bands, albums, books etc... that are underrated

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

I didn't believe the hype when Suede first started out, thought they looked daft and The Drowners an extremely naff tune. By the time of Metal Mickey, I was hooked, really hooked. Bought all the CD singles, videos albums. Some of their finest work can be found on their B-sides (Bentswood Boys, Whipsnade, Killing of a Flashboy, Sam, Europe is our Playground). I think they broke up maybe one album too late and sadly The Tears just didn't rekindle that original spark.
I'd still say Dog Man Star was their peak.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
bushman*pm
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

smiscandlon wrote:
King of Byblos wrote:A Touch of Zen 1969 China
I'm a big Hong Kong / Chinese film nut, but I found that a bit boring last time I watched it. That was a few years ago though so it may be time to give it another chance. I do agree that Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is overrated.
King of Byblos wrote:Dark City - top film!
Haven't seen that one for a few years either, but I do remember enjoying it. :notworthy:
there's a Vietnamese film called 'Oldboy'
ignore me if you know this one but its about a guy who is kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years in a flat. suddenley he is released and given a mobile phone and only 7 days to work out why!
the twists at the end were sooooo far off my radar it so tottally blew me away!
LAND ROVER: THE BEAST FOUR BY FOUR BY FEAR! KICKS THE ARSE OFF RICEBURNERS!
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

radiojamaica wrote:
Ahráyeph wrote:
King of Byblos wrote: bollox CD only, serves me right for being a vinyl whore :cry: )
If you'd still like to have 'em - on CD- R that is (probably even worse to you, but still ;)), just pm me. Lots of good choons there, especially a very subdued but disturbing original called 'Pictures of a Bleeding Boy'...
Yeah, the God Machine are great!
Do you have any live recordings perchance Raf? I have been on the lookout for those for years and couldn't find anything anywhere. Untill the mighty Z dug one up and presented it to me... Majesty :notworthy: But there are more boots out there, no doubt about it 8)

Mista Blast supplied me with the Home cdm on cdr. :notworthy: I had the 12" already, but the Bauhaus cover was something I couldn't let alone :wink:
I have some assorted live recordings, but no full gig, sadly. A VERY good live version of 'Home' recorded by the Beeb at - presumably - Glastonbury. I used to have a recording of 'Hypocrite' but it got lost, sadly :(. I do have a good selection of Sophia stuff, even the latest Brussels gig, in which you can clearly hear Robin revisiting his TGM roots in some songs. And why am I not surprised that it was Brother Blast who supplied you with the 'Home' MCD? The man does have a great taste in music indeed! :notworthy:
Last edited by Ahráyeph on 09 Jan 2007, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Aha! I forgot! The Wicker Man is a vastly underrated film!
boudicca
Sister Midnight

James Blast wrote:I didn't believe the hype when Suede first started out, thought they looked daft
When I first saw Brett Anderson, as a hormonally charged 11 year old, the word "daft" was not what immediately sprang to mind... :innocent: :kiss:

Got a bit freaked out when he got all tanned and started wearing jeans with sandals though. Still, those can be removed... :twisted:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
James Blast
Banned

... while I'm on one

Mansun! Ok they sold a few singles and albums, but were they critically acclaimed?
I think not!

A fantastic guitar based English rock band.
Go listen to She Makes Me Bleed, Wide Open Space, Legacy, Being a Girl.... ough! the list is near endless. :evil:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

James Blast wrote:... while I'm on one

Mansun! Ok they sold a few singles and albums, but were they critically acclaimed?
I think not!

A fantastic guitar based English rock band.
Go listen to She Makes Me Bleed, Wide Open Space, Legacy, Being a Girl.... ough! the list is near endless. :evil:
Critically acclaimed, but thankfully ignored! :innocent: ;D

Sorry James but I just could not stand them! :|

Flatback Four, I've got a copy of a rough video edit that was played on MTV's 120 Minutes and they did a split 7" EP with The Thrush Puppies. I thought they had a lot of potential, but then so had the Sinclair C5 :roll:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

Big Si wrote:I thought they had a lot of potential, but then so had the Sinclair C5 :roll:
M'case rests m'lud.

Yir no longer a Fud, yir a complete and utter 'Erse!
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

James Blast wrote:
Big Si wrote:I thought they had a lot of potential, but then so had the Sinclair C5 :roll:
M'case rests m'lud.

Yir no longer a Fud, yir a complete and utter 'Erse!
Mansun were still sh!te though! :twisted:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

Big Si wrote:Mansun were still sh!te though! :twisted:
Skollob!
She Makes My Nose Bleed, is a work of genius, as is Wide Open Space, has thee nae mind?

