Wayne on the Sisters.....

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

stufarq wrote:
Being645 wrote:Wrong. In Glasgow, the sound was perfect.
This is obviously some new definition of the word "perfect" with which I'm not yet familiar. I was at that gig. It's a perfect example of what I said above: the sound was audible but still not particularly good. You could actually hear Von's voice for once but it was still very muddy, the bass and drums overpowered everything and the guitars were way too low to hear properly.
... actually hear Von's voice for once ... so you've not been to Leeds, Brussels, Tilburg, Budapest, Vienna, Berlin, Paris or elsewhere ... :lol: ...

Just take advantage of this pretty link, love, and think things over - after listening in full, instead of wasting your precious (and paid for) time at a gig with the heck you've done ... ;D ...
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

But surely when people say of the bands gigs they're sub par as often as they do, of gigs across the globe, and for as long as they've been saying it, there must be a fair amount of truth in it?
I suppose it could be just a hardcore group of people who like to whinge. With sour, truculent expressions and an air of grievance traveling the globe.
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
Drenchrom

People see gigs so differently. I have a good time whatever the band is doing, providing you have some friends with you and a few drinks. You guys just aren't going to agree on this. Most people i know who travel to see the Sisters don't really post on here, and i don't think were looking for sonic perfection just a space to have some fun.
Although the worst gig i have seen was a Sisters gig mind, i think you can guess which one that was.
One persons idea of perfection can vary to anothers and both peoples opinions are valid, just different.
Last years gigs were rather excellent, Leeds and London were my favs. Dublin less so and Sonisphere was a great day out. I missed Glasgow so i can't comment on it and i won't comment on a gig by how the bootleg sounds either, a most bizarre thing to do.

By the way the best place to stand for a Sisters gig is at the front (but not by the barrier and not behind Zeno!).

Matt..
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

centurionofprix wrote:
stufarq wrote:]Bands don't handpick venues at all. They play wherever is available at the time they're touring and usually leave it up to tour managers and promoters.

Any venue that wasn't "suitable" for live bands to play in would soon find itself closed.
Both Von and Chris have said this is what they did for the 2011 tour, and at least one of them suggested this was the reason for the generally better quality of the show. Maybe they knew the Lund venue by someone's recommendation, or reputation, or maybe it was just an exception. I couldn't say.
As I said, the suggestion that the venue is at fault is ridiculous as those venues would quickly go out of business.
Being645 wrote:so you've not been to Leeds
I was at Leeds 2009. It was awful.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

stufarq wrote:
Honestly? Why? And why did you miss this train?

I think it's better you let us all know the facts as they were and weep a bit, instead of suffering (and make us all suffer) any further ... Image
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Being645 wrote:
stufarq wrote:
Honestly? Why?
All the reasons I've already given. And all the reasons many others have given for concerts they were at being awful.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

stufarq wrote:
Being645 wrote:
stufarq wrote: I was at Leeds 2009. It was awful.
Honestly? Why?
All the reasons I've already given. And all the reasons many others have given for concerts they were at being awful.
Not every concert over the past 30 years great. That is just a fact. However, recently The Sisters have improved not only the sound but lots of other things as well. But whatever you do, there are always people who just won't recognise neither you, nor your effort. And it's not worth discussing with them or trying to satisfy their demands, because they can never be satisfied exept with your destruction. Suckers and not more, taking everything without any return at best and still complaining in order to press more out of you. Just disgusting to my taste. Sorry for that.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

You seems to forgot something here, people who attend at (their- TSOM) gigs paid for entrance, sometimes not small amout of money compare to their salary, so they can demand 'product' that is comparable to ticket price, for instance band taking care about, i don't know, live sound or something. None blame band because beer was expensive or venue was hot, but live sound with performacne (ok, this one is matter of taste) is every band having their own soundmen duty to care about.

Now, try to tell your boss same sentence when he/she tells you that he/she not satisfacted with results of your work. Good luck with finding new job.

This whole 'debate' with you is completely pointless.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Bartek wrote:You seems to forgot something here, people who attend at (their- TSOM) gigs paid for entrance, sometimes not small amout of money compare to their salary, so they can demand 'product' that is comparable to ticket price, for instance band taking care about, i don't know, live sound or something. None blame band because beer was expensive or venue was hot, but live sound with performacne (ok, this one is matter of taste) is every band having their own soundmen duty to care about.
You seem to think I would not pay or I were rich. Error. After those travel last year, I'm completely ruined. But it was definitely worth it ...

