FALAA - Cover symbol

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
James Blast
Banned

being in the same age bracket as Mr. E, I know exactly where that could come from and it was the front of the badge, it was the 'hook affair' used to attach the badge through a lapel button hole, they weren't restricted to the Leeds area either
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Nada wrote:
Chairman Bux wrote:Bar: noun

Yes, what about that "bar"? ;)

Let's suppose our moderator's appearance is the hint that a bell rang... who knows.... :eek: so, exercising over Pluto's/ Charon metaphor....
"Pass the crystal, spread the Tarot"... I don't think :von: was ever a fan of astrology
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Mr Thorburn wrote:Im pretty sure I read in an old Sisters fanzine interview that the design was based on the badges that Leeds bus conductors wore in the early/mid 80's.

Presumably Eldritch noticed the logo when he was getting his ticket gripped on the way to a gig/club/heel bar.

APB please - confirmation required from a retired West Yorks bus driver.

Tickets please.
All our clever theories and it comes down to bus spotting! :lol:
Being645
Intellectual Love God

Driving the bus through the eclipse for us ... ;D ... very kind.
Nada
Road Kill

Well... at least you can take both for a trip, can't you? ;D
"For want of a rider the battle was lost."
Being645
Intellectual Love God

... to the light fantastic ... ;D ... hopefully soon again ... :lol:
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

stufarq wrote: All our clever theories and it comes down to bus spotting! :lol:
Well, what about that line from Anaconda about the 'number three' - a reference to the Leeds bus service to the Village Place area?

:wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The number 3 went to Beeston actually. You'd probably get the 50 along Burley Road and cut across Burley Park to Village Place.

:P
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Worse than a trainspotter, he's a busspotter!

:eek:

:P
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

56 and proud ;)
Nationalise the f**king lot.
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I haven't been around in a while and I haven't read the entire thread, so forgive me if I'm being redundant...
‘Walk Away’ was backed by ‘Poison Door’ on the 7� (MR033), with ‘On The Wire’ included as a bonus track on the 12� (MR033T). Eldritch had remixed and extended ‘Train’ and the song, titled ‘Long Train (Amphetamix)’, was offered as a free flexi-disc (SAM218) in the first 3,000 copies of the 12� and 2,000 copies of the 7�. Eldritch again designed the cover but for the first time opted for a strictly graphic approach rather than an appropriated image. The crescent-and-bar graphic was his attempt to design a band logo that would eventually allow the Head and Star graphic to be used solely as a Merciful Release label logo. This attempt was to falter when the band split in 1985, before the new crescent logo had been fully accepted by the public. Eldritch believed that the Head and Star logo had to grace 1987’s ‘This Corrosion’ single to maintain aesthetic continuity after severe lineup changes and an absence of almost three years; the crescent logo was never revived.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Debaser
Overbomber

Casar wrote:On the frontcover there is a symbol, does anybody know exactly what it represents?
Thinking far too deep the lot of yas, it's an aerial shot looking down on a snowman standing on a fence.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

bismarck wrote:I haven't been around in a while and I haven't read the entire thread, so forgive me if I'm being redundant...
‘Walk Away’ was backed by ‘Poison Door’ on the 7� (MR033), with ‘On The Wire’ included as a bonus track on the 12� (MR033T). Eldritch had remixed and extended ‘Train’ and the song, titled ‘Long Train (Amphetamix)’, was offered as a free flexi-disc (SAM218) in the first 3,000 copies of the 12� and 2,000 copies of the 7�. Eldritch again designed the cover but for the first time opted for a strictly graphic approach rather than an appropriated image. The crescent-and-bar graphic was his attempt to design a band logo that would eventually allow the Head and Star graphic to be used solely as a Merciful Release label logo. This attempt was to falter when the band split in 1985, before the new crescent logo had been fully accepted by the public. Eldritch believed that the Head and Star logo had to grace 1987’s ‘This Corrosion’ single to maintain aesthetic continuity after severe lineup changes and an absence of almost three years; the crescent logo was never revived.
Where's that from?
Prescott

Hmmmm? Very interesting.
"... because we're that kind of people."
bismarck

stufarq wrote:Where's that from?
Erm, I don't remember where I got that from. I have an unusually large collection of Sisters clippings, interviews etc. Ez will recognize it, I imagine.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck