sisters logo on front cover of new 'classic rock'

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

i stopped long time ago think that there will be, ever, a new album but now i stopped wondering how it might sound, i'm even afraid of that. gigs are enough to feel disappoint, enough.
Last edited by Bartek on 30 Jul 2009, 22:06, edited 2 times in total.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Very sad thing ... heaven knows what's really going on over there ... :roll:

Wild speculations won't make a difference, that much is for sure.

Then again, it's already close to physical pain to listen to
some of these - not all that bad - recordings of recent concerts ... :roll:

No substitute for some real album, but still - real
... (with everything this might comprise) ...
lachert
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Yir Erse! he's jist a lazy bastard
and most of all, chicken s**t.
long live rock'n'roll
Being645
Wiki Wizard

:lol: ... no wonder ...
DrG
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

greensunsets wrote:The man's a genius; a outlaw in every sense of the word (and that's what makes his charm)
He perfectly understood the flaws of our contemporary subculture and exploits it -and us- brilliantly, thus being able to be famous for not being famous.

The question is not if he needs to release new material, or even if he wants to, but why would he do it or not. And as there is no answer to that, while he seems completely happy with his nowadays experience of so-called freedom, there is no need, for US, to expect any new release.

For further information, I suggest reading Levinas' Totality and Infinity and leave it at that (although doing both is a bit difficult).
That reading suggestion is some heavy shite greensunsets...
and welcome to Heartland. 8)
If anyone is curious about Levinas' Totality and Infinity,
I simply googled and got this...
http://www.angelfire.com/md2/timewarp/levinas.html :eek:
Wrap your head around that people! :lol:
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic
ostir
Road Kill

[quote="greensunsets"] The man's a genius; a outlaw in every sense of the word (and that's what makes his charm)
He perfectly understood the flaws of our contemporary subculture and exploits it -and us- brilliantly, thus being able to be famous for not being famous.

The question is not if he needs to release new material, or even if he wants to, but why would he do it or not. And as there is no answer to that, while he seems completely happy with his nowadays experience of so-called freedom, there is no need, for US, to expect any new release.

For further information, I suggest reading Levinas' Totality and Infinity and leave it at that (although doing both is a bit difficult). [/quote]

Being 20 and with an aspiration to digest Levinas … A difficult task and mentioning Levinas with regard to The Sisters of Mercy or more specifically with regad to A. E. … I see no point in this. However, you may intend to suggest, there are some similarities beteween A. E. and Jews, as E. Levinas is principally a commentator on Talmud.

So let me permit to make an attempt... you may consider A. E.'s perseverance in refusing – however, this only being a thoroughy subjective interpretation of the situation, since for some time it has been obvious that the main object, around which the fascination with The SoM is being constructed, is a void, is actually the obscene side of the common idolatry of pop-, rockstars, which in turn also possesses this moment, but does not display it; subsequently we could consider the idolatry in the case of The SoM a more open one, which avoids the interpelation of its protagonists into dreamers about some fairy tale – to release an album an attribute of his potential characteristic of being loveless, which – should this really be the fact – would draw him nearer to the traditional conceptions of the Jews. (*traditional being not a correct term, because the conception of a Jew underwent serious transformations towads the end of the 19. century, yet the time, the space and the context of this writing do not allow me to go into the details)

Ending with Lavinas's words, referring to the sin of lovelessness:
„But it is hard to admit that one was without love in the past. And yet – love would not be the moving, the gripping, the searing experience that it is if the moved, gripped, seared soul were not conscious of the fact that up to this moment it had not been moved nor gripped. Thus a shock [eine Erschütterung] was necessary before the self could become beloved soul. And the soul is not ashamed of its former self, and that it did not, under its own power, break this spell [diesen Bann] in which it was confines.“

However, everything written above is pure speculation. And, moreover, for further reading – because we (I) are (am) talking philosophy - I recommend Mladen Dolar: A Voice and Nothing More.
lachert
Overbomber

ha, ha. i'll love to talk with you guys but this stupid language barrier stops me ;D
long live rock'n'roll
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

DrG wrote:http://www.angelfire.com/md2/timewarp/levinas.html :eek:
'Exteriority'? Ow, my brain hurts. :urff:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Nadia81
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

The language barrier stopped me too,Lachert :lol:
Dr. Moody

:lol: :lol: @Ostir best first post ever :notworthy: :lol: Welcome to Heartland.
Back in time

Nadia81 wrote:The language barrier stopped me too,Lachert :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy:
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

... welcome ostir ... and thanks for your great post ... :notworthy: ... food for more than only discussion ...
Last edited by Being645 on 31 Jul 2009, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

DrG wrote:http://www.angelfire.com/md2/timewarp/levinas.html :eek:
do we get brownie points for reading it until the end?