Fact is, that the sound has widely been alright since 2009, whether some like it or not. It might not be fine at the bar. But as I don't go to gigs to get drunk but to listen to the music, to enjoy the concert and maybe even dance, you won't find me at the bar where the sound is bad and low enough for some to hear their mobile ring and to talk about whatever they please ... Especially during The Sisters XXX Tour, the band have done a lot about the sound and also experimented with various settings - most probably to satisfy complainers - and of course, because they want the sound to be good. I have to admit, that in order to check whether the sound is the same all over, I've changed my place during concerts time and again. The result: sometimes is was really bad in other places than where I use to stand, but mostly it was different (logically) but fine.
Bartek wrote: Now, try to tell your boss same sentence when he/she tells you that he/she not satisfacted with results of your work. Good luck with finding new job.
Good luck to you either! If you believe what most employers tell you about the quality of your work, you will soon be frustrated as can be and - which is the intention behind - never get the courage together to demand a wage in line with your effort ... such employers will never pay you reasonably, suck you until you complain, dismiss you as soon as things become uncomfortable regarding their savings at your cost (and be it even within criminal sorts of employment) - and take the next person in need enough to work for low pay.
Mav787
One life, all I need

Being645 wrote:Not every concert over the past 30 years great.
Its fair to say some have been quite poor.
Being645 wrote:However, recently The Sisters have improved not only the sound but lots of other things as well.
The sound has been better recently. The set lists have been a little more varied, which is good. But if you look over the last 30 years the sound, setlists, lights etc were much better in the first 10 to 15 years of the band, even compared to now.
Being645 wrote:But whatever you do, there are always people who just won't recognise neither you, nor your effort. And it's not worth discussing with them or trying to satisfy their demands, because they can never be satisfied exept with your destruction. Suckers and not more, taking everything without any return at best and still complaining in order to press more out of you. Just disgusting to my taste. Sorry for that.
You see this is where you really let yourself down. When you preview your message, take a breath, compose yourself, and think about what you are trying to say before hitting the submit button.

You are not describing people on this forum.
Being645 wrote:they can never be satisfied exept with your destruction.
Who wants their destruction? I've never wanted and doubt anyone else on here has either. We might want them to sound better or to release an album or play Good Things outside Belgium but nobody wants them to stop.
Being645 wrote:Suckers and not more, taking everything without any return at best and still complaining in order to press more out of you.
I've been all over Europe following the Sisters and no matter the quality of the show I've clapped, cheered and generally encouraged. I've never commented on the sound whilst at a show. I've never slagged them off to my mates who don't like them. The only place i've commented is on here which I took to be a place where Sisters fans could speak openly between ourselves.

You sound besotted with :von:. I reckon you are one step awaying from being a stalker.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Mav787 wrote:I've never slagged them off to my mates who don't like them. The only place i've commented is on here which I took to be a place where Sisters fans could speak openly between ourselves.
That's exactly how I feel about it too :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Being645 wrote:Fact is, that the sound has widely been alright since 2009, whether some like it or not. It might not be fine at the bar. But as I don't go to gigs to get drunk but to listen to the music, to enjoy the concert and maybe even dance, you won't find me at the bar where the sound is bad and low enough for some to hear their mobile ring and to talk about whatever they pleas.
Last time when i saw TSOM i was in 5th or 6th row and i could talked raising my voice not higher than when you're near street traffic, i 'sung' louder that TSOM were. The only reason for me to move my arse to city where TSOM would play would be to a) see HLers a) see that particular town, but not attend at their gig. I'd rather spent money that i would have to spend on ticket on something else, but not to see this band. Not until this band will do something else than do best of with 'new' (ten years ago first time played) songs (with new-new 'arms') tours, not to mention about improving live sound for good.

Now I'm done, my participation in this part of this topic, for sure to 'discuss' with You Being645.
Being645 wrote: Good luck to you either! If you believe what most employers tell you about the quality of your work, you will soon be frustrated as can be and - which is the intention behind - never get the courage together to demand a wage in line with your effort ... such employers will never pay you reasonably, suck you until you complain, dismiss you as soon as things become uncomfortable regarding their savings at your cost (and be it even within criminal sorts of employment) - and take the next person in need enough to work for low pay.
That was figure of speech to show relation between band and people who attending at gigs/buying ticket. Don't preach me about employer-employee relations, because i know that from my own observation and experience.
Mav787 wrote:You sound besotted with :von:. I reckon you are one step awaying from being a stalker.
I think that she crossed that line long time ago.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

I had written a whole lot to reply to all your complaints, but it's just tedious.
So I spared the effort. It's just not worth it.

Some quote my posts in a way that creates a false picture by omitting half of the words. Others feel that I write about them, while it's a general remark and not even in reply to them. The next one suggests I were a stalker ... only because they can't have it that I think The Sisters have played a wonderful tour recently and improved a lot of all those things, they complained about for decades.

I don't care for your motives. Do that amongst "yourselves". I enjoy the gigs where I have the chance to attend them. The sound is ok with me. The dynamics are ok with me. Unfairness is not and will never be ok with me.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Oh God, let's all be honest, I've been seeing them since 1982 when they supported The Psychedlic Furs in the Riley Smith at LUU, sometimes they are good live and sometimes they're s**t.

XXX gigs at Leeds last year were good, better than the last few years tbh.

Must admit that usually go to the gigs nowadays to catch up with old friends from back then that I rarely see elsewhere.

