Vinyl cuts not available on CD

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

paint it black wrote:seriously, warm lemon drink is needed here
:lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

Umm, Simon Quinlank prefered his lemon drink weak not warm. Sorry, feeling a bit pedantic this morning :oops:
Anger Is An Energy
robertzombie
Overbomber

oneiros wrote:
robertzombie wrote:BODY AND SOUL

I've now transferred both Body And Soul singles, 7" and 12" ...
I finally ripped my copy of the 12" last year and Afterhours (IMO, one of the very best Sisters' tracks) sounds really nasty in places, as if it's overloading or clipping or something. The disc is in pretty good condition and I used a Rega Planar 3 / Behringer USB Phono interface to rip the audio; I suspect the distortion is in the original mastering. Do you hear anything similar?

Thanks.
Where do you hear distortion on your transfer? I just re-did the B&S EP with a massively upgraded set up since last time* and the distortion is much less. My new cartridge is known for killing IGD and sibilant distortion, consequently my new transfer is almost distortion free. I do think the track was recorded hot, and I get a couple of instances of sibilant break-up and two moments of guitar distortion (maybe due to clipping on the recording?), but I think that's inherent in the mix and unavoidable.

*Previously: Pro-Ject Essential, OM5E cart, Pro-Ject phono pre. Now: Technics SL-1210, AT440MLa cart, Technics SU-V9 amp.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Phil wrote:Umm, Simon Quinlank prefered his lemon drink weak not warm. Sorry, feeling a bit pedantic this morning :oops:
King of ALL HOBBIES not like Neil Petark who is a FALSE HOBBYIST

:lol:
robertzombie
Overbomber

I did some work on this project last night and transferred all the unique 7 inch versions to high resolution digital:
Giving Ground RSV / AV
Doctor Jeep
Dominion
No Time To Cry
Temple Of Love
Train
Upthread, I discussed in detail the differences between the 7 and 12 inch versions of Train. Here is a sample of each version (30 seconds, 16/44 wav) that should clearly demonstrate what I was talking about. Listen to the different ways the vocal wails, guitar, and drums are treated: https://www.mediafire.com/?2pbkn2eock5xes4

Enjoy :)
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Dont think its been mentioned before but the 7" of Lucretia is an edit. Most obviously at the fadeout but the also the line '... a long, long, long train (train)" is cut...
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
robertzombie
Overbomber

bangles wrote:Dont think its been mentioned before but the 7" of Lucretia is an edit. Most obviously at the fadeout but the also the line '... a long, long, long train (train)" is cut...
Indeed! And the instrumentation is quite different from the LP version. Hard to find on CD too, it looks like it's available on a US promo.
robertzombie
Overbomber

I'm going to bump this thread as I feel it's something new member Gaijin might be interested in ;)
Gaijin
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I found this thread quite a while ago thanks. :)

I didn't want to bump it though, thinking that the discussion was closed.

But now that you have, there are some things I can share:

Lucretia US Promo 12"
http://burningtheground.net/2012/10/the ... -12-promo/

Temple of Love 1983 7"
http://burningtheground.net/2012/01/the ... love-uk-7/

Great options of 24-bit, 16-bit flac await those with an ear for the finer details. Notice, if you will, how the 24-bit Heartland kicks serious CD butt.
"All God's children give good phone,
I called Jesus He's not home... "
robertzombie
Overbomber

Those transfers are mighty fine.
Gaijin

robertzombie wrote:Those transfers are mighty fine.
Yes they are excellent. I think he has a more time available for manual pop removal etc. than most spend on sleep.

I'd been hoping he'd get around to B&S for ages, then I found your shares.
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

I see a password, but not a user name?
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Gaijin wrote:I found this thread quite a while ago thanks. :)

I didn't want to bump it though, thinking that the discussion was closed.

But now that you have, there are some things I can share:

Lucretia US Promo 12"
http://burningtheground.net/2012/10/the ... -12-promo/

Temple of Love 1983 7"
http://burningtheground.net/2012/01/the ... love-uk-7/

Great options of 24-bit, 16-bit flac await those with an ear for the finer details. Notice, if you will, how the 24-bit Heartland kicks serious CD butt.
Wow, this is a very nice blog! Thank you for the link! ... :notworthy: ...

Aazhyd wrote:I see a password, but not a user name?
Open Your Eyes ... :lol: ...

But ok, btg
robertzombie
Overbomber

Gaijin wrote:
robertzombie wrote:Those transfers are mighty fine.
Yes they are excellent. I think he has a more time available for manual pop removal etc. than most spend on sleep.

