So I'm sitting through 'Vision Thing' for the first time...

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
BeeBeeOh
Amphetamine Filth

Andrei wrote: I agree almost word for word, Jeremiah. I love the title track, I love Ribbons, Something Fast, and I'd say "More" is one of my favorite songs by them, by I agree that all the other songs are more or less "okay". I can understand why some people may not be impressed with it, as it's- as one friend said- a 3-star album done by a band whose other albums are 5-stars.

EDIT: It's interesting to see a universal dislike of WYDSM; I've never particularly disliked the song, but now that you mention it, I have always felt indifferent to the song and often find it skippable.
Those are my favs too. Is it wrong to like More? I remember it was highly popular and commercial back in the day, but my oh my, that's a good song. Something Fast is just beautiful, and Ribbons is perfect in every ways.
WYDSM is dreadful. Why did he even bother?

I was wondering how Andrew choses his colaborators. I'm thinking of vocalists here - like Maggy Reilly in this case. Do you know? Are they suggested to him by somebody or he hears them on the radio, etc?
I have just as much of a dark side as the next person.
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

Dark wrote:The best song is WYDSM,
I never get that. WYDSM is actually the WORST song on the album, imho.
One of the dullest songs ever by the Sisters.

From VT, the title track and Ribbons are my favorites. More is good, but way too long.
Same problem as the album version of This Corrosion.

If :von: would ever release a new Sisters album (which he won't),
it would probably sound most like VT, but then less rocking.
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
sisterstekland
Slight Overbomber

So I'm sitting through 'Vision Thing' for the first time...
Good choice :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :von:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

WYDSM is pants

"more" should be the 7" version

"dr jeep" should be the 12"

everything else is fabulous

;D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
originalgoth
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm still undecided as to wheather VT was aimed at appeasing the American market or if it was a pop at America & it's culture..........

It's got everything that would appeal to American rock fans - the guitars, all the references to American icons (Jeep, guns).

Then on the other hand, Dr Jeep sounds like it's aimed at all the bad things in America that Von dislikes. Vision Thing also takes a pop at American culture.

Just my thought on it.
And I ride down the Highway 101
By the side of the ocean, headed for Sunset

Black Planet according to originalGoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYeYgNIntQ
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

originalgoth wrote:I'm still undecided as to wheather VT was aimed at appeasing the American market or if it was a pop at America & it's culture..........

It's got everything that would appeal to American rock fans - the guitars, all the references to American icons (Jeep, guns).

Then on the other hand, Dr Jeep sounds like it's aimed at all the bad things in America that Von dislikes. Vision Thing also takes a pop at American culture.

Just my thought on it.
If I'm not imagining or too confused, they talk about that in particular in the MTV interview by Pip Dann that someone uploaded in 2 or 3 parts on Youtube.
mh
Above the Chemist

originalgoth wrote:I'm still undecided as to wheather VT was aimed at appeasing the American market or if it was a pop at America & it's culture..........
I'd reckon both - a pop at the US wrapped up in a package designed to appeal to them.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:WYDSM is pants

;D
It's a weird song. I like it when it's playing, but it's very forgettable. It's both a good song and a very bland song at the same time. Which, actually, fits quite well with the lyrical theme, come to think of it.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
mh
Above the Chemist

sultan2075 wrote:

;D
It's a weird song. I like it when it's playing, but it's very forgettable. It's both a good song and a very bland song at the same time. Which, actually, fits quite well with the lyrical theme, come to think of it.
I really shouldn't, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feb-wphedSE

:twisted:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
sultan2075
Overbomber

mh wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:

;D
I really shouldn't, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feb-wphedSE

:twisted:
He's always confused me. Does he think he's good? Is there something wrong with him? What's the skinny on this cat?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Machine Regime wrote:Judging from Edritch's work following that album
What work? Surely you jest. <Runs away before this turns into yet another "When is Von gonna release another album?" thread>
James Blast
Banned

When You don't See Me is the one song on that ellpee that has a rush to it.

I have spoken.

cf. Hawkwind in the 70s
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

"The only way to sell more records is to make records that sell, which means cheesy fake Rush-esque guitars."

WTF? Rush has real guitars and are not fake, you'd think mr. Von (know it all ) would know this. Rush Kicks ass!!!. No Drum Machines, or sampled guitars. And they're Canadian. ;D (if that means anything....never mind, but Rush still kicks.!!!!! :notworthy:
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

Vision Thing & Ribbons are both outstanding tracks.

The live version of Ribbons is even better, could be the best thing the Sisters ever did.

Det. Blvd. not quite Train or Lucretia is it?

Something Fast, nice word play but basic musically.

WYDSM, on the face of it a really crap AOR track but after repeated exposure it reveals some classic Sisters qualities. I especially like the "I turned, you couldn't let me move" line as the backing track is stripped to a repetitive bass and drums.

Dr. Jeep see Det. Blvd.

More sounded really good on the BBC world service when I first heard it more than 20 years ago, but it does go on a bit.

I was wrong, great track but do the lyrics need to be sung twice?
sultan2075
Overbomber

Suleiman wrote:
I was wrong, great track but do the lyrics need to be sung twice?
Yes.
--
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

10-E Rabid wrote:"The only way to sell more records is to make records that sell, which means cheesy fake Rush-esque guitars."

WTF? Rush has real guitars and are not fake, you'd think mr. Von (know it all ) would know this. Rush Kicks ass!!!. No Drum Machines, or sampled guitars. And they're Canadian. ;D (if that means anything....never mind, but Rush still kicks.!!!!! :notworthy:
Maybe he means a cheesy, fake copy of Rush's guitar style?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
BeeBeeOh
Amphetamine Filth

Suleiman wrote:Something Fast, nice word play but basic musically.
Sorry about the silly question (English is not my mother tongue), what kind of word play is it?
Petseri
Overbomber

BeeBeeOh wrote:
Sorry about the silly question (English is not my mother tongue), what kind of word play is it?
The threads "Hailing Marys", "something fast", and "Baltimore" may offer you some possibilities. ;D
BeeBeeOh
Amphetamine Filth

Petseri wrote:
BeeBeeOh wrote:
The threads "Hailing Marys", "something fast", and "Baltimore" may offer you some possibilities. ;D
Thanks, I just checked them! ;D