Worst Sisters songs.

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
unholyracket
Road Kill

I think there should be a concerted effort to rehabilitate 'The Damage Done'. If they can pull off Gimme, Gimme, Gimme and Jolene then surely even the cheesiest Sisters tune can be pull back from oblivion. It should be treated as a cover and given the wall of sound treatment. Or do I just need my pins adjusting?
Closer73
Road Kill

unholyracket wrote:I think there should be a concerted effort to rehabilitate 'The Damage Done'. If they can pull off Gimme, Gimme, Gimme and Jolene then surely even the cheesiest Sisters tune can be pull back from oblivion. It should be treated as a cover and given the wall of sound treatment. Or do I just need my pins adjusting?

Good excuse to employ a new bassist too.
Closer73
Road Kill

BillyBadBreaks wrote:
markfiend wrote:
unholyracket wrote:Kiss The Carpet (only it's mother could love it)
:eek:

Wrong wrong wrong. The Reptile House is as close to perfection as anything The Sisters have ever created.
Totally agree Mr. Fiend :notworthy:

...and it made a fantastic intro on the 17th!
Mr. Wah
Amphetamine Filth

Machine Regime wrote:
Sonya Marmeladova wrote:
Mr. Wah wrote:Trying to be objective here...

The first single. Goes without saying.
Possession.
Torch. I've thought this was rubbish ever since 1987.
Anything that was released with Dominion, except Emma.
Doctor Jeep (although the lyrics are brilliant)
You Could Be The One (although the lyrics are hilarious)
Romeo Down.

Apart from that, it's all good.
Oh, I LOVE possession!
Agreed, Sonya - Possession is surely one of THE definitive Sisters song - though I'd say it sounds way better on its live '91 performance than as a studio track - check it out on Youtube if you haven't heard it yet... :D

Disagree with just about everything Mr Wah is saying there, though I admit Romeo takes some getting into...
I think I probably mislabeled this thread. What I meant was 'least good'... I didn't mean to imply that there are lots of low quality Sisters songs. I still say the first single is utter rubbish, and I think Torch and Possession are, if not bad songs, musically quite unimaginative by Sisters standards. Torch definitely looks highly out of place quality-wise sitting on the CD of Floodland.

As for Doctor Jeep, I see that I was definitely being unfair. I really like the edit and the extended version. It's just that the album version is somewhat 'unadorned', if you follow. The same goes for When You Don't See Me; the remix is much more interesting than the VT version.

Romeo Down has grown on me a bit over the years, although I still think it's one of the lesser unreleased songs.

Things released with Dominion - Sandstorm, Untitled, Ozymandius... they are what they are, and they aren't even songs, really. Perhaps they shouldn't be on the list.

And You Could Be The One is a foray into outright comedy, which I enjoy rather than admire.
Sonya Marmeladova
Road Kill

Mr. Wah wrote:
Machine Regime wrote:
Sonya Marmeladova wrote: Oh, I LOVE possession!
Agreed, Sonya - Possession is surely one of THE definitive Sisters song - though I'd say it sounds way better on its live '91 performance than as a studio track - check it out on Youtube if you haven't heard it yet... :D

Disagree with just about everything Mr Wah is saying there, though I admit Romeo takes some getting into...
I think I probably mislabeled this thread. What I meant was 'least good'... I didn't mean to imply that there are lots of low quality Sisters songs. I still say the first single is utter rubbish, and I think Torch and Possession are, if not bad songs, musically quite unimaginative by Sisters standards. Torch definitely looks highly out of place quality-wise sitting on the CD of Floodland.

As for Doctor Jeep, I see that I was definitely being unfair. I really like the edit and the extended version. It's just that the album version is somewhat 'unadorned', if you follow. The same goes for When You Don't See Me; the remix is much more interesting than the VT version.

Romeo Down has grown on me a bit over the years, although I still think it's one of the lesser unreleased songs.

Things released with Dominion - Sandstorm, Untitled, Ozymandius... they are what they are, and they aren't even songs, really. Perhaps they shouldn't be on the list.

And You Could Be The One is a foray into outright comedy, which I enjoy rather than admire.
Agree with you some (sistersofmercy very uneven. They do not make many Ok-songs but some s**t and some fantastic).
but possession; wat (!?), it has a beautiful melody (i mean also compared to other sistersofmercy-songs).
Sonya Marmeladova
Road Kill

There is a big gap between sistersofmercys good songs and sistersofmercys bad songs I think..It seems he look up to things that are so much bader than the ones he creates.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Sonya Marmeladova wrote:There is a big gap between sistersofmercys good songs and sistersofmercys bad songs I think..It seems he look up to things that are so much bader than the ones he creates.
Hihi ... funny you say that.
There are no bad Sisters songs for me, since Von can make almost everything of each of them when singing ...

For the second part of your sentence I had similar impressions ... but what others create or represent is always subject to personal perception ... and what it can mean to someone is irreplaceable at times ... depending on the heart. That's why I say time and again: Red heart, red heat ... IMHO, there are things where we very, very hardly have a choice, if at all. And whether we like it or not. Not respecting this does inevitably ensue self-destruction right to the core and deprive oneself of one's essential basis.

*Sorry for my approach to those who need not read it ... it's empty words anyway, go ahead, go figure ... or forgive yourself and me. I've been there.
Miki_Mundi
Road Kill

For me personally I would have to say that the Vision Thing era doesnt really have the same impact for me as the preceeding body of work, with the exception of Ribbons.
Its the album that I find myself listening to the least whereas anything before I can have playing over and over again....
"In illusion comfort lies.."
Pics 16.02.11
https://picasaweb.google.com/1183831368 ... MCKnPGphwE#
Sonya Marmeladova
Road Kill

Miki_Mundi wrote:For me personally I would have to say that the Vision Thing era doesnt really have the same impact for me as the preceeding body of work, with the exception of Ribbons.
Its the album that I find myself listening to the least whereas anything before I can have playing over and over again....
I think so too, it is not as melodic.
Sonya Marmeladova
Road Kill

I do not at all like this song "Are you living for love". Is it serious meant? it sounds almost like a boyband-song..
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Sonya Marmeladova wrote:I do not at all like this song "Are you living for love". Is it serious meant? it sounds almost like a boyband-song..
Anything......Under The Gun!
"as we walk on the floodland"
Emily
Road Kill

Damage Done (although I would not mind owning the original vinyl ;-))
Under the Gun
Dr Jeep
This Corrosion (that one's only good while being heartsick)
Detonation Boulevard is also not that favourite

I am not the biggest fan of some other songs, but once I started to love them being played live. So those ones are not the worst songs at all ;-)
Azazel666
Road Kill

Emily wrote:Damage Done (although I would not mind owning the original vinyl ;-))
join the club!

i am not a great fan of under the gun, and this corrosion has started to bore me a bit, although i wouldnt turn it over if it came on, but there is no sisters song that i would really say I hate. some are, obviously, better than other though
n'Emolicia
Amphetamine Filth

Under the Gun is not a good song
to listen to right after a break-up or death.
But, after some healing has taken place,
it's a great motivator when you're ready
to try to start loving, again.

It has power.
...and some of us wandered off entirely on purpose.