Vinyl re-issue of F&L&A + 3 EPs

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
robertzombie
Overbomber

timsinister wrote:Where do you recommend purchasing it from Rob? You're the new Guru in my eyes.
I've only seen the box set available on Amazon so far, though it might be worth calling your local HMV/Fopp as they tend to stock Rhino's releases.

For the download, I'd get the 24/96 from HD Tracks and then make your own CD resolution versions where necessary.
Gary
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Box set just arrived from Amazon, very nicely packaged! this is however my 5th copy of the album on vinyl... oh dear.
robertzombie
Overbomber

The box just arrived. Visual impression is WOW!
mh
Above the Chemist

robertzombie wrote:The box just arrived. Visual impression is WOW!
Cool.

I've just seen the photos on Amazon and it looks like it's a gatefold LP. Any other nicenesses?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Pat
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote:
robertzombie wrote:The box just arrived. Visual impression is WOW!
Cool.

I've just seen the photos on Amazon and it looks like it's a gatefold LP. Any other nicenesses?
Antiscratch/static ricepaper type sleeves inside the paper sleeves.

The smell is just wonderful.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Thick box. Glossy sleeves. Poly-lined inners. Flawless pressings.

More importantly: Listening now. So far, so definitive.
robm
Amphetamine Filth

On Google Play Music under "Sisters of Mercy".

And with the wrong "Body Electric".

Grrr.
robertzombie
Overbomber

HD Tracks has the right Body Electric, and it's in high resolution.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Just finished listening to the album, here are my very initial impressions:

Compared to original pressings, this remaster has a much fuller body, the bass is greatly improved, there is a nice clarity to the digital drum FX, and some of the backing vocals are clearer. I've heard this album A LOT, and I think this new remaster is the best I've ever heard it sounding.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Sounds like the original cassette to me.
Goths have feelings too
robertzombie
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:Sounds like the original cassette to me.
Quite right, the original cassette does have a similar sounding EQ. Perhaps they used cassette production masters as their source.
robm
Amphetamine Filth

Hopefully the other services will fix this.

Nah I'm just kidding.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Mastering update: According to the LP liner notes, "Cut from original production masters by Ray Staff at Air Studios, London". So, not Sean Magee at Abbey Road. Still sounds great!
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

robertzombie wrote:Just finished listening to the album, here are my very initial impressions:

Compared to original pressings, this remaster has a much fuller body, the bass is greatly improved, there is a nice clarity to the digital drum FX, and some of the backing vocals are clearer. I've heard this album A LOT, and I think this new remaster is the best I've ever heard it sounding.
Wow, sounds good, thanks for the update. I am happy to take your word as gospel on this topic!
robertzombie
Overbomber

The three EPs sound great. A similar EQ improvement as noted above with the main LP. Body And Soul is probably the star here, as we finally get Body Electric and Afterhours mastered correctly for the first time. Walk Away sounds pretty phenomenal too at 45 RPM!

There's not much else I can say at this point other than, FINALLY, this album sounds *right* ;D
iesus
Overbomber

Robert is a real expert to the subject :notworthy: :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Randall Flagg
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote:Thick box. Glossy sleeves. Poly-lined inners. Flawless pressings.

It is a beautifully executed package - hard to fault thus far.

Although the download code (which I almost overlooked) does not appear to work :? the link takes you to a file not found page. Nowhere near as funny as the official site 404 Chemist pages.

Rob - - did you d/l the files OK?

Flagg
robertzombie
Overbomber

Randall Flagg wrote:
robertzombie wrote:Thick box. Glossy sleeves. Poly-lined inners. Flawless pressings.

It is a beautifully executed package - hard to fault thus far.

Although the download code (which I almost overlooked) does not appear to work :? the link takes you to a file not found page. Nowhere near as funny as the official site 404 Chemist pages.

Rob - - did you d/l the files OK?

Flagg
I had the same error. Might try again tomorrow, then again, mp3 is useless to me. I'll end up buying the high-res downloads no doubt.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Do try the dl-code later. I've had it with other releases that it didn't work until the Monday after the Friday releasedate. Digital can never beat analog, right?! ;D

It seems I need this boxset after all :D
in dub we trust
Randall Flagg

radiojamaica wrote:Do try the dl-code later. I've had it with other releases that it didn't work until the Monday after the Friday releasedate. Digital can never beat analog, right?! ;D

You do - as soon as I put it on the shelf I imagined how it would look with the Floodland equivalent in 2018!

Flagg
robertzombie
Overbomber

Randall Flagg wrote:
radiojamaica wrote:Do try the dl-code later. I've had it with other releases that it didn't work until the Monday after the Friday releasedate. Digital can never beat analog, right?! ;D

You do - as soon as I put it on the shelf I imagined how it would look with the Floodland equivalent in 2018!

Flagg
That thought also crossed my mind ;)
Randall Flagg

robertzombie wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Flagg
That thought also crossed my mind ;)
its inevitable - I guess a lot will depend on how this one sells...

whoever put it together and signed off the design deserves some credit. Its well done and given that its 180 g vinyl not that expensive...

Flagg
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The highress 24/96 tracks sounds stunning. Body and Soul E.P is a beast now :P
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
darcraver
Road Kill

Ordered mine today. Will be fun to compare to the other versions.
robertzombie
Overbomber

I've got the 24/96 download coming down the pipe. Will comment on it later today :-)