Which band/singer is better than the Sisters?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
James Blast
Banned

Not from Chateau B'last, I think you all should turn down your amps from 11.

I see good spirits, I see bad spirits. :cry:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Halalujah!Brothers and sisters. :lol:
But I'm stepping down from the pulpit now.I apologise for my being an opinionated old goth.But in my defence I've been getting that kind of crap for more years than I care to remember.

@Bismark;IMO "Dawnrazor" is the weakest Neph album,"The Nephilim"and their finest moment "Elisium" are far more inventive and as Muppet quite rightly says,ploughed their own furrow.
A word of warning though,Nephilim albums are not immediate and to the uninitiated,McCoys vocals can grate.But take my word for it,if you enjoy the darker Sisters stuff,stick with it and eventually you WILL understand!
@Muppet;The closest I've come to The Neph's C88 sound is "Garden of Delight" on their "Apocryphal 2-The Faithful" album.Despite some cringe inducing lyrics(they're German after all) and aweful karaoke Von vocals,it really isn't that far off.
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
wild bill buttock

There will be a prize awarded for the first person to reply to the last part of my post with something along the lines of "Sounds just like the Nephilim then".
James Blast
Banned

I want to know what the prize is, first?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Why can't we all just love one another?

'cept those peeps that listen to Bon Jovi that's just wrong
:urff: ;D :) :eek: :innocent:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
wild bill buttock

James Blast wrote:I want to know what the prize is, first?
A rare copy of "Now that's what I call bands that sound like fish"
wild bill buttock

weebleswobble wrote:Why can't we all just love one another?
Another group hug :?:
Trouble is I got a boner during the last one :oops:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

weebleswobble wrote:'cept those peeps that listen to Bon Jovi that's just wrong
:urff: ;D :) :eek: :innocent:
Ah, you mean Vision Thing? :innocent:

Well, I got there before Keef did. :lol:
Badlander
Overbomber

wild bill buttock wrote:@Bismark;IMO "Dawnrazor" is the weakest Neph album,"The Nephilim"and their finest moment "Elisium" are far more inventive and as Muppet quite rightly says,ploughed their own furrow.
And don't forget Earth Inferno. A fan-fcuking-tastic live album. :twisted:
To be honest, I think The Nephilim suffers from some pretty dated production. :?
Still a very good album though.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
scotty
Overbomber

wild bill buttock wrote:
@Bismark;IMO "Dawnrazor" is the weakest Neph album,"The Nephilim"and their finest moment "Elisium" are far more inventive and as Muppet quite rightly says,ploughed their own furrow.
Ooohh.........can't agree with you there, "Dawnrazor" is Thee NEPHILIM sound, Heavy, Hard, Abrasive, Goth/Punk/Metal at it's best :notworthy: :notworthy: , a Nephilim gig C87/88 would leave your eyes bleeding from the volume, the skin from your face would be lying on the floor next to you from McCoys gravely howl, no doubt honed by hours of gargling with broken glass and razor blades, you came out of a gig feeling like you've just had a good kickin'!!!.
Gigs on the "Elizium" tour were a much more subdued affair, the Volume was toned down on the "For Her Light" tour, this was carried on through to this tour, the LP is good, in a "Proggy concept stylee", don't get me wrong, I love "Elizium", but if you want to hear Fields of the Nephilim, reach for "Dawnrazor"!...............IMO, of course :wink:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Badlander
Overbomber

That's exactly the problem with the first two albums : they don't reflect the sheer energy of the live performance. Just compare them to the BBC live album or the Forever remain video. The live version of Dust is truly amazing while the album version is... merely pretty good I guess.
As a studio effort, Elizium is the most convincing of the three IMO. 8)

I also like the Nefilim album. Shame on me. :oops: :lol:
James Blast
Banned

Fallen is my my fave...

