Lucretia's bassline

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Jim
Slight Overbomber

I like the idea of her sole contribution to the recorded catalogue being 'Emma'. Which has three notes if memory serves.

And I always used to play Lucretia with an 8th rest after the E (though I acknowledge it's not there on the recording).
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Being645
Wiki Wizard

stufarq wrote:
Being645 wrote:Perhaps one can find that interview somewhere ...
It would be nice to although it didn't say much that's relevant to this thread. Most of it was about why he chose to work with the guy from Sigue Sigue Sputnik.
I've found not exactly that interview but some most similar reference in UTR 5, Page 6 in the Photo Gallery ... see the middle column ...

quite an interesting article, btw, which starts two pages before ... mostly concerning the state of affairs around Bruhn's departure ... :wink: ...
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth
Location: At the place where the bars never close (not that soon, at least)

Very interesting indeed!
Introducing....Gothzilla?!?
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Jackpot! Eldritch does say that Patricia didn't play on Floodland and couldn't play very well and, according to him, she did claim a co-writer's credit. We may never know the truth but at least the various claims seem to be cleared up (unless Patricia counters that she didn't claim a writing credit).

The whole interview's pretty fascinating really. Intreresting that, a couple of years after the Q interview in which Eldritch said he couldn't talk about the court case, he's now giving precise details about who's been accused of what.

Andreas's side of the story is interesting too - and, as the interviewer says, somewhat familiar. Shame there isn't an interview with Tim too as it might have given the middle ground. But a very interesting insight into the band's internal politics. Thatnks for unearthing that, Being645.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Well, it's UTR V ... that says issued in 1992 !!! ... :wink: ...

Where were we ... 2011? :innocent:
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Thanks for finding that! It was an interesting read. I'm sure his version is true. People are like that, they try to get their piece of the cake.
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

Sita wrote:Thanks for finding that! It was an interesting read. I'm sure his version is true. People are like that, they try to get their piece of the cake.
Hm. I spoke to Patricia in early '93 at what I think was CNN's debut concert, where Tim Bricheno was playing. She was real nice, gave me a quick kiss when I was cheeky enough to ask for one, but when I asked her what the deal was with the suing business, she was pretty adamant she was due major props for Floodland on grounds of co-writing. Didn't mention what exactly co-writing involved - I remember I was pretty taken in by her though and it didn't even occur to me that Von wasn't being a dick about the whole thing. Lately I've come round to Von's side of the whole thing now, his statements seem a little more coherent. Be great to see those two do an actual live set together, especially maybe covering some Damned material. Burying the hatchet's not exactly Von's thing though, is it? Thank f**k he was never put in charge of the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission...
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Machine Regime wrote:Burying the hatchet's not exactly Von's thing though, is it?
...unless he's burying it in someone's skull!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Sita

Hmmm... that's his image, but don't you think he sounds quite mild in all more recent interviews?

While, on the other hand, Patricia came across positively vile on her own website and in that "Classic Rock" special (not the more recent, lengthy interview, but the lengthy glossy article where they quoted all these people to make Eldritch look like a psychopath).
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Sita wrote:Hmmm... that's his image, but don't you think he sounds quite mild in all more recent interviews?
Actually, you're right. 8)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

tbh, it doesn't really matter to me if she did or didn't write or play anything on floodland :|

the sister mk 2 was andy and pat.

(i'm not going to quibble about minor lineup changes pre-wayne. you all know what i mean when i say mk2)

floodland was the sisters' breakthrough album in terms of chart acceptance, and the singles off it were seen as breakthrough cross-over songs from the inde/alternative charts the mainstream charts.

the sister at that time were all about andy & pat.

she was as integral to the 'look' of the band at the time as he was.

all those press photos, the interviews, the videos, the single sleeves, the music tv appearances... in the absence of any live shows, the band at that stage were all about their recorded work (which at the time was claimed to involve pat) and their visual appearance (of which pat was integral)

don't buy into von's rhetoric about her being a hanger-on.

