Slightly depressed.... (CBPOB)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Order fulfilled. I feel sure, you will throw me away now.
sam1
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ever so slightly pissed off about the fact I have been advertising for staff for 9 weeks now and not one suitable candidate!
(Well ,not including the two chefs I took on ,only for them both not to show on the start dates :x :x :x :x )
Big Si
School Bully

sam1 wrote:Ever so slightly pissed off about the fact I have been advertising for staff for 9 weeks now and not one suitable candidate!
(Well ,not including the two chefs I took on ,only for them both not to show on the start dates :x :x :x :x )
What about YTS or kids at Techie Colleges, and give them "on the job" vocational training? :|
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Being645
Wiki Wizard

.. I've broken off the handle of my favourite mug ... :cry: :cry: :cry: ...
sam1

Big Si wrote:
sam1 wrote:Ever so slightly pissed off about the fact I have been advertising for staff for 9 weeks now and not one suitable candidate!
What about YTS or kids at Techie Colleges, and give them "on the job" vocational training? :|

great idea in theory.. we are too small a business to take on any more than one trainee at a time and as I already have one commis chef the business can't support another..I need trained /skilled hands

not to mention (I'm going to get shot down for this ,I can tell!!) I think a lot of people out of school don't want to work!! certainly not in an industry which will mean working at nights/weekends--they see celebrity chefs and they think that it is f**king around in the kitchen,they don't see 12+ hours a day learning a craft,whilst getting told what to do in a pressurised environment
Whilst typing this I feel old as my first job in 1986 required me to work 60+ hours a week ,and I was going in on my day off to learn certain butchery/pastry skills
Kids on YTS or tech colleges are discouraged from doing this now in case they get tired
Things are that bad that my next job will be working for myself in some capacity so I can do the job I have trained for,for 25 years at a level where I do not have to rely on others,whether it be kids from the colleges or trained workers!!!

don't shoot me down for all that...I'm trying to make sure I can give a decent level of food for the customers,whilst protecting the business!!!!!

glad I got that off my chest :lol:
Salome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

sam1 wrote:
Big Si wrote:

great idea in theory.. we are too small a business to take on any more than one trainee at a time and as I already have one commis chef the business can't support another..I need trained /skilled hands

not to mention (I'm going to get shot down for this ,I can tell!!) I think a lot of people out of school don't want to work!! certainly not in an industry which will mean working at nights/weekends--they see celebrity chefs and they think that it is f**king around in the kitchen,they don't see 12+ hours a day learning a craft,whilst getting told what to do in a pressurised environment
Whilst typing this I feel old as my first job in 1986 required me to work 60+ hours a week ,and I was going in on my day off to learn certain butchery/pastry skills
Kids on YTS or tech colleges are discouraged from doing this now in case they get tired
Things are that bad that my next job will be working for myself in some capacity so I can do the job I have trained for,for 25 years at a level where I do not have to rely on others,whether it be kids from the colleges or trained workers!!!

don't shoot me down for all that...I'm trying to make sure I can give a decent level of food for the customers,whilst protecting the business!!!!!

Shame not everybody thinks like you... my husband is a sue chef, and he finds it very hard to get a decent job with a decent pay, because everybody prefer to hire uneducated, unexperienced staff, pay them less and change them every month tops :.P
Big Si
School Bully

sam1 wrote:
Big Si wrote:

Not just in your industry mate. Every place of employment i've been to has had several young lads/lasses that just spend each day going through the motions, and are first out the door at 5 o'clock.

And don't get me started on those that are always phoning in sick, and the Ignorant bitchy women that I have to work alongside of.

Oh, a womans work is never done! That's why you're paid less! :twisted:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
sam1

Big Si wrote:
And don't get me started on those that are always phoning in sick,
I could maybe give you a run for your money on that one :lol:
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Big Si wrote:Not just in your industry mate. Every place of employment i've been to has had several young lads/lasses that just spend each day going through the motions, and are first out the door at 5 o'clock.

And don't get me started on those that are always phoning in sick, and the Ignorant bitchy women that I have to work alongside of.

Oh, a womans work is never done! That's why you're paid less! :twisted:
... funny, I ALWAYS got into difficulty with employers because I actually worked as long as it took to get things done,
because I hate unfinished jobs ... but believe me, I won't do that again ... most employers can't afford it anyway and
need to frustrate their employees to prevent potential and well-founded demands for an adequate wage ...

