Who is sensitive about TSOM being labelled a 'goth' band?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
ff
Road Kill

This girlsa can be "goth" if litlle change music/words and clothes :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W14HlKuxjco

good song in the fact if you look if you have some expierence with some music programs :)
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

When I think of the word "gothic" the image I get is that of pretentious people in pirate shirts and pancake mix. Alternately, I imagine a large-type female in fishnets, with blue streaks in her hair, clearly not in possession of the kind of figure for which BDSM couture was envisioned for.

None of that has anything to do with the types of music I enjoy, which are wide and varied. The only problem I have with labels is when they are associated with myself based on stereotypes. I don't wear PVC pants on the weekend. Come to think of it, not during the weekdays either.

As far as the "scene" - there are conformists in all walks of life. I just find it funny when people make such a point of being non-conformists when the reality is, they're merely conforming to a different social clique.

White Like Jesus wrote:Right before you enter the forums, it says "The Sisters Of Mercy are a rock/pop/electronic" band (or something to that effect). I know of no band that walks around and says things like, "We're a goth band. We're goths. We play gothic music." However, do I go to goth clubs? Yes. Do I know people who wear black clothing and listen to TSOM? Yes. Do they get played at goth clubs? Yes. Is their music dark? Is it angsty?

I think if you are going to call them goth, you might as well admit that there are a ton of bands with different styles that all fall under the Gothic Umbrella. Anything from The Cure, Sisters, to some punk, to Tool or NIN, some metal, hell, I've even heard Johnny Cash at the goth bar. He's the man in black, isn't he?

I personally have no problem with the label. It's vague, if anything, but I take no condescension from it.