay for music without having a physical artefact to own, people would've described it as a con also. Which to be fair maybe it is...but it's been accepted as normal now. My point is that these kind of things are probably the start of what the future will be like.
Except that NFTs won't provide you with any real value, paying for an MP3, or the perpetual access to it via iTunes or Google Play Store still grants you access to, well, the music or the ability to download it over and over again.

An NFT on the other hand, it's the mere receipt of a transaction, so you are essentially paying for the receipt/proof of purchase rather than a product.

You know, Blockchain isn't the problem, from a technological point-of-view it's a valid/good approach to resolve a set of problems.
NFTs and certain Cryptos on the other hand, are just Blockchain being used as a pyramid scheme with extra steps, the NFT market crash was no accident, it's a straight-up pump-and-dump + pyramid collapse, but cryptoheads refuse to accept that and keep on trying to evangelizing the world with their s**t monkey jpeg avatars that are now being sold by a fraction of its OG price.

Aye NFTs is herbalife for techbros.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
FinnMacCool
Amphetamine Filth

Husek wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 17:21
abridged wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 15:00 I only know NFTs and what they are/do vaguely and am very suspicious of them but if people pointed out back in the day that we'd pay for music without having a physical artefact to own, people would've described it as a con also. Which to be fair maybe it is...but it's been accepted as normal now. My point is that these kind of things are probably the start of what the future will be like.
Except that NFTs won't provide you with any real value, paying for an MP3, or the perpetual access to it via iTunes or Google Play Store still grants you access to, well, the music or the ability to download it over and over again.

An NFT on the other hand, it's the mere receipt of a transaction, so you are essentially paying for the receipt/proof of purchase rather than a product.

You know, Blockchain isn't the problem, from a technological point-of-view it's a valid/good approach to resolve a set of problems.
NFTs and certain Cryptos on the other hand, are just Blockchain being used as a pyramid scheme with extra steps, the NFT market crash was no accident, it's a straight-up pump-and-dump + pyramid collapse, but cryptoheads refuse to accept that and keep on trying to evangelizing the world with their s**t monkey jpeg avatars that are now being sold by a fraction of its OG price.

Well put :lol: (This forum needs a like button)
abridged
Slight Overbomber

That's fair enough. Sounds even dodgier than I thought! I do think though this is the way things are going to go in the future. If you've not anything real so to speak you sell virtual things. Techno capital and all that.
The Chancer Corporation
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Well, Yes and no. It's narrowing and shallowing the issue/thread. As NFT and Crypto are a scham, as Husek pointed, blockchain has a real value mostly in terms of securing transactions, data overall security, if implemented properly.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Meanwhile, as the public continued to get what the public wanted, The Sisters wrote some new songs.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Wilkstein
Road Kill

Blockchain is a solution to a nonexistent problem.
copper
Amphetamine Filth

FinnMacCool wrote: 29 May 2022, 09:41
Brogue wrote: 26 May 2022, 10:19He now has a guitarist that's been self releasing their own work for the last 20 ish years, including on newer/digital platforms. Surely between two of them they can drag him kicking and screaming into the century of the fruitbat.

Right? ... Right? Yeah ok, prob not. :roll: :von: ;D
Which guitarist is that?
The Gary, aka The Not-Adam.

Really digging the new tunes, despite having the same caveats as some other people in this thread. The songs function well enough, the lyrics are fine (very fine, at points), but oftentimes the song structures could use some variety and perking up. Dylan's keen to make his mark with the Sisters, and he apparently shares a good deal of songwriting chemistry with Eldo. So he could do the donkey work if called upon.

The latter-day excuse #1 ("Can't be holding the lads up in a studio") doesn't fly with Dylan. Move over to the more convenient excuses #2 ("Too modest expected returns, plus I hate promoting") and #3 ("You'll hear them live, anyway"). That would be a shame, as I feel this current lineup and their songs would warrant their inclusion in the band's discography. Yet things looked eerily similar in '97-98. 25 years of promises, right there. Give me more, then.
maggieloveshopey
Road Kill

Husek wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 17:21

my favourite description of them was "Beanie Babies for people who get angry when there are women in Star Wars"
ruffers
Overbomber

And the poppies manage to just spit a new tune out of the blue today.