Being good at your job seems to be the worst choice ever if you're female, anyway ... and will pretty soon
give rise to the worst sorts of resentment ... stuff like dreaming of getting f**ked or married by your employer included ... :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff: ...

But stop, things get really worse, when you even have eyes enough to become aware of the shortcomings of any company,
senior or colleague within short and find no way to hide the impression of this infamous knowledge on your face ...

All out of fear you were after their position or because they know exactly they oughta to pay you like a human being ...
phh, poor chaps ...* though on my part, some entire disgust for these creatures has incurably taken over... and I smell of it, believe me ...

:lol: ... ok, enough of that for t'day ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Just heard from my dad. His diagnosis isn't 100% certain yet, but it's looking like bowel cancer.

I don't really know how to deal with this information.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote:Just heard from my dad. His diagnosis isn't 100% certain yet, but it's looking like bowel cancer.

You don't deal with it until that 100 procent. Then you split it into bite-sized chunks and divide them between you, the family and friends.

You can do it, but it was never said it would be easy :|

Lots of strength to you and the family in advance then, but hoping it is something less serious.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Being645
Wiki Wizard

markfiend wrote:Just heard from my dad. His diagnosis isn't 100% certain yet, but it's looking like bowel cancer.

Horror ... but even if this should prove to be true, there are still chances of recovery ...

* keeping my fingers crossed for you and your family ...
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I don't think anyone really knows how :?

Good luck man, please let us know if we can do anything.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Thanks Iz, Being, Tim.

Had an update: he's having tests (including a CAT scan) but the prognosis is that if it is cancer, they've caught it very early, so chances are good.

It still feels a bit like the foundations of the world have come a bit loose though. :|
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Sad news mate, keeping everything crossed this can get sorted for Dadfiend.

Keep the heed big man.
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
mh
Above the Chemist

Loadsa fingers crossed here too, mate. :|
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
christophe
Overbomber

same here Mark, I'm sending some good vibes over there!
Another Shade of You.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Thanks people. You guys!
—Bertrand Russell
DeWinter

Big Si wrote:
sam1 wrote:
Big Si wrote: What about YTS or kids at Techie Colleges, and give them "on the job" vocational training? :|

Not just in your industry mate. Every place of employment i've been to has had several young lads/lasses that just spend each day going through the motions, and are first out the door at 5 o'clock.
(This is no dig at you guys personally..)
I'm afraid the old axiom of paying peanuts and getting monkeys is the problem for the catering industry. It's notorious for appalling working conditions, unsociable hours, and quite often illegal practises (like paying under the minimum wage and making it up from the tips jar!). The prospect of running your own kitchen at the end of it really isn't enough. No-one with a bit of nous would touch that industry with a bargepole.
Even some of the celebrity chefs like Worral-Thompson have claimed the industry hasn't emerged from the 19th century!It's up there with retail in terms of demanding work for no payback. Pay a decent wage, and decent hard-working staff will appear because the job will be desirable and they'll want to keep it, surely? :|
As for the staff who leave at 5, why on earth shouldn't they? If their employers want them to stay later offer them overtime pay and they will. I'm tired of employers giving as little as possible and expecting more than that back from their staff.
I will be selling copies of "Marxism Today" by the foyer..
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

markfiend wrote:Had an update: he's having tests (including a CAT scan) but the prognosis is that if it is cancer, they've caught it very early, so chances are good.
That's good news, though I can imagine you're more than shaken by it. All the best to you and him and yours, I'm sure he'll be getting all the support he needs :)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

Fingers crossed for your dad Mark. Chances should be good, as they've caught it early on.
RIP Dale: 1994 - 2009
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Thanks again everyone.
—Bertrand Russell
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

A colleague with incurable cancer. Max one year to go! Sad! :(
"as we walk on the floodland"
black smurf
Amphetamine Filth

a mate of mine has beaten bowel cancer and liver cancer in the last ten years. he became a grandad late last year and really does live life to the full. hope your dad's the same, it can be done.
thinking of u and yours. take care
smufr :cry:
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

all the best with the recovery of your father M

@Ozpat sorry to hear...these things remind me why I shoudn't worry about irrelevant things..or things out of my control...which are trying to upset me now actually..but ain't gonna happen.

as it was said before we should really enjoy life to the fullest...otherwise it's not worth it