Ya Tit! :evil:
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

James Blast wrote:
Big Si wrote:Mansun were still sh!te though! :twisted:
Skollob!
She Makes My Nose Bleed, is a work of genius, as is Wide Open Space, has thee nae mind?

Ya Tit! :evil:
Hated the guys whiney voice, on those 2 tracks especially.... :twisted: :urff:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
smiscandlon
Overbomber

bushman*pm wrote:there's a Vietnamese film called 'Oldboy'
ignore me if you know this one but its about a guy who is kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years in a flat. suddenley he is released and given a mobile phone and only 7 days to work out why!
Have that on DVD but haven't got round to watching it yet. The guy eats a live octopus, right? :eek: :urff:
анархия
James Blast
Banned

Mansun's Attack of the Grey Lantern is one of my all time favourite albums.
I really must enlighten your big sorry ears. :|
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

James Blast wrote:Mansun's Attack of the Grey Lantern is one of my all time favourite albums.
Next! Please! :|

But for those who are interested - http://www.mansun.co.uk/soundclips/index.html

I did give them a chance at the time James, but it's a no from me i'm afraid. Next you'll be telling me you liked Menswear :eek:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
bushman*pm

smiscandlon wrote:
bushman*pm wrote:there's a Vietnamese film called 'Oldboy'
Have that on DVD but haven't got round to watching it yet. The guy eats a live octopus, right? :eek: :urff:
dont quite remember that bit but its certainly quite an excellent filum!
James Blast
Banned

Big Si wrote:I did give them a chance at the time James, but it's a no from me i'm afraid. Next you'll be telling me you liked Menswear :eek:
fairy 'nuff

and Menswear (well even the name left me cold, I kept having visions of Mr. Humphreys!) apart from a decent Wire soundalike, I think not :cry:
~ Peter Steele
bushman*pm

I kept having visions of Mr. Humphreys!

ru3 mrjb?
:lol:
Badlander
Overbomber

smiscandlon wrote: Have that on DVD but haven't got round to watching it yet. The guy eats a live octopus, right? :eek: :urff:
Yup. But that's in no way the most disturbing part of the movie. :urff:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Silver_Owl
The Don

Badlander wrote:
smiscandlon wrote: Have that on DVD but haven't got round to watching it yet. The guy eats a live octopus, right? :eek: :urff:
It is fairly disturbing though. :urff:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

James Blast wrote:Mansun's Attack of the Grey Lantern is one of my all time favourite albums.
I listened to that incessantly when it came out, I think I was about 12 or 13. Then I "went off" them (as happened far more frequently in those days).

They did have some very good songs, now that I remember - but there was an element of "who tightened the nipple clamps?" to that guy's singing, as I seem to remember the NME putting it. If it wasn't for his vocals I'd probably still listen to them.

Stripper Vicar! :innocent:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
King of Byblos
Amphetamine Filth

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Badlander wrote:
i wish i had stopped watching it about 10 mintues from the end...not that it isn't amazing but the blissful ignorance would be as great.
cos it does hit hard and then twists the knife again :twisted:
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas – only I don't exactly know what they are!"
King of Byblos
Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:I didn't believe the hype when Suede first started out, thought they looked daft and The Drowners an extremely naff tune. By the time of Metal Mickey, I was hooked, really hooked. Bought all the CD singles, videos albums. Some of their finest work can be found on their B-sides (Bentswood Boys, Whipsnade, Killing of a Flashboy, Sam, Europe is our Playground). I think they broke up maybe one album too late and sadly The Tears just didn't rekindle that original spark.
I'd still say Dog Man Star was their peak.
..'big time' :cry:

Animal Nitrate lives in my DJ box tho and always gets a reaction :notworthy:
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas – only I don't exactly know what they are!"
bushman*pm

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Badlander wrote:
like nothing in comparison to the twist at the end!
:urff: :urff: :urff:
smiscandlon
Overbomber

bushman*pm wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:
Badlander wrote: Yup. But that's in no way the most disturbing part of the movie. :urff:
like nothing in comparison to the twist at the end!
:urff: :urff: :urff:
Wow. Six :urff: 's so far ... I really must watch this film.
анархия
WolfLover
Road Kill

Excellent bands and movies I love but never appear in any of those albums or movies of all time lists which is real shame and it annoys me no end :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Fields of the Nephlim
The Cult
Anathema
Tristania
Type O Negative
Paradise Lost
Bathory
Arcturus
To/Die/For
Tiamat
In The Woods...
Amorphis