The new Dr Who, what do you think?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Big Si
School Bully

streamline wrote:Liked Amy Pond as well! Although I can't see us seeing her in a miniskirt again :(
:wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s56d2

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Pista
Cureboi

Are the daleks all made of tupperware now?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Pista wrote:Are the daleks all made of tupperware now?
My immediate thought was "oh dear, boy-racer daleks"
Pista
Cureboi

sports drinks holders is another one I saw tonight
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

lazarus corporation wrote:
This just in
They're on Dr Who Confidential - with The Top Gear theme playing ... I kid you not!
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

here's a better collection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQMhblfGP4w

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

weebleswobble wrote:He (Eccleston) did announce his departure before ther BBC had planned to, maybe he did that to p*ss 'em off...
Other way round. Someone at the BBC announced it and pissed Eccleston off because they'd apparently agreed not to announce it at all so that it would be a shock. That announcement claimed that it was the gruelling schedule that prompted his decision - but it was hastily withdrawn and a new one issued saying that this wasn't the reason at all. I don't think any other official reason has been given. RTD has always claimed that they knew from day 1 that Eccleston would only do one year but it doesn't fit with the fiasco over the announcements nor with later admissions that they only knew towards the end of the season - plus RTD seems to be physically incapable of telling the truth under any circumstances.
timsinister wrote: Any corroborating evidence, stufarq?
No. I did say "rumours". However, the story apparently goes that Eccleston was dragging his heels about signing on for a second season and eventually the Beeb made the decision for him. It would still fit with him not enjoying the schedule or not wanting to be typecast or whatever but would also explain why he's had so little to say about the show since leaving and why he's said he would never work for the BBC again.
lazarus corporation wrote:
Mine was Matey bubblebath.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Daleks and Boy Racers are pretty much the same. Annoying little fascists with inferiority complexes. One wants to conquer the universe. The other wants us to think Ford Fiestas are cool. The former has a better chance of happening. ;D
The Chancer Corporation
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

I've still to watch last night's episode, was it any good?

The concept at least struck me as a more interesting Dalek story than we've had of late.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Elystan
Amphetamine Filth

I think it basically follows whatever social trend is around at the moment. The classic kids were scared of monsters and cool "cutting edge" special effects. Todays Dr Who... is an emo
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Erudite wrote:I've still to watch last night's episode, was it any good?
No. Wasted a good idea by taking the Daleks out of the WWII setting after ten minutes.
Phono Paul
Grimly Sheepish

As I was passing through...

It's pretty likely that Eccleston was only ever contracted for the single season, when you consider the given lead time for casting Tennant, the way the character develops, the Bad Wolf arc and, well... loads of other reasons that I'm evidently far too lazy to actually make up.

Taking that bit as read, what really happened was that, despite all the clever planning, Eccleston rather let it slip that he was only doing one season when he appeared on Jonathon Ross's show, mere days before the first episode was aired:

"Stho ththen Cthwistothpher, are you in it for the long haul?" (spot my hilarious Ross impression there)

"I think I've already done the long haul"

Cue sirens, flashing lights and Family Fortunesesque "duck" noises.

And somewhere in the BBC Press department the phone starts ringing off the hook. Unable to get hold of RTD for an official statement, some PR trainee hurriedly rushes out a press release, basically making the whole "pressures of filming" thing up.

Cue lots of bitterness and anger all round and a (somewhat less) hastily written retraction, well after the damage had been done.

