Never Land (A Fragment?) [Reissue] - Comments, etc

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

finally got to hear the gem. f**king amazing :notworthy:
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

Ozpat wrote:Never Land (full lenght) :notworthy: :notworthy:

Put it on your setlist Von! :D
With an entire set being around 75/80 minutes, it'll never happen. Which is a shame as the short version doesn't do the song justice.
On the other hand, the brain of an idiot seldom weighs more than 23oz - Gray's Anatomy
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Sounds like this one is worth buying for Never Land alone.

Ironic to think AE was once in negotiations to remove Torch and Colours
from the CD as they were only intended as a limited promo and not as
part of the album.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

von likes records and loathes CDs it would appear, which may be why he wanted the CD to reflect what was on the record? Understandable but hardly fair to those who would pay more for the CD than the record, in those days anyway.
On the other hand, the brain of an idiot seldom weighs more than 23oz - Gray's Anatomy
Badlander
Overbomber

Erudite wrote: Ironic to think AE was once in negotiations to remove Torch and Colours
from the CD as they were only intended as a limited promo and not as
part of the album.
I personally think the album is better off without those two, it's more consistent. They're okay but I prefer to think of them as bonus tracks only.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Badlander wrote: They're okay but I prefer to think of them as bonus tracks only.
and that's what they are....
"as we walk on the floodland"
mh
Above the Chemist

But switch the running order so it goes:

Dominion
Mother Russia
Flood I
Lucretia
Torch
Colours
This Corrosion
Flood II
Driven Like The Snow
Never Land (whichever you prefer)

...and it all makes sense!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

i suppose it's fair to say that my reaction to Never Land (full length) was even stronger than my reaction to SKOS (early).

The song to listen to if i were to slice my wrists. i got extremely romantic, almost irresistable, visions about that while i was listening to it.

i suppose i won't dare to listen to it at all as long as i wanna stay alive.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
James Blast
Banned

Having lived with it for nigh on two weeks now, I withdraw my initial comments. I knew I was daft to post such a knee-jerk reaction, but it is my favourite Sisters song and I waited so long for that moment.

The full length version is a masterpiece, lyrically and aurally, their finest IMO.

and now for another rash comment I'll nae doubt regret...

They shall never better it.

thank you
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Oh yes.
bismarck

James Blast wrote: The full length version is a masterpiece, lyrically and aurally, their finest IMO.

I must agree with you there. It's excellent. The lyrics are so evocative, really very beautiful.
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

RetroGoth wrote:

With an entire set being around 75/80 minutes, it'll never happen.
I wouldn't bet on it. I'm sure Von would quite happily fill the entire set with an 80-minute version of Never Land if the mood took him. :lol:
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Having lived with it for nigh on two weeks now, I withdraw my initial comments. I knew I was daft to post such a knee-jerk reaction, but it is my favourite Sisters song and I waited so long for that moment.

The full length version is a masterpiece, lyrically and aurally, their finest IMO.

and now for another rash comment I'll nae doubt regret...

They shall never better it.

thank you
Glad it grew on you James. :D And isn't Eldritch's vocal on this song completely and utterly stunning!!!
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

It is.
James Blast
Banned

Andrew S wrote:
RetroGoth wrote:

With an entire set being around 75/80 minutes, it'll never happen.
I wouldn't bet on it. I'm sure Von would quite happily fill the entire set with an 80-minute version of Never Land if the mood took him. :lol:
Get Thee behind me Satan! :evil:

Even I would fly to Moscow for Never Land (the mini opera). :lol: :lol: :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
_emma_
Overbomber

With the comments above, I decided to play it again, and I got very romantic too (although the thoughts I got didn't include cutting my wrists, oh no no no :oops: ), I was alone in this room and it sounded so good I had to turn up the volume and close the door... Then the door opens, my workmate enters and says: Hi, what gloomy dirge are you listening to, turn it off or you'll scare the customers away!
:|
I cannot, I just can not understand the mind of such a person. Not that I care, of course. I'll play it loud again in the car on my way home.
Badlander
Overbomber

James Blast wrote: Even I would fly to Moscow for Never Land (the mini opera). :lol: :lol: :lol:
How about Never land (a 6-hour Wagnerian epic) ? ;D
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

I wonder how long Neverland would have been if Jim Steinman produced it - or the whole album for that matter? Like others, I like to listen to it on repeat as well.
Deviate_Love
Road Kill

Never Land f**king rules......it FINALLY makes sense now...... now where are my drugs????*grins* Amphs are BAD...amphs are BAD.....but then..I guess a LITTLE snort won't hurt....;-)
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I'm not sure if this is covered elsewhere, if so apologies. But the non bonus tracks on the reissue of Floodland do not sound as good to me as they are on the original CD. They sound compressed and lack some of the depth and majesty..
Whereas th FALAA re-issueis a superior mix to the 1992 CD and the Vision Thing reissue sounds more rounded. The Floodland reissue sounds inferior - is it just me or have others noticed?
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

million voices wrote:I'm not sure if this is covered elsewhere, if so apologies. But the non bonus tracks on the reissue of Floodland do not sound as good to me as they are on the original CD. They sound compressed and lack some of the depth and majesty..
Whereas th FALAA re-issueis a superior mix to the 1992 CD and the Vision Thing reissue sounds more rounded. The Floodland reissue sounds inferior - is it just me or have others noticed?
Vision Thing does sound a lot better, I agree with you there. Then again, it depends on what they were played back on.
wild bill buttock

Heard the full version of Neverland last night(Thanks Mr Blast).It knocked me bandy but even to my untrained ear 'oles the drums sound a bit weak compared with the version on floodland.
Is John Bonham still dead BTW?
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
James Blast
Banned

handle it Bill it really is a grower

the extra words are worth the price of admission alone
~ Peter Steele
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

[quote="James Blast"]handle it [b]Bill[/b] it really is a grower

[size=9]the extra words are worth the price of admission alone[/size][/quote]
Seconded :)
mh
Above the Chemist

RetroGoth wrote:
James Blast wrote:handle it Bill it really is a grower

the extra words are worth the price of admission alone
Seconded :)
Thirded even. :notworthy:

When the extra percussion kicks in towards the end, I defy your mind not to go "whoooooooshhhhhh".
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.