Dominion Mailing List

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Selena
Amphetamine Filth

eotunun wrote:(...)
As it turns out, one can go past the off-topic talk on the forum while on that mailing list one has to dig through all the blurp. Somehow Dominion still belongs to having the full set of channels available, but it's not as handy as the structured and moderated Forum.

That´s the reason why I have never joined Dominion.
Rise891
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Whereas Heartland always stays on topic?
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Rise891 wrote:Whereas Heartland always stays on topic?
Not at all - but there's less 'blurp' (if you ken the difference :wink: ).
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i would disagree actually, but that's part of the joy ;)

hl can go very off topic, but what we don't have is flame wars. our mod team take a very firm hand on controlling that kind of aggravation. it's supposed to be a nice place for everyone to 'hang out', as well as a great information resource.

as i see it, one of the primary differences (and one reason why we are so popular with new-comers) is that heartland serves as a searchable archive of previous discussion

people find the forum while searching google for the sisters because of the vast amount of sisters-related discussion

(in theory at least) these people can then search around the forum and latch on to discussions

mailing lists will never have that kind of archive... even if they do have have a searchable archive, it's all a lot more linear and a lot less easy to navigate your way around for all but the most techie people...

way back when i started hl, dominion was at an all time low. as has been hinted at on this thread, there were dozens of long running flame wars, newbies were greeted with groans and "not again.... RTFM!" responses (ironic, when when "TFM" was impossible to find and nearly as hard to read)

it lacked any real sense of community, other than a small group of people who knew each other from travelling to gigs.

its a lot less like that these days, but the sad part of it is that for most web users now a discussion list conducted via email seems so un-interactive. it lacks all those groovy features you get with 2.0 communities like facebook & myspace - avatars, witty comments on your profile, etc

with a band like the sisters, newcomers are what keeps it fresh and alive. otherwise we all get older and the band eventually runs out of people to play to because we're all married with kids and too much full time responsibility to support the band as much as we'd like

areas of HL are intentionally left to 'wander their course', just as other areas are kept on topic. the beauty of the message board format is that it lets you do that (when its done properly ;))

or something. :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Debi

Quiff Boy wrote:i would disagree actually, but that's part of the joy ;)

hl can go very off topic, but what we don't have is flame wars. our mod team take a very firm hand on controlling that kind of aggravation. it's supposed to be a nice place for everyone to 'hang out', as well as a great information resource.

as i see it, one of the primary differences (and one reason why we are so popular with new-comers) is that heartland serves as a searchable archive of previous discussion

people find the forum while searching google for the sisters because of the vast amount of sisters-related discussion

(in theory at least) these people can then search around the forum and latch on to discussions

mailing lists will never have that kind of archive... even if they do have have a searchable archive, it's all a lot more linear and a lot less easy to navigate your way around for all but the most techie people...

way back when i started hl, dominion was at an all time low. as has been hinted at on this thread, there were dozens of long running flame wars, newbies were greeted with groans and "not again.... RTFM!" responses (ironic, when when "TFM" was impossible to find and nearly as hard to read)

it lacked any real sense of community, other than a small group of people who knew each other from travelling to gigs.

its a lot less like that these days, but the sad part of it is that for most web users now a discussion list conducted via email seems so un-interactive. it lacks all those groovy features you get with 2.0 communities like facebook & myspace - avatars, witty comments on your profile, etc

with a band like the sisters, newcomers are what keeps it fresh and alive. otherwise we all get older and the band eventually runs out of people to play to because we're all married with kids and too much full time responsibility to support the band as much as we'd like

areas of HL are intentionally left to 'wander their course', just as other areas are kept on topic. the beauty of the message board format is that it lets you do that (when its done properly ;))

or something. :lol:
well yes I agree - i barged in out of the blue like and started asking all manner of questions that no doubt had been asked before and then some. i was also allowed to smash a few quotes up. and ask people nosey questions.

not like me then. no, not at all :lol:

but i have been treated with respect and patience and everyones been ever so friendly.

also the other forum where i have been for a few years and was spending a bit of time. my god - all they are doing of late is moaning, moaning and whinging. :roll: :(

i very nearly started a "if you dont like them why don't you F Off" thread but thought better of it :D

so overall i would give this eperience a score of 11/10 easily :notworthy: 8)
Petseri
Overbomber

Rise891 wrote:Whereas Heartland always stays on topic?
Especially here.

I am still at dominion and have been with some interruptions since 1992 or so. It has treated us well, even if not all have treated it well. The media have changed over the years, but for a period that was the best source for Sisters news.

If I run into -bat, I will offer a pint for thanks. :notworthy:
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:i would disagree actually, but that's part of the joy ;)

hl can go very off topic, but what we don't have is flame wars.
Alright then, delete 'blurp' and insert 'spew'. :lol:
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Debi

well well well. what about the latest entry :eek:
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Debi wrote:well well well. what about the latest entry :eek:
Care to expand for those of us who don't prescibe? :eek: :?
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Same fcukwit with whom I had the blowup over his (her?) claim that there had been rumours about Von having a heroin problem going around Heartland. :roll:

Not likely to be missed anywhere... :innocent:
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Debi

silentNate wrote:
Care to expand for those of us who don't prescibe? :eek: :?
well someone just had a huge rant at it would appear the general Dominion folk calling them all sorts of names including see you next tuesdays would you believe. it didnt seem to make much sense and i assume they are not english as it wasn't very coherant. :?
Debi

7anthea7 wrote:
Same fcukwit with whom I had the blowup over his (her?) claim that there had been rumours about Von having a heroin problem going around Heartland. :roll:

oh - was it that "person" - i remember them stating they had heard it here :( but you defending saying you'd not seen anything ever. and i cant say that i have in the brief time i have been rummaging around :roll:

i like the way they then ask to be removed from receiving emails :urff:

i say if you are man enough to be casually casting all sorts of derogatory comments at people whom you don't know then man the f*ck up and stay around for the backlash :innocent:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Debi wrote:
7anthea7 wrote:

oh - was it that "person" - i remember them stating they had heard it here :( but you defending saying you'd not seen anything ever. and i cant say that i have in the brief time i have been rummaging around :roll:

i say if you are man enough to be casually casting all sorts of derogatory comments at people whom you don't know then man the f*ck up and stay around for the backlash :innocent:
...or at least read the faq on how to unsubscribe yourself :roll :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Debi

Quiff Boy wrote:
Debi wrote:
7anthea7 wrote: Same fcukwit with whom I had the blowup over his (her?) claim that there had been rumours about Von having a heroin problem going around Heartland. :roll:

...or at least read the faq on how to unsubscribe yourself :roll :lol:
actually i did think that when i read it. either a lazy person or wrote that there as a pointed remark :urff:
Being645
Intellectual Love God

I don't think it necessary to throw down the gauntlet - and straight afterwards the towel - so very early ... :innocent: :roll:
Debi

Being645 wrote:I don't think it necessary to throw down the gauntlet - and straight afterwards the towel - so very early ... :innocent: :roll:
agree - loser :innocent:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

7anthea7 wrote:Same fcukwit with whom I had the blowup over his (her?) claim that there had been rumours about Von having a heroin problem going around Heartland. :roll:
Actually I do vaguely remember one person, repeat one person, making a (risibly unlikely) claim once on HL about Andrew having an H habit. What's to bet it was this person?

Favourite agent provocateur tactic: plant a fake rumour in one place, and then rail against that rumour elsewhere.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Debi

markfiend wrote:
7anthea7 wrote:Same fcukwit with whom I had the blowup over his (her?) claim that there had been rumours about Von having a heroin problem going around Heartland. :roll:
Actually I do vaguely remember one person, repeat one person, making a (risibly unlikely) claim once on HL about Andrew having an H habit. What's to bet it was this person?

Favourite agent provocateur tactic: plant a fake rumour in one place, and then rail against that rumour elsewhere.
a troll by any other ;D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Indeed.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

Eldritch is having a heroin problem?? :eek:
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
czuczu
Overbomber

Aazhyd wrote:Eldritch is having a heroin problem?? :eek:
& so it begins! :urff:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

*sigh*
—Bertrand Russell
Debi

markfiend wrote:*sigh*
indeedy :urff:
_emma_
Overbomber

No, he has 2 of them: one here, the other on Dominion. :lol: Oh, and the third one in that new song not yet played live. :D
Being645
Intellectual Love God

:urff: ... or was it "heroine" ... ? :roll: :urff: :roll: :urff: ... :urff:

... a problem, however ... :roll: ... or not? :roll:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... black wind come carry me far away ...