NEW SONGS!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

In a private message conversation with myself on Facebook re. the future and our 'renewed hopes' in light of the new songs:
Ben Christo wrote:Thanks, man! I’m really hopeful myself as we move into this next era. Let’s see!
:von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Swinnow
Overbomber

We can but hope Ben and Dylan can ignite Von's rock star fire again. Surely by now he has a tax bill to pay or an Eagle or three to feed.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Look, the reality is that the band has been more creatively active in the last 12 months than it has been in 20 years.

That's cool.
“I don't want people to come and see our gig because of the magnificent things I'm doing with my hips, but it's their evening, you know. They have to have fun. I'm a little bit naive."
mh
Above the Chemist

Swinnow wrote:...or an Eagle or three to feed.
He has former guitarists for that, surely?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I've got to say that I simply cannot believe Andrew will go to the undoubtedly enormous effort of "finishing"a whole selection of these new songs, and releasing an album.
There is nothing to drive him to do so. No reason to release an album.
Depeche Mode releases an album, and its just a sweetener to roll off another huge world tour. The tour is the cash cow, not the record.

With the Sisters, the approach for two and half decades has been to play new songs at the shows. This *IS* the sweetener to go to the shows; the selection of unreleased songs that can't be experienced by any other means (expect for bootleggs). That's the cash cow.

I think you'll probably get 5-6 of them actually played in normal circulation, if you're lucky. By their standards that's pretty good.
Why not post the names of many of them on an html page on the official site ? That keeps people interested and doesn't cost a dime.
What not mention they've "worked on" over 16 songs in an interview ? That was free promotion as well. And we're here talking about it. Andrew's no fool.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Ocean Moves wrote:I've got to say that I simply cannot believe Andrew will go to the undoubtedly enormous effort of "finishing"a whole selection of these new songs, and releasing an album.
There is nothing to drive him to do so. No reason to release an album.
North America - the one territory it seems the Sisters can't sell tickets, at least not without new product.
Given Andrew's ambivalent feelings towards it, and the current incumbent of the White House, it's highly debatable whether he'd want to.

I'd certainly concede your other points with the caveat that this is undeniably the most creative activity we've seen from the band in a couple of decades.
I won't be holding my breath for a new album, but I reserve the right to cling to the thin shred of hope that we might finally be seeing a sea change in AE's attitude towards releasing new material.
:wink:
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Swinnow
Overbomber

"Andrew's no fool"

Males me wonder who is? I've been going to each tour since Ben G was a lad, plural occasions, home and abroad, until recently and this has made me think.

Unreasonable, nay heretic to some I know.

This has got me exploring the idea that this could be the most business like maneuvering we have seen by a "rock" outfit. Not a nice thought to me.

Mind you, last two nights were spent enjoying:
(i) a, sometimes shambolic, sometimes magical Mish gig in Birmingham;
(ii) the Levellers in Liverpool which was a glorious communal cathartic mix of Pogues, Clash, Hawkwind and Jethro Tull.
My old-fashioned views and individual, simplistic approach may be unwelcome to some but there you go, it's only my opinion and we all have them just like we have an a......

Will still be found at Leeds Academy somewhere near the bar, for my sins.

Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
eastmidswhizzkid

Andrew's no fool. Well we know that. We also know that being a rock n roll star remains more addictive than sex and drugs and rock n roll together (coming as they do with the rest of the package). And we know that Andrew doesn't need to be a rock n rolller to earn a living as has often been stated; hence the lack of selling us any old s**t to feed the old trouble and the bin lids.Lets face it, the haters cant have it all ways: "he doesnt give a s**t about us and therefore hasnt given us new product for umpty-ump years" and "he releases any old s**t cuz he doesnt give a f**k about us and needs the dough" cant co-exist in the same point in time and space. nothing cuts 2 ways....