... awrite, give us a good kickin' Las :oops:
~ Peter Steele
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Badlander wrote:
ZOON made my ears bleed coupled with p*ssing myself laughing :!:
Still, I quite liked it...... ;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Badlander
Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:
Badlander wrote:
ZOON made my ears bleed coupled with p*ssing myself laughing :!:
Still, I quite liked it...... ;D
And what do you do when you don't like an album ? :eek: :P :lol:
wild bill buttock

scotty wrote: a Nephilim gig C87/88 would leave your eyes bleeding from the volume, the skin from your face would be lying on the floor next to you from McCoys gravely howl, no doubt honed by hours of gargling with broken glass and razor blades, you came out of a gig feeling like you've just had a good kickin'!!!.
Gigs on the "Elizium" tour were a much more subdued affair, the Volume was toned down on the "For Her Light" tour, this was carried on through to this tour
Actually I thought their gigs,like their albums,got better and better.I first saw them in 87 and I really think they peaked on The Sumerland tour,Although the best gig I ever saw them do was in 89 on The Psychonaut tour.
I really did feel like I'd had a good kicking after one Neph gig because I had.I foolishly attempted to collapse a record breaking five man pyramid and was rewarded by a good thrashing by a gang of angry and merciless Bonanzas.
Muppet
Amphetamine Filth

Thanks, Wild Bill... will keep my ears peeled for Garden of Delight (not sure about the karoke von vocals though!!!!!!!)

Actually, I've always found Tool to be pretty close to the Neph - not vocally obviously, but the same atmosphere is there for sure. Listen to "Disposition" back to back with "Celebrate" and you'll see what I mean....

I agree that the production on the first two albums was a little too "clean" compared with their visceral live performances, but I still love them!

And Mourning Sun deserves a mention for being possibly the best comeback album of all time...
"You've a pretty good command of English, for a vole..."
Badlander
Overbomber

Muppet wrote: Actually, I've always found Tool to be pretty close to the Neph - not vocally obviously, but the same atmosphere is there for sure. Listen to "Disposition" back to back with "Celebrate" and you'll see what I mean....
I don't totally agree : Tool have their roots in hardcore (cf. the first EP), even though it's far from obvious now. They're both much influenced by prog-rock, but in the case of FotN, it didn't really show until Psychonaut.
But yes, generally speaking you're right. That's just me being picky. ;D :roll:
Muppet
Amphetamine Filth

Oh yup, their roots are different, but due to convergent evolution, they reached pretty much similar places.
"You've a pretty good command of English, for a vole..."
Mokarran
Road Kill

'For f**k sake man,goth bashing is such a passe crock of s**t.You really think I am outraged by you're narrow minded,ill informed bull s**t!'

Hey Bill - don't be upset! I've always been very fond of goths, but there ain't nobody above a p*ss-taking. My mind, it has to be said, can be narrow - but always in the best places.

Your friend,

Mokarran
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I see a lot of parallels between Tool and the Nephs too.

And I'm with Wild Bill; goth-in-denial and/or goth bashing is so 90s. ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
jay
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

An interst in progressive, adventurous and non-mainstream musics should not be scoffed at.
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

Badlander
Overbomber

jay wrote:An interst in progressive, adventurous and non-mainstream musics should not be scoffed at.
If that's how you define goth, then fine. But I have a tendency to think this is an overoptimistic depiction of reality.
And it's true that goth-bashing for the sake of itself is stupid and terribly childish. Live and let die. :von:
Last edited by Badlander on 02 Jun 2006, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
jay
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Well I have no definition for goth as I don't listen to it but I certainly don't take the mickey out of other peoples taste
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

Badlander
Overbomber

jay wrote:Well I have no definition for goth as I don't listen to it but I certainly don't take the mickey out of other peoples taste
:notworthy: :wink: :D

I have no definition of goth either, even if I've listened to what some people would call goth stuff for years. Almost exclusively when I was 16-19, much, much less so now.
kazamel
Amphetamine Filth

Muppet wrote:And Mourning Sun deserves a mention for being possibly the best comeback album of all time...
i don't totally agree with you on this one, but if you like it:

Saturday 28th October 2006

FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM
+ 3 bands tbc

Jeugdcentrum - Waregem (Belgium)
www.purplemoon.be
I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven. Can you hear it? It's like when you put your head to the grass and you can hear the growin' and you can hear the insects.