13 Years

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Cheque's in the post, Wild Bill.
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I can only accept credit card skims and PIN numbers,sorry.
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
Mokarran
Road Kill

I absolutely agree with Billy re the uselessness of live bootlegs, but I'm not convinced Von is gigging solely for the money. Seriously, has he ever said owt to indicate he's playing sets just to pay off tax? The lack of a bassist does suggest a certain stinginess, I admit...but that's quite a supposition to make.

Sloughing his way around the world playing small to mid-sized venues suggests a man with a degree of fondness for his fanbase, does it not? If he were simply out to make money, he could probably fill out bigger barns by announcing a greatest hits package, inviting Wayne to do a solo acoustic spot (!) and releasing the proverbial box set alongside the newish stuff.

Sure, he's dismissive about goths and insists on playing more than a reasonable share of the 'difficult new material', but when the fcuk were the Sisters ever supposed to be easy? From what I can see, he makes life deliberately difficult for himself through his decisions, but he seems to think it's important to do things his way, and I can dig that. For now.

Mokarran
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

He's dismissive about goths and insists on playing more than a reasonable share of the 'difficult new material'
I think he wants to have his cake and eat it too. And why shouldn't he, it's worked for the last ten years. Perhaps he hates music and is going through the motions for the cash, but hey, it's a square deal. We get gigs, he gets money. The only people annoyed are those looking for a belief system as well as a beat.

That said, the fact that he plays so much music that turns off the casual fan (heavier in tone, almost impossible to access unless you are a net nerd) is interesting. Maybe he's only recently given up hope.

Either way, he doesn't care. Really, we should get over it - he really doesn't care what any of us think. If he did, he could have product out easily - we know that because so much of it is played live. So he doesn't care.
Do I drive or am I driven?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I don't really agree that live bootlegs are "useless" per se; they serve as a document of the concert if nothing else. And some of them are damn fine to listen to. They have the effect of making any hypothetical "live album" release less likely I suppose, but I don't think that was ever going to happen anyway.

If you're saying that it would make a lot more money than what he's currently doing, that would perhaps suggest that a greatest hits package, inviting Wayne to do a solo acoustic spot (!) and releasing the proverbial box set is what the fans do want... ;) Of course we'd all scream "sell-out" on here, but do I suspect it would be the "commercially sensible" thing to do. But I think it even more unlikely than a live album.

From more recent interviews, his attitude to goths seems to be less directly confrontational than it was IIRC. But then a lot of us betray a similar attitude IMO. I know I'm certainly guilty of p!ss-taking of some goths even when I'm (ugh it hurts to type it ;)) a goth myself.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

I've just been for a spin up to that website, and noticed that it quite prominently features the words:
You're welcome.
They've been there for a long time, but perhaps they are pertinent to my argument above. There's been a transaction - we asked for product, they asked for cash, we handed over some cash, the product was handed across the counter in the form of gig tickets and some old albums from the 1980s - and we were told we're welcome.

Fair enough.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

None of us can know (or even particularly guess at) what motivates him these days; but I think he still tours because he enjoys it, he can still get people to come to the shows, he has some fun, hangs around with the crew, whatever, but I would guess that it's not beyond the realms of possibility that part of the reason there's no new release is that he's largely lost interest in the recording side of being in a band. Not that he doesn't care at all, but he doesn't care enough to put himself through the record-company bullsh!t and self-promotion necessary to launch a new record.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

I think Markfiend is right - we can't know what's in his shiny bald head, but the premise outlined above seems very likely.
Badlander
Overbomber

markfiend wrote: From more recent interviews, his attitude to goths seems to be less directly confrontational than it was IIRC. But then a lot of us betray a similar attitude IMO. I know I'm certainly guilty of p!ss-taking of some goths even when I'm (ugh it hurts to type it ;)) a goth myself.
Maybe it's also that goth is no longer what it used to be. Do the young latex-clad SM goths care so much about the Girls ? They're still regarded somehow as the Godfathers of goth, but are they still major players, at a time when anything slightly dark-ish (electro, doom, black metal...) is called goth ?
Back when the Girls were big (at least in terms of sale) there was a us-against-the-goth-world kind of feeling to it, but now it would just be grumpy-old-man-from-dinosaur-band hates the goths. In other words, does it still make sense to make fun of the goths when few people care ?
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Badlander
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Not that he doesn't care at all, but he doesn't care enough to put himself through the record-company bullsh!t and self-promotion necessary to launch a new record.
You're probably right. At the Luxembourg show, Paul told me that he'd had a chat with Von, and that he'd said that he had two whole shelves of new songs completely finished. But he couldn't see the point in releasing them. I know it's sad, but I can't help thinking it makes sense from an artist's point of view.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

Paul told me that he'd had a chat with Von, and that he'd said that he had two whole shelves of new songs completely finished. But he couldn't see the point in releasing them. I know it's sad, but I can't help thinking it makes sense from an artist's point of view.
Well, I think that's actually rather good news, if true, as they might get released for the one of the main reasons that artists create art - for other people to enjoy.
Mokarran
Road Kill

I reckon he'd do okay if he put out a CD - as the live shows have demonstrated, there are sisters fans everywhere, and he's won a lot of new friends on this tour.

Markfiend - my point was simply that Von chooses not to go down the most obviously commercial/exploitative path, so money cannot be his sole motivation. Can it?

'Goth - a new definition'. Sounds like an interesting thread. Who wants to go first?

Mokarran
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Mokarran wrote:'Goth - a new definition'. Sounds like an interesting thread. Who wants to go first?
"If Sisters members/fans automatically consider the band to be crap and a ripoff, then the band is goth."
aims
Overbomber

:roll:

Essay time. You have been warned :von:
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

Motz wrote::roll:

Essay time. You have been warned :von:

Essay time > Motz, I didn't know you spoke spanish. :eek:
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
aims
Overbomber

Nah, it's French ;)
mh
Above the Chemist

Mokarran wrote:From what I can see, he makes life deliberately difficult for himself through his decisions
That's closer to the truth than a lot of folks may realise. He's said as much, in the very same words, in interviews in the past.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Badlander wrote:
You're probably right. At the Luxembourg show, Paul told me that he'd had a chat with Von, and that he'd said that he had two whole shelves of new songs completely finished. But he couldn't see the point in releasing them. I know it's sad, but I can't help thinking it makes sense from an artist's point of view.
I'd be inclined to agree there Badlander. With the ammount of effort that Von puts into the lyrical structure to get them to work on multiple levels and finding the right vehicle for said lyrics, it's hardly surprising that the exaspiration and frustration he feels when whatever he does gets hopelessly (deliberately in some pondlife cases) misinterpreted. The best examples of that I can think of are from Marian, which is about the death of the individual within social conformity: "In a sea of faces, in a sea of doubt...In the wake of the ship of fools..." and also the compete misunderstanding of the use of the word "grave" (in this case meaning "serious" rather than where one gets put after death) and in Alice: "Pass the crystal, spread the tarot..." the casually stupid ignore the next line; "In illusion comfort lies." I can remember reading several interviews with him where he decried the death of understanding of what a metaphor is and how it's used. A view shared by Lenard Cohen (interview in an issue of UTR, can't remember which one).

So it's hardly surprising he no longer wishes to cast pearls before swine in a recorded format, then have to justify what he does and how he does it, as well as having to put up with asinine and purile questions from pondlife. If memory serves, he actually walked out on one interviewer when she opened proceedings with "So, Prince of Darkness..." Not once, but twice and he left her in ribbons.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Fair enough Syberberg but just 'cause you're a great lyricist disnae mean you can vanish up yer own jacksie :innocent:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
mh
Above the Chemist

Syberberg wrote:Not once, but twice and he left her in ribbons.
Did she look good? ;D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

weebleswobble wrote:Fair enough Syberberg but just 'cause you're a great lyricist disnae mean you can vanish up yer own jacksie :innocent:
A wonderful 'nail/head' interface Stephen :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
canon docre
Overbomber

markfiend wrote: From more recent interviews, his attitude to goths seems to be less directly confrontational than it was IIRC.
.. more a case of adjusting to reality? What does he see when looking into his audience? He doesnt see a pop crowd, he might see a bit of a rock crowd, but dominately he sees a goth crowd. If they wouldnt still believe in him and buy concert tickets, no one would. It's easy to be arrogant towards your audience when you're young and have the prospect of a bright future as a major rock artist. But times got sour....
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
James Blast
Banned

canon docre wrote:What does he see when looking into his audience?
Balding old fat blokes, Specky bastards and Ginger nuts! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Pat
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
Balding old fat blokes, Specky bastards and Ginger nuts! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Is that you,me and Keith :lol: :lol:
canon docre
Overbomber

Pat wrote:
James Blast wrote:
Is that you,me and Keith :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy: 8)
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.