So a few pints and a well chosen new song, silly cover or rarity tends to make me smile..... like Summer.

Hello to Scardy, Ben Gunn, Carrie, Isis, Keys, Jane, Nick, Gaz and the gang if you're here.

Anyway, back to what Wayne said....
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Quite often it crossed my mind to let go all the bootlegs and live stuff i ve got through weeding and trades, from 1990 and on , i never listen to it (with the exception of some 97-98 gigs) On the contrary the 81-85 live stuff after all those years still gets a vey often play in my house and just confirmes every single time why the old sisters are my favourite band.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Being645 wrote:I had written a whole lot to reply to all your complaints, but it's just tedious.

Some quote my posts in a way that creates a false picture by omitting half of the words. Others feel that I write about them, while it's a general remark and not even in reply to them. The next one suggests I were a stalker ... only because they can't have it that I think The Sisters have played a wonderful tour recently and improved a lot of all those things, they complained about for decades.

I don't care for your motives. Do that amongst "yourselves". I enjoy the gigs where I have the chance to attend them. The sound is ok with me. The dynamics are ok with me. Unfairness is not and will never be ok with me.
Sabine have your opinion and let every one else have theirs. I'm on your side with tour, sound and sometimes wonder why some can't stop agonizing themselves in one way or another but that's up to them as well. I do not care. Use many words and people can react on many words in ways you like or not but that's the consequence of your posts. Have a laugh about it and enjoy the band, their music,sound, Apple, lead singer etc. :wink:

Back to Wayne indeed so I can get my coat and leave this thread! ;D
"as we walk on the floodland"
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:I had written a whole lot to reply to all your complaints, but it's just tedious.

I´m glad you enjoy the gigs. That´s what it´s all about. And it is ok that the sound and dynamics are ok with you.
But don´t try to tell anyone that the sound has improved. I am sure that they are using the same settings on the mixing desk as they have done the last (many) couple of years. "A lot of things has improved". So what else has improved?
Silver_Owl
The Don

690 + posts on the subject. :roll:

can I lock the thread yet? :innocent:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
sam1

Hom_Corleone wrote:690 + posts on the subject. :roll:

it's only a matter of time before Wayne himself logs on and gets his tuppence worth!!
Jeremiah

The reason why the sound is bad at concerts is because the audience is talking instead of listening.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Hom_Corleone wrote:690 + posts on the subject. :roll:

Yes please! :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
playboy

Jeremiah wrote:The reason why the sound is bad at concerts is because the audience is talking instead of listening.
We wouldn´t talk if we had something to listen to.....
Being645
Wiki Wizard

playboy wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:The reason why the sound is bad at concerts is because the audience is talking instead of listening.
We wouldn´t talk if we had something to listen to.....
... :lol: ... every teacher knows that this is not quite true.

Ozpat wrote:

Sabine have your opinion and let every one else have theirs. I'm on your side with tour, sound and sometimes wonder why some can't stop agonizing themselves in one way or another but that's up to them as well. I do not care. Use many words and people can react on many words in ways you like or not but that's the consequence of your posts. Have a laugh about it and enjoy the band, their music,sound, Apple, lead singer etc. :wink:

Back to Wayne indeed so I can get my coat and leave this thread! ;D
Thanks Ozpat, I completely agree ... it's just a waste of time to discuss where people perceive things so differently.
Most likely all sides are right to a certain degree and therefore we oughta accept and respect each others opinions.

Perhaps we should have a Sisters Complaint Box Thread,
where all complainers can leave their message to The Sisters for discussion ... and where I wouldn't go, err ...perhaps ... ;D :lol: ...

As to Wayne, however, I'm through with that issue since:
gael515 wrote:I had the opportunity to talk briefly with Wayne on the m*****n show in Mexico a couple of weeks ago, I gave him loads of Sisters stuff to sign, he said that there is no bad blood between him and Von anymore, he says that if there is any conflict is between the fans and thats it
gael515 wrote:
Aazhyd wrote:You let Wayne sign SISTERS stuff? OMG!!

Are you gonna let him sign Vision Thing too? I'd love that.
Obviously not stuff he was not involved with, he signed my FALAA LP, the Walk Away single and some band pictures...

A girl wanted him to sign her Floodland shirt...he said NO :urff:
Fair enough ... and thank you very much for your effort, gael515 ... Image ...
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Best gig I've ever seen was a Sisters one. They might not be as good as then, but most of the times they give me top nites out anyway!

I think you do have to make your own fun at Sisters gigs. They're not a band to watch with your arms folded and be very critical about every aspect of the 'live show'.
Get in there, sweat, dance, mosh, sing, make out, watch the pretty lights, ... plenty of things to do!

On the other hand, the same applies for other bands too.

:D
in dub we trust
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

We seem to be going around in circles. To answer any of Being645's points would simply be repeating myself so I'm out, worn down by the weight of delusion and selective attention.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.