Who do you listen to that never gets mentioned on Heartland?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:file under ~ progressive rock
Slightly more metal than rock, if there is such a distinction. But you can definitely hear the prog influences (especially Rush, I thought).
анархия
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

James Blast
Banned

still don't get it Dave sorry
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
sultan2075
Overbomber

Another group I've recently discovered is Dire Straits. As a young punk rocker I never would have listened to them, but that first LP (which is all I've heard) is pretty damn good. And I'm also a huge-ish fan of Shriekback, though I'm not alone in that here. I'm probably alone in championing The Immortal Lee County Killers. Oh, and a Japanese band called King Brothers. If they happen to play in your town (assuming they're even together anymore), see them--one of the best shows I've ever seen, played about 30 minutes after they landed at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport on borrowed equipment. Amazing. Words fail me, I've never seen anything like it.

I am confident, however, that I am the only Heartlander who has Ideas Are Bulletproof by The Pist on vinyl. It's good old fashioned punk rock from sometime in the 90's. Fun stuff.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I still love "Sultans of Swing" and play it quite often... Incredibly uncool, but I don't care. ;D
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
sultan2075
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:I still love "Sultans of Swing" and play it quite often... Incredibly uncool, but I don't care. ;D
No way, completely cool. I'd never heard the song until yesterday. This first record, at least, is fan-tastic. Oddly enough, the sultan2075 moniker came from a gal who was a huge Dire Straits fan. I've used it for years, yet I'd never heard anything except Money for Nothing until just the other day. I'm really impressed with them.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

sultan2075 wrote:
SINsister wrote:I still love "Sultans of Swing" and play it quite often... Incredibly uncool, but I don't care. ;D
No way, completely cool. I'd never heard the song until yesterday.
:eek: Holy crap, man. It's a nostalgic staple of my childhood!
scotty
Overbomber

The Secret Machines

Pere Ubu

Dexys Midnight Runners (Searching for the Young Soul Rebels)

LOUD

Tiny Dancers
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
limur
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

sultan2075 wrote:Dire Straits
Try "Making Movies". :notworthy:

Very uncool, but very good.

Rev Hammer, Bleeding Hearts, SLF, Birdland, Cheap Trick, Tha Petrol Emotion, VU, Pixies, Furniture, The Psychedelic Furs, Marillion, Eastfield, Levellers, 3 Daft Monkeys, Lone Justice, MBV, Octavia Sperati, The Waterboys, Balaam and the Angel, Beach Boys, Buzzcocks, ELO, Dinosaur Jr, Flaming Lips, Wedding Present...

I could go on :innocent:
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
aims
Overbomber

Radiohead, The Psychedelic Furs and...

MC Devvo.

:innocent:
James Blast
Banned

Dear Gawd Mike that was awful :(
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

limur wrote:Try "Making Movies". :notworthy:
...still love "Skateaway"...
sultan2075
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:
No way, completely cool. I'd never heard the song until yesterday.
:eek: Holy crap, man. It's a nostalgic staple of my childhood!
I never heard much of the mainstream music of the 70's and 80's until adulthood (unless you count the Johnny Cash Greatest Hits cassette that my parents had--everyday, when I came home from school, I would lay down in front of the speakers of their stereo and listen to it. Eventually, it broke :( ). When I was 9 or 10 someone gave me a tape with the Misfits on one side and the Exploited on the other. It was all downhill from there. I lived right outside NYC at the time, so a lot of my formative years were spent listening to local punk, hardcore and crossover stuff. Most of which is pretty bad in retrospect :)

I will try more Dire Straits.
--
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Dire Straits is most definately a no-no :eek: :urff:

They played that during PE classes at school => Traumatised :urff: :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
boudicca
Sister Midnight

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That truly is bizarre!
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
sultan2075
Overbomber

oops :oops:
--
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

sultan2075 wrote:I never heard much of the mainstream music of the 70's and 80's until adulthood (unless you count the Johnny Cash Greatest Hits cassette that my parents had--everyday, when I came home from school, I would lay down in front of the speakers of their stereo and listen to it. Eventually, it broke :( ). When I was 9 or 10 someone gave me a tape with the Misfits on one side and the Exploited on the other. It was all downhill from there. I lived right outside NYC at the time, so a lot of my formative years were spent listening to local punk, hardcore and crossover stuff. Most of which is pretty bad in retrospect :)

I will try more Dire Straits.
...whereas, my childhood was completely saturated with it (largely detrimentally, I might add), because I grew up in small towns all over CT. Commercial radio in CT back then was almost solely about Led Zep, The Doors, The Who, Yes, the Rolling Stones, etc. I grew to absolutely loathe all of those bands, as a result - it's only been in the last 5-10 years or so that I've begun to have any appreciation whatsoever for any of the music from that era. One strange bit of enlightenment occurred in '79, though, when one of the major pop stations played Gary Numan's "Cars" - serious turning point in my impressionable young life! ;D

As for music at home, my mom was from a family of singers (some professional), and always had something going on the stereo, to which she'd inevitably be singing along (;D); because of her, I was exposed to, and gained a great appreciation for, Elton John, Roberta Flack, Gladys Knight, Carole King, Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding, and the like at a very early age...
limur
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

SINsister wrote:I grew to absolutely loathe all of those bands, as a result - it's only been in the last 5-10 years or so that I've begun to have any appreciation whatsoever for any of the music from that era
I could've written that :eek:
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
James Blast
Banned

no dissin Led Zeppelin or The Who please
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

OR WOT?
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
James Blast
Banned

I will jag you in the eye!
~ Peter Steele
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Imagine, if you will, being trapped in the family car on the way to the beach...a long, long drive, hotter than hell with no A/C, stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic for much of the trip. A captive audience, forced to listen to the endlessly-repetitive, grating, monotonous sounds of "Light My Fire" and its ilk... That stuff really made me want to go play in traffic. Thankfully, though, there was *some* respite in those days, in the form of stuff from the likes of Cheap Trick, Heart, Dire Straits, Gerry Rafferty, and, of course, Pink Floyd (:notworthy:). I think I'd have lost my mind without the 'Floyd... At any rate, MTV came along in the summer of '81, and after my family got cable TV, I rarely listened to the radio again.
James Blast
Banned

I still listen to way more radio than I watch telly, thing is, I get the radio for free and I'm paying about thirty quid a month for swathes of pish and The Simpsons and some Discovery channels. I probably could watch my video collection for the next three years and still not get to the end of it.

Am I daft?
~ Peter Steele
smiscandlon
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:I still listen to way more radio than I watch telly, thing is, I get the radio for free and I'm paying about thirty quid a month for swathes of pish and The Simpsons and some Discovery channels. I probably could watch my video collection for the next three years and still not get to the end of it.
I listen to more "radio" on the TV now (through my digital box) than I ever used to listen to on the radio! :eek:
анархия
Dr. Moody
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

This could probably go in sht but seeing as current 93 got mentioned....
this is the flyer for the painting show I'm in in Berlin next month
and along with a few other artists David Tibet is showing in it too :!:
woohoo ;D