(maybe the reason he's gone mild about it is that he's slightly embarrassed about making such outrageous claims? maybe not. we will never know.)

in the same way as that crazy dancing afro guy from boney m didn't actually sing on those records, he was just as much a part of that band ;)

and the missing member of the sisters mk 2?

What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:tbh, it doesn't really matter to me if she did or didn't write or play anything on floodland :|

(i'm not going to quibble about minor lineup changes pre-wayne. you all know what i mean when i say mk2)

floodland was the sisters' breakthrough album in terms of chart acceptance, and the singles off it were seen as breakthrough cross-over songs from the inde/alternative charts the mainstream charts.

all those press photos, the interviews, the videos, the single sleeves, the music tv appearances... in the absence of any live shows, the band at that stage were all about their recorded work (which at the time was claimed to involve pat) and their visual appearance (of which pat was integral)

(maybe the reason he's gone mild about it is that he's slightly embarrassed about making such outrageous claims? maybe not. we will never know.)

in the same way as that crazy dancing afro guy from boney m didn't actually sing on those records, he was just as much a part of that band ;)

and the missing member of the sisters mk 2?

I think I read somewhere (probably Wiki, so its probably not true) that Bobby Farrell (or Crazy Dancing Afro Guy, as his parents knew him) did actually sing live, when the band were required to do so (I think that means actual concerts rather than TV appearances etc). Granted though, Boney M were masterminded by the same guy behind Milli Vanilli. One thing that's not in question is that the guy could really dance, whereas Pat's role in the Sisters was seemingly just to show up.
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
Sita

This is all very true, and I absolutely agree about the integral part, being a Floodland-Era-Fan myself, and despite me saying she sounded nasty, I still love Patricia's white gown on those TV performances, but - What are you doing here??? :eek: Shouldn't you be studying a drinks menu right now, and not our silly musings? :lol:
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Quiff Boy wrote:tbh, it doesn't really matter to me if she did or didn't write or play anything on floodland :|

Completely seconded ... :notworthy: ...

see also for example

http://www.ultimatesistersguide.org/ima ... ne-881.jpg
http://www.ultimatesistersguide.org/ima ... ne-882.jpg

... as much as
www.ultimatesistersguide.org/images/mag ... ec-871.jpg
http://www.ultimatesistersguide.org/ima ... ec-872.jpg
http://www.ultimatesistersguide.org/ima ... ec-873.jpg

As to The Sisters' MKII see also the James Ray Interview in GPS
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Machine Regime wrote:Thank f**k he was never put in charge of the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission...
:lol: :lol: seriously how the f**k did you come up with that?! of course not, he has absolutely nothing to do with that, nevermind in charge of it.
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Machine Regime wrote:Lately I've come round to Von's side of the whole thing now, his statements seem a little more coherent.
Doesn't make him right, just makes him articulate.

Because of the direct link, I read Von's interview first and it all sounded completely plausible. Then I read Andreas's and that sounded completely plausible too - not least because he was only the latest in a long line of people to say similar things. That's why I'd like to hear Tim's version - to see whether he supported one or the other or gave a more realistic middle ground.

In terms of whether or not Patricia wrote anything, I suspect there's a coomon disagreement there over what constitutes writing and what constitutes arranging (which would probably require her to have played). As an example, Wayne wrote all the Mish songs on the first four albums himself but then let everyone get involved in the arrangement. He considered their contributions so important that they co-writing credits on every song. Elvis Costello did essentially the same thing when with the Attractions - he wrote the basic song and demoed it on an acoustic guitar - then worked out the arrangement with the band. he fully respected their contribution and always acknowledged it but he's always credited as sole writer. Neither's right or wrong; it's just a different viewpoint on what's the song and what's the arrangement. Maybe the same happened with the Sisters. Maybe Von wrote the basic songs but Patricia helped with arrangements. Maybe she actually wrote the Lucretia bassline and feels that she deserves a co-writing credit. but maybe Von feels that he'd already written the song and she just helped with the arrangement. And they'd both be right. Or this could be wild speculation and I'd be wrong.