See? It's not that hard...
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
czuczu
Overbomber

ruffers wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 00:02 And the poppies manage to just spit a new tune out of the blue today.

See? It's not that hard...
They have an ace mgr tho! He would not be tolerated in the current operation...
FinnMacCool
Amphetamine Filth

copper wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 20:12
FinnMacCool wrote: 29 May 2022, 09:41
Brogue wrote: 26 May 2022, 10:19He now has a guitarist that's been self releasing their own work for the last 20 ish years, including on newer/digital platforms. Surely between two of them they can drag him kicking and screaming into the century of the fruitbat.

Right? ... Right? Yeah ok, prob not. :roll: :von: ;D
Which guitarist is that?
The Gary, aka The Not-Adam.

Really digging the new tunes, despite having the same caveats as some other people in this thread. The songs function well enough, the lyrics are fine (very fine, at points), but oftentimes the song structures could use some variety and perking up. Dylan's keen to make his mark with the Sisters, and he apparently shares a good deal of songwriting chemistry with Eldo. So he could do the donkey work if called upon.

The latter-day excuse #1 ("Can't be holding the lads up in a studio") doesn't fly with Dylan. Move over to the more convenient excuses #2 ("Too modest expected returns, plus I hate promoting") and #3 ("You'll hear them live, anyway"). That would be a shame, as I feel this current lineup and their songs would warrant their inclusion in the band's discography. Yet things looked eerily similar in '97-98. 25 years of promises, right there. Give me more, then.
Yes to all that
Wyrd Sister
Road Kill

Yeah I meant Dylan, I have an old promo copy of his first self release from 1999/2000 somewhere. Between the current lineup and potential avenues re; recording/releasing stuff there's a lot of... uh, avenues. :D
Much too young but far too old, to be all cranked up with nowhere to go
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

...all of which is fine and dandy, except its Eldritch who wears the trousers and has the last say.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 10:22 ...all of which is fine and dandy, except its Eldritch who wears the trousers and has the last say.
Makes you wonder if he'll ever come on here and start telling people what they should be doing with their lives, just to mix things up a bit ;D
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 10:22 ...all of which is fine and dandy, except its Eldritch who wears the trousers and has the last say.
I'm old enough to remember in 2006 when people, supposedly In The Know, were saying that the reason for no releases was that "Adam has a lot of control in the band"
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Aahh the great TSOM conspiracy theory, and he left (nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more), the band, because Andrew regained the power.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

H. Blackrose wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 01:07
I'm old enough to remember in 2006 when people, supposedly In The Know, were saying that the reason for no releases was that "Adam has a lot of control in the band"
the key word here is "supposedly". the fact is that if you are in the band you are employed by Eldritch. if he wants to do something and you don't, there's a good chance you're going to be replaced. if you want to do something and he doesnt, then you can carry on wanting.
I am not in The Know -supposedly or otherwise- this is self-evident; and is born out by everything that's happened going back as far as the very first Ben leaving.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Wyrd Sister
Road Kill

To clarify, I'm well aware of this. It may not be a case of wanting conflicting things though. I have no idea what the other members want or would push for in these contexts, or if they even would.

But there's something about the current dynamic that sustains a hope that the idea of new recordings isn't a complete impossibility. And if it isn't, having the additional skills in-house might help Lord of the Pants make that decision/tip in favour of it if he has been considering options of his own accord. Not through the other members actively pushing for it, by simply having them on hand, utilising them and yes, still running the show having the final say.
Much too young but far too old, to be all cranked up with nowhere to go
Dan
Overbomber

Two pairs!
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

One bluse and one pair of pants per tour. :wink:
iesus
Overbomber

many people in such situations have a >1 of the same shirt pants for such occasion if that counts as "uniform" category. I believe he has more than one but the same type/color shirt pants :lol: :bat: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
jim-bob
Road Kill

Just put the pants and shirt on the rider and get a fresh set on every stop!