I'd been hoping he'd get around to B&S for ages, then I found your shares.
He's got some cartridge alignment issues on some of the other shares, but his sisters ones are great. Glad you like mine :)
Gaijin

Your rips are great, no mistake - but may I assume they are more on-the-fly? I'd be happy if you redid the whole of SGWBM though. And the Last Magician.

I've been visiting that blog since 2010 and have grabbed a few things. He's been through a few rigs and the results show. His 24-bit stuff makes owning vinyl redundant if one can play them as is.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Gaijin wrote:Your rips are great, no mistake - but may I assume they are more on-the-fly? I'd be happy if you redid the whole of SGWBM though. And the Last Magician.

I've been visiting that blog since 2010 and have grabbed a few things. He's been through a few rigs and the results show. His 24-bit stuff makes owning vinyl redundant if one can play them as is.
On the fly?

I have done all the early EPs that make up SGWBM, except for Damage Done and Body Electric - I don't own those.

You need the vinyl in the first place to make the rips, so not entirely redundant :D
robertzombie
Overbomber

vicus wrote:
robertzombie wrote:I've been trying to compile a list of all the tracks that were released on vinyl but haven't subsequently been released on CD (e.g. the Body & Soul b-sides).

I think I've got a complete list. There are a couple of times where 7" versions (e.g. This Corrosion) were released on promo CDs but not widely distributed, so I've included them.

Is this list correct?
[...]

This Corrosion 7" & 12"
[...]
+ Jim-Steinman-Mix (Cass.)
Fired up the Nakamichi and digitised the Steinman Mix :D

https://youtu.be/3VUFKDR_XGs
Gaijin

Nice shares @robertzombie

Your two TC uploads are of the edits that appear on the cassette single (among other sources).

In an issue of UTG they are labelled as:

This Corrosion (7" Mk. I) - which is a little easier than 'Black Label Promo Edit' - is the shorter.
This Corrosion (7" Mk. II) - Steinman's Edit

The short version is available on a 1998 CD called Nocturnal http://www.discogs.com/Various-Nocturnal/master/153446, and the Steinman edit can be done digitally from the CDS, but I'm sure your conversion is tops.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Gaijin wrote:Nice shares @robertzombie

Your two TC uploads are of the edits that appear on the cassette single (among other sources).

In an issue of UTG they are labelled as:

This Corrosion (7" Mk. I) - which is a little easier than 'Black Label Promo Edit' - is the shorter.
This Corrosion (7" Mk. II) - Steinman's Edit

The short version is available on a 1998 CD called Nocturnal http://www.discogs.com/Various-Nocturnal/master/153446, and the Steinman edit can be done digitally from the CDS, but I'm sure your conversion is tops.
Ah, thanks for mentioning the official names. Which issue is that from?

N.B. The Black Label Promo Edit is *not* the same as the 7" version. The 7" version is ~30 seconds longer.

The version I've labelled as Black Label Promo Edit is the same as track 1 on the MR and Elektra This Corrosion CS'. On the Elektra CS it's called "Edited Version".
robertzombie
Overbomber

To give followers an update on this project, I am very nearly at the end of it and it will be available here shortly. Just ironing out things with the boss :)
robertzombie
Overbomber

The full list, btw, is:

Kiss [Reprise]
Temple Of Love [7� Version]
Body And Soul
Body Electric
Train
Afterhours
Walk Away [Eldritch Mix]
No Time To Cry [7� Version]
Giving Ground [RSV]
Giving Ground [AV]
This Corrosion [12� Version] & [Black Label Promo Edit]
Lucretia My Reflection [7� Remix]
Dominion [7� Version]
Driven Like The Snow [LP Version]
Doctor Jeep [7� Version]
Burn [Live]
Amphetamine Logic [Live]

You could also include Dominion/Mother Russia, Flood II, and Never Land from the MFSL remaster but I view them as being separate from the original canon.
Last edited by robertzombie on 25 Mar 2015, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
Gaijin

:?: Does 'Boss' = Andrew
robertzombie
Overbomber

Gaijin wrote::?: Does 'Boss' = Andrew
Barry.
Gaijin

robertzombie wrote:You could also include Dominion/Mother Russia, Flood II, and Never Land from the MFSL remaster but I view them as being separate from the original canon.
What is different about those tracks on the MFSL remaster Robert?
robertzombie
Overbomber

Gaijin wrote:
robertzombie wrote:You could also include Dominion/Mother Russia, Flood II, and Never Land from the MFSL remaster but I view them as being separate from the original canon.
What is different about those tracks on the MFSL remaster Robert?
Mother Russia is extended by 10 seconds at the end, Flood II is a different vocal mix, and Never Land is.... https://youtu.be/pyZwO44oeH0