SO: we have Eldritch's rock and roll lifestyle existing as that most marvellous of things - a hobby (you can now drink the weak lemon drink). Which as anyone who has tasted it will tell you consists of a few fun things with a fuckload of dull things. Get rid of the dull things (everything bar playing live and the sex & drugs & rock n roll) and you're left with playing live and the sex & drugs & rock n roll. When he's had enough of those (he wont until it kills him or does what its done to poor mr denbigh for example) or we do a ziggy on him and the kids kill the man (we wont) he will carry on regardless. as does happen (and has happened) on occassion he will encounter fellow wayfairers who will imbue the road with wonder anew and inspire the journey to be something more; for a while at least. he will experience a rekindling of the love for -amongst other previously dull bits of being a rock n rolller- writing new songs, as has happened with this incarnation of the band.
again, as anyone who has ever experienced the 2 distinctions will tell you, writng songs alone or as part of a song-writing team is NOT THE SAME as writing new material as part of a band. this is a band again, not just Eldritch and -regrdless of their worth- some backing musicians . when they get bored of it or it implodes (it will- no one can work with Eldritch for very long) he will go back to the playing live.

...AND the sex & drugs & rock n roll natch.... :roll:

so WHATEVER DA FUCK!!
Andy William Harvey Eldo wins again innit?
WHEN WILL YOU LEARN? :twisted: :roll: :von:

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:...no one can work with Eldritch for very long...
Chris was in the band for ~15 years and Ben's not far behind. Just sayin'.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

markfiend wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:...no one can work with Eldritch for very long...
Chris was in the band for ~15 years and Ben's not far behind. Just sayin'.
we've been friends for nearly 15 years Mark and although we've only met up on a handful of occasions i'd say that you probably have the measure of me personality-wise, warts and all.
HOWEVER if i were to crash on your sofa for JUST ONE WEEK you would be happy to see the back of me. in the nicest possible way natch. :P :kiss:

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: :kiss:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
hellboy69
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

My tour shirts make a lovely sound whenever I put them on :D
eastmidswhizzkid

But Genevieve & I Will Call You are fabulous; just like Show Me, Better Reptile, Instrumental & Kickline last tour. The jury's out 'Still' on the Black Sail but l've only listened to it a few hundred times and sometimes these things have to grow on me.

Regardless of all that : what a fucking AWESOME time to be a Sisters fan! :von:

Todashi

I will call you is really really good.

All the new tracks are good, but two or three are REALLY good. I listened to Black Sail and I thought it sounded a little . . . unfinished. I thought the drum pattern was quite monotonous and simple but actually, having listened to I Will Call You, which is much more polished, I think it's deliberate.

If these were sat next to each other on an album, they'd provide contrast. The boys have clearly been actually quite hard at work.

New sisters music - and a lot of it. Who'd have thought it.
“I don't want people to come and see our gig because of the magnificent things I'm doing with my hips, but it's their evening, you know. They have to have fun. I'm a little bit naive."
iesus
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Can we Pin this somewhere to see it for some time :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
eastmidswhizzkid

iesus wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Can we Pin this somewhere to see it for some time :notworthy:
Damn straight bro! 8)

Todashi

The new new songs are on constant rotation this morning as I work.

it's got me thinking. This is really the fifth album we're getting now, if the previous batch of 'new' songs (Summer, Crash and Burn, Suzanne etc) been recorded.
Todashi

I also just want to say thank you to the people taping these new songs and posting them on youtube.

Is Ingo Wenemaring on here? If he is, I have a request - could you post the best versions of the new new songs in a single playlist so I can just hit play and let it run?

That would be awesome!
sultan2075
Overbomber

Todashi wrote:The new new songs are on constant rotation this morning as I work.

it's got me thinking. This is really the fifth album we're getting now, if the previous batch of 'new' songs (Summer, Crash and Burn, Suzanne etc) been recorded.
A better reality, for sure. I'd love to hear all of this stuff done up right in the studio.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
g44fr
Road Kill

For me, new songs has some 84/85 flavor with a fresh air. Very curious to hear them with a studio sound.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I do like new songs, partly because they're new, but mostly because of quality, it's not simple chugg-chugga as arms (guitar if stolen is less obvious). Black Sail is particulary catchy and good.
ruffers
Overbomber

Although Arms is high quality chugga.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

De gustibus non est disputandum.
ruffers
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:De gustibus non est disputandum.
Nice line - I'll remember that one :notworthy:
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow