Alt-Fest 2014

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Hunslet Ramone wrote:Thankyou Nik , did not see this one before, will go to that. Great its in October when not a lot on.
There's a full page ad on the back of a Vive Le Rock. They have obviously twigged that us oldies like hot showers and comfy beds !
Still waiting for the first "alternative cruise " !
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

Yeah your right there Nik.
I go to gigs, and if there is any money left, I eat
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

Saga Goth Cruises here we come.
I go to gigs, and if there is any money left, I eat
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

They'd only sold 7500 tickets :eek:
Further evidence that a) there's not that many of us interested in that scene anymore (cf the failure of mags like Alternative and Dominion) b) those who are don't go to as many festivals as they did (family reasons, used to home comforts etc) and c) many of those who still do go to festivals had what has become a self-fulfilling suspicion that it wouldn't go ahead.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I don't know details and how-it-is-behind-numbers but I guess that market situation (also mentioned in that post) is not good enough for such expenses. I also guess that they did mistake to try to get too many big names (also mentioned band deposits). I'm afraid that they wanted to become bigger at the start than it was possible. But it's easy to say.
Last edited by Bartek on 01 Aug 2014, 22:24, edited 2 times in total.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

My two favourite comments:-

The first after all the "thank-yous" for making the effort

Marcos Marado Thank you for letting me buy tickets... plus non-refundable plane tickets, non-refundable train tickets and non-refundable hotel reservations, when you knew you were still >3000 tickets far from making the event possible, which, in the time-frame, it *must* have been seen as difficult to achieve. I do believe when you say this isn't a con nor a scam, but it surely is true that you have letted us all down. Your explanations show quite plainly that you didn't have the organization and managing skills to deal with an event of this size/risk/investment. Which could be more or less excusable looking at how the idea grew, but it stopped being the moment you decided not to be transparent about what was going on. You didn't failed on us by failing to make the event happen, you failed on us when you tried /too hard/ to make it happen, which ended up costing us quite a lot more than just being let down by the fact that the event isn't happening after all.

and

Luciano Avendano Fuckin goths
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Well... we are totally gutted. 10 Grand trip up in smoke, all planned around AltFest. Would NEVER normally travel in summer, only ever the off season. Now stuck with a bunch of time in the UK when we don't actually want or need to be there. Talk about poo...
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

splintered thing wrote:Well... we are totally gutted. 10 Grand trip up in smoke, all planned around AltFest. Would NEVER normally travel in summer, only ever the off season. Now stuck with a bunch of time in the UK when we don't actually want or need to be there. Talk about poo...
Gutted for you :(
As (admittedly poor) alternatives, music-wise there's Rebellion if you like old skool punk, Leeds Festival has a rock-ier line-up and would give you the chance to go round TSOM's old haunts, and the Edinburgh Festival is always worth a visit for comedy and cutting edge theatre etc.
splintered thing

Cheers, will look into these!
There is always wildlife parks - badgers!!!
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

splintered thing wrote:Cheers, will look into these!
There is always wildlife parks - badgers!!!
:lol: Good to see you've not lost your sense of humour !
splintered thing

One must soldier on, and it is actually our honeymoon (from our April wedding...) so we are determined to make it work. ;)
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

In that case I'm sure that you'll find ways to fill your time !
robertzombie
Overbomber

This is what Alt-Fest I should have been: https://www.facebook.com/events/610961375690939/
Memnarch
Road Kill

A 'goth' festival of that size would never work in the uk anyway, not these days. I guess the old case of the unexperienced with expectations and ideas way beyond their station.
splintered thing

ooohhhhhhhh we can't win.... Now Project Pitchfork have pulled out of Infest due to illness!!! :(

We do get VNV though in return :)
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
radiojamaica
Overbomber

splintered thing wrote:ooohhhhhhhh we can't win.... Now Project Pitchfork have pulled out of Infest due to illness!!! :(

We do get VNV though in return :)
Ow s**t... reminds of a couple of years ago when I travelled all the way to Barcelona for a Seefeel gig to learn they cancelled it a week before.
I did have a great time in Barcelona so I sure hope you'll have a ball at infest either way :wink:
in dub we trust
LyanvisAberrant

Bartek wrote:
LyanvisAberrant wrote:I sold a book from 1760 to go to this festival....
It's a typo, you meant 1960, right? :eek:
nope.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.