Eccleston has a massive strop and supposedly refuses to work with the BBC ever again, although that bit is clearly bollocks as he's appearing in a BBC drama about Lennon imminently.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Phono Paul wrote:It's pretty likely that Eccleston was only ever contracted for the single season
There's no real doubt about that part. He wouldn't have got out of a longer contract very easily. Doesn't mean he'd made it clear that he wouldn't do another.
Phono Paul wrote:when you consider the given lead time for casting Tennant
Tennant was cast in February 2005, when Eccleston only had a few weeks left to record.
Phono Paul wrote:the way the character develops, the Bad Wolf arc
How, exactly, does the character develop? And how does the Bad Wolf arc prove your point? It's not really an arc at all, just a bunch of cryptic and ultimately meaningless references that Davies didn't even understand when he wrote them. He eventually turned them into a plot element after the event but not one that would only work if Eccleston's departure was agreed from the outset.
Phono Paul wrote:Taking that bit as read, what really happened was that, despite all the clever planning, Eccleston rather let it slip that he was only doing one season when he appeared on Jonathon Ross's show, mere days before the first episode was aired:

"Stho ththen Cthwistothpher, are you in it for the long haul?" (spot my hilarious Ross impression there)

"I think I've already done the long haul"

Cue sirens, flashing lights and Family Fortunesesque "duck" noises.

And somewhere in the BBC Press department the phone starts ringing off the hook. Unable to get hold of RTD for an official statement, some PR trainee hurriedly rushes out a press release, basically making the whole "pressures of filming" thing up.

Cue lots of bitterness and anger all round and a (somewhat less) hastily written retraction, well after the damage had been done.

Eccleston has a massive strop and supposedly refuses to work with the BBC ever again, although that bit is clearly bollocks as he's appearing in a BBC drama about Lennon imminently.
Possibly but none of this proves that they knew from the outset that Eccleston would only do one season. His departure wasn't confirmed to the production office until January 2005, almost at the end of shooting.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

All right, we get it - you've got the horn for the Invernessian Ginger Goddess.
To be fair, she is gorgeous.

However, you do realise that ginger + ginger = kids who burn to a crisp if exposed to direct sunlight for more than five minutes? :innocent: :wink:
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

The new one isn't bad.

Honestly the series has never come close to the first season which was flipping amazing.

I liked the Dalek episode BUT, as with Cybermen and other iconic enemies, they have to be used sparingly otherwise they lose their impact as seen with Tennant.

and I don't care what anyone says, Timothy Dalton as Rassilon was :notworthy:
End of line.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

spot778 wrote:as with Cybermen and other iconic enemies, they have to be used sparingly otherwise they lose their impact
Agreed. Plus it becomes predictable (did anyone NOT guess that the Master would be in Series 3 just because it was his turn next?) They need to have at least one series with no returning monsters at all and two or three years without Daleks or Cybermen. (Although, frankly, if I never see the modern Playmobil Cybermen again I'll be very happy.)
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Erudite wrote:All right, we get it - you've got the horn for the Invernessian Ginger Goddess.
To be fair, she is gorgeous.

However, you do realise that ginger + ginger = kids who burn to a crisp if exposed to direct sunlight for more than five minutes? :innocent: :wink:
worth it :innocent:
DrG
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I really enjoyed The Time of Angels... can't wait until next week! ;D

Matt Smith is doing a fine job as the Doctor. He reminds me of Troughton
and McCoy with a bit of Davison thrown in! It's a nice mix. :wink:
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic
Silver_Owl
The Don

We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

One wrote: "The tension and enjoyment of the moment was completely ruined by the cartoon figure of Graham Norton which appeared over Matt Smith's face..."

i'd have thought that was a blessing ;D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Silver_Owl
The Don

Quiff Boy wrote::lol:

One wrote: "The tension and enjoyment of the moment was completely ruined by the cartoon figure of Graham Norton which appeared over Matt Smith's face..."

i'd have thought that was a blessing ;D
It's not an image I want to contemplate...Graham Norton appearing over Matt Smith's face. :urff:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

The Angels aren't scary anymore. I'll have to show Oor Lass Blink to prove they were once, she just thinks I'm a coward.

Hope this is the last we see of River Song, too. :roll:
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Wee Logan nearly s**t 'imself :lol:
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I'm warming to Matt Smith's interpretation of the role - seeing more than a few hints of Hartnell's irascibility in there (and Troughton's insanity). I also detected a hint of Peter Davison (the fevered energy mixed with the palpable weight of responsibility).