My favourite Sisters covers

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 16:33 Here it is!! Hope you guys enjoy. Don't know if this is the right place to put it or not, but yeah. I had fun on this one.
Good work!
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
sultan2075
Overbomber

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 19:29
sultan2075 wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 18:19
LyanvisAberrant wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 16:33

Here it is!! Hope you guys enjoy. Don't know if this is the right place to put it or not, but yeah. I had fun on this one.
That sounds good. I recall some earlier stuff from you some years back, and I feel like this is kind of a big leap forward on the vocal front (I don't mean that to sound bad; you just sound more... comfortable, I guess?). Your voice also really reminds me of someone else, but I just cannot place it.
Oh I'd love to know who, if you manage to put your finger on it! I have an unconventional voice as far as I'm able to discern.
And thank you for your kind comments. Gosh, those were really almost a decade ago. Time's odd.
Not gonna lie, it is positively driving me up the wall that I cannot place who it reminds me of. I really do like this though - more and more.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
FMAMMY
Road Kill

sultan2075 wrote: 06 Jul 2023, 02:54
Not gonna lie, it is positively driving me up the wall that I cannot place who it reminds me of. I really do like this though - more and more.
The voice reminds me of Jose Gonzalez:
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

There's A Door is next. Cover coming in a week or so, very much enjoying this one x
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
FMAMMY
Road Kill

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 13:41 There's A Door is next. Cover coming in a week or so, very much enjoying this one x
Great news! Really looking forward to hear it! :)
LyanvisAberrant

There's a door is hard. Really unsatisfied with how it's turning out. Lets add another few days to that week x
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
LyanvisAberrant

THERE'S A DOOR IS DONE!!! well, as done as i can possibly get it.
Really hope you guys like it, let me know what you think x
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 19 Aug 2023, 08:06

Holy f**k. That's incredible. I'd no idea something so fantastic was hiding in that song. Well done.
LyanvisAberrant

Todashi wrote: 20 Aug 2023, 09:20

Holy f**k. That's incredible. I'd no idea something so fantastic was hiding in that song. Well done.
OMG wow, nobody responded and i thought I'd done a really bad job :lol:

That honestly warms my heart so so much, thank you for your kind review. Sending love!
Being645
Above the Chemist

Another masterpiece by Dollysplit ... :bat: :D :bat: ...
Your acoustic versions of Sisters songs really add something to the original ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

:notworthy: :notworthy: this is also incredibly beautiful! well done. how many songs have you brought out or whatever the term is?
carry on doing what you are doing! :hl:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 16:33

Here it is!! Hope you guys enjoy. Don't know if this is the right place to put it or not, but yeah. I had fun on this one.
@LyanvisAberrant :notworthy: :notworthy: you know what? start your own thread promoting your music and band enough have done it in the past and for the future you deserve it!
sound is amazing and your take on this is simply beautiful...your voice or whoever is really stunning!
congratulations
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 19 Aug 2023, 08:06 THERE'S A DOOR IS DONE!!! well, as done as i can possibly get it.
Very nice.
LyanvisAberrant

MadameButterfly wrote: 21 Aug 2023, 21:49

:notworthy: :notworthy: this is also incredibly beautiful! well done. how many songs have you brought out or whatever the term is?
carry on doing what you are doing! :hl:
Thank you so much, really means the world to me that you are enjoying it ^_^
Upon your advice, I'll start a new thread to stop clogging up this one. X
mh
Above the Chemist

I don't think this one has come up before.

If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

That’s actually very good!
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
ruffers
Overbomber

That's very good

I'm not sure why, bit it leaves me wanting a cover of the same song in a Madrigal style. Anyone?
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
mh
Above the Chemist

Yeah, I enjoyed it because it did something different with the song, rather than just try replicate the original but with doomier deeper vocals, and a doomier deeper bassline, and doomier deeper drums. When a song can be transposed to a completely different style but still emerge intact, it shows how strong the song was to begin with.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

ruffers wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 21:26 That's very good

I'm not sure why, bit it leaves me wanting a cover of the same song in a Madrigal style. Anyone?
In a "Hey Nonny nonny, hey now now" style? :lol: Give it time... then it's your fault ok? :P
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
LyanvisAberrant

That was bloomin marvelous. Beautiful
sultan2075
Overbomber

mh wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 22:38 Yeah, I enjoyed it because it did something different with the song, rather than just try replicate the original but with doomier deeper vocals, and a doomier deeper bassline, and doomier deeper drums. When a song can be transposed to a completely different style but still emerge intact, it shows how strong the song was to begin with.
I really like the violin. I agree with you about the strength of Von's songs - they work really well in many different styles. Somewhere I've got recordings I've done of a bunch of Sisters tunes. No idea if I should inflict 'em on y'all. When songs get stuck in my head I have the habit of picking them apart and recording them as a way of getting them out (I've got two versions of Driven Like the Snow - one done as an acoustic, kind of folksy thing, and one done as heavy rock I guess)
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
sultan2075
Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 19:15
mh wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 22:38 Yeah, I enjoyed it because it did something different with the song, rather than just try replicate the original but with doomier deeper vocals, and a doomier deeper bassline, and doomier deeper drums. When a song can be transposed to a completely different style but still emerge intact, it shows how strong the song was to begin with.
I really like the violin. I agree with you about the strength of Von's songs - they work really well in many different styles. Somewhere I've got recordings I've done of a bunch of Sisters tunes. No idea if I should inflict 'em on y'all. When songs get stuck in my head I have the habit of picking them apart and recording them as a way of getting them out (I've got two versions of Driven Like the Snow - one done as an acoustic, kind of folksy thing, and one done as heavy rock I guess)
For the gluttons-for-punishment, I suppose, I've put a bunch of junk up on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/aint-nobody

They're all pretty rough mixes; not even remotely polished, and mostly created for an audience of one. All covers (Misfits, Sisters, Cohen, Waits, Devo, and Springsteen... I think that's it) except for "Katabasis" which was written for an album project I've since abandoned. I'm not really a good singer (a source of constant amusement to my lady-friend, who actually is).
--
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

sultan2075 wrote: 18 Oct 2023, 02:46 For the gluttons-for-punishment, I suppose, I've put a bunch of junk up on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/aint-nobody
I really enjoyed those, nice work!
sultan2075
Overbomber

alanm wrote: 18 Oct 2023, 07:30
sultan2075 wrote: 18 Oct 2023, 02:46 For the gluttons-for-punishment, I suppose, I've put a bunch of junk up on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/aint-nobody
I really enjoyed those, nice work!
Thank you kindly! I just realized I forgot to include Good Things, so that's going up in just a moment....
--
Ghost Dancer
Road Kill

Love the version of Alice. Thanks for sharing.