(the fact that i have no idea what the essay is trying to achieve is irrelevant)
Being645
Wiki Wizard

ostir wrote: Ending with Lavinas's words, referring to the sin of lovelessness:
„But it is hard to admit that one was without love in the past. And yet – love would not be the moving, the gripping, the searing experience that it is if the moved, gripped, seared soul were not conscious of the fact that up to this moment it had not been moved nor gripped. Thus a shock [eine Erschütterung] was necessary before the self could become beloved soul. And the soul is not ashamed of its former self, and that it did not, under its own power, break this spell [diesen Bann] in which it was confines.“
Having worked through this quote, I'd like to add that
losing one’s ability to love is not as much ashaming as it is painful
and despairing. At times, uncountable attempts to bring about any
sort of improvement are of no avail for a very long time ...
James Blast
Banned

Oh grow up, all of you!

It's game over, smell the roses, try the veal, taste the peppermint and feck off!
we appreciate your custom
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Nadia81
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

:lol: :lol: :lol:

@LouLou -the wikipedia entry is a bit more comprehensible
Being645
Wiki Wizard

James Blast wrote:Oh grow up, all of you!

It's game over, smell the roses, try the veal, taste the peppermint and feck off!
we appreciate your custom
... poor old chap ... :lol:
James Blast
Banned

you really are a DICK!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Wiki Wizard

uhm, no foolings ... :lol:
greensunsets
Road Kill

Oh no I did not mean that !
Mentioning Jewish religion is irrelevant here, as Totality and Infinity can't be seriously considered reaching theology (the "God" point is more similar to Descartes'). After having read almost all Levinas bibliography except what concerns the Talmud (I am not Jew, and I can't read Hebrew either), I was more thinking about the opposition of the sole terms of totality and infinity and the interrelationship built on it.
It may concern AE in various points though all are subject to speculation (the glasses, the strike, the lyrics etc.) which I could explain more accurately if I could write in French though I'll give it a painful shot.

AE made a living out of music by default, he admits he ain't no musician as he is more interested in writing and manipulating language. Language according to Bakhtine in Aesthetics and theory of the novel develops itself and the edge of individual consciousness and societal consciousness hence the power of the word to desincarnate objects by abstracting their image into our mental scheme hence ... poetry. Thus, language is first based in an infinite relationship between individuals (we can't tell the complete meaning of a word which at first is symbolic) although the manner they produce images is total (the word embraces it all) hence the fear of ancient tribes members in pronouncing the real name of subjects as they believed it could drain their soul...

So what, you'll say ? Well, Eldritch's mystique surrounding him comes from his highly symbolic writings and the fact he has achieved to remain a complete mystery thus placing him at some far edge (almost infinite) in his relationship with his audience. This was well thought (he even took the name of "Eldritch") as our nowadays world means everything to be totally embraced (science hegemony melted into technique's maelstrom and the disaster which comes at hand) while our individual self elaborates his own conception of the world according to pure symbolism (the process of Information). Elias Canetti may be wrong in his first phrase of Masse und Macht about the supremacy of the fear of what's unknown, what's unknown in fact excites us to an infinite extend which results may be fear ... or attraction which is biologically explained by ... our primordial brain, the reptile brain which works according to a binary equation : attack or flee. Etc.

Eldritch life has been a perpetual experience of the human complexity. We want him to release a single, an album, something... but that may not seem to fit according to how he has driven us -and himself- so far hence he does not "need" to release anything purposefully. He seems to find himself in a truly enviable position of a man who pulls the strings after having made the randomly default choice of becoming a singer. So what's left to us ? Accept the "infinity" : the fact we can't touch him, because we were never meant to. These aren't my words, these are MC Hammer's ;)

PS : I did not wanted by any mean to look pedantic, and I apologize to all for the poor attempt of translating my thoughts into Enlish. And If anyone is interested in Levinas' philosophy, I recommend to read Ethics and Infinity, it's a short interview which can be understood quite easily.
greensunsets
Road Kill

Oh and thanks for the welcome !
Being645
Wiki Wizard

:) So, welcome again ... ... :D

A first question - have you been to any of the concerts, lately?

If not so, I recommend for example ... :

http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 054#475054

... and forget MC Hammer ... :wink: