What do you think really changed in Andrew's handling of the band/brand?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Phil wrote: 27 Jul 2024, 08:28 I guess it wouldn't be so bad if the new songs were bad, or unimaginative and boring. Personally I think they're as good as any of the recorded stuff and in some cases better.

If you're reading this Andrew, can we just have a live gig posted online in mp3s? Just one, it's even easier than t-shirts.
This! 'as good and in some cases better' - yep yep and thrice yep. Less chance of a live recording than a studio recording though, trying to decide on the best sounding show to release would keep him busy for the next 20 years :lol: maybe he's still doing that for a process that started in 2003.

I do like the idea of passing responsibility on to Ben though, that might make summat happen. He's surely proved his 'responsibility / power' credentials to the band by now.
If you were asking my opinion then I would say delete that.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Ocean Moves wrote: 28 Jul 2024, 00:50 Personally I'd be a bit disappointed to wait 25 years to get a live show released by the band;
there's a ton of recordings, many of good quality, floating around already.
But none as good as the one take from the mixing desk even slightly polished. :wink:
z666
Amphetamine Filth

I think Ben has been infected by the same virus. Look at the Diamond Black releases' history, they have recorded like 5 songs in eight years or something in that area. Kai seems more prolific, but give him some more time with Eldritch and that can be solved...
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

Avocado farm. Can someone give me a link to the article? I don’t follow AE life closely. 😀
This place is death with walls

Some kind of innocence is measured out in years
You don't know what it's like to listen to your fears
Phantasmagoria
Road Kill

Incoming! wrote: 30 Jul 2024, 00:44 Avocado farm. Can someone give me a link to the article? I don’t follow AE life closely. 😀
https://illinoisentertainer.com/2024/05 ... -villains/
Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

z666 wrote: 29 Jul 2024, 13:42 I think Ben has been infected by the same virus. Look at the Diamond Black releases' history, they have recorded like 5 songs in eight years or something in that area. Kai seems more prolific, but give him some more time with Eldritch and that can be solved...
Has Kai written any songs with the Sisters yet ?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Yeah, there's not excuse why Kai didn't wrote at least 8 songs for TSOM that have not been played live. IT'S OUTRAGEOUS!
People were sacked from this band for lesser misdemeanors.
:lol:
ruffers
Overbomber

z666 wrote: 29 Jul 2024, 13:42 I think Ben has been infected by the same virus. Look at the Diamond Black releases' history, they have recorded like 5 songs in eight years or something in that area. Kai seems more prolific, but give him some more time with Eldritch and that can be solved...
There was an interview a couple of years ago with Ben Dylan and Davey all sat on a sofa where Ben said something along the lines of "We all want to record an album, but we're not the decision makers". The block's not with him.
Chucking another log on
sultan2075
Overbomber

ruffers wrote: 30 Jul 2024, 16:14
There was an interview a couple of years ago with Ben Dylan and Davey all sat on a sofa where Ben said something along the lines of "We all want to record an album, but we're not the decision makers". The block's not with him.
Am I imagining it or wasn't there talk of a 'But Genevieve' single right before the Covid disaster? I thought someone said Davey had spilled the beans on a planned (and now, presumably, long-scuttled) release?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Phantasmagoria wrote: 30 Jul 2024, 02:21
Incoming! wrote: 30 Jul 2024, 00:44 Avocado farm. Can someone give me a link to the article? I don’t follow AE life closely. 😀
I've always assumed he just made that up for that article. Sisters fans lap up everything he says and take it as gospel. In the same article he says "I was reading Lord of the Rings when I was four" No he wasn't, he's taking the p*ss out of the intervievers "I was reading H P Lovecraft when I was seven" question.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

ribbons69 wrote: 30 Jul 2024, 22:39
Phantasmagoria wrote: 30 Jul 2024, 02:21
I've always assumed he just made that up for that article. Sisters fans lap up everything he says and take it as gospel. In the same article he says "I was reading Lord of the Rings when I was four" No he wasn't, he's taking the p*ss out of the intervievers "I was reading H P Lovecraft when I was seven" question.
Well that'll make a refreshing change of tack in Von / Sisters discussions. Is or isn't Von an avocado farmer in his spare time? I really hope he is, fk a new album, I'm waiting expectantly for a Sisters Snack Box featuring Von's fruit and Kai's coffee. That's out the window if he's taking the p*ss.
If you were asking my opinion then I would say delete that.
H. Blackrose

ribbons69 wrote: 30 Jul 2024, 22:39
If everything that Von says is a lie, logically we should expect the new album to be released tomorrow
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love." - :von: , 1993

"We will miss them when they are gone" - M. Andrews, 2024
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I tend to agree that Chris probably was making a very sarcastic opinion about HLers.
deirfiur
Amphetamine Filth

One egotist interviewing another egotist is not conducive to meaningful insights... more like a pissing contest against a wall

[/quote]
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

I interviewed Ben, Dylan and Dave in Malmö back in 2019. They talked about the process, how the new songs came about - and about how they not only wanted to record and release an album, they saw it as ”the next logical step” with the new songs. ”But”, they quickly added, ”ultimately the decision has to be Andrews.”
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
Husek

sultan2075 wrote: 30 Jul 2024, 19:32
Am I imagining it or wasn't there talk of a 'But Genevieve' single right before the Covid disaster? I thought someone said Davey had spilled the beans on a planned (and now, presumably, long-scuttled) release?
That would be the ultimate sisters move.
> stop recording for well over 3 decades.
> refuses to record stuff from mr.whammy era, arguably their best tunes.
> refuses to record any new songs the from Ben and Chris era.
> releases a single of a song that by all measures is considered incomplete and unpolished.
> refuses to elaborate
> leaves back to the avocado farm.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
mh
Above the Chemist

This happened in Bristol in 2020, so I guess statute of limitations is now passed. Davey told a few of us in the pub, after the gig. What I specifically remember from my own chat with him is that he was very interested in getting people's opinion of the song, and that it was going to be the "first single" that summer.

That was obviously immediately pre-Covid and was only the 2nd date of the tour. Nobody knew what was going to happen just a couple of weeks later, and my own assumption is that the various Covid restrictions everywhere, together with cancellation of the tour after the first 4 dates, changed whatever plans the band might have had.

Assuming Davey wasn't just being a wag and having us all on, of course.

I can still get to say there was a Sisters tour I went to every single date of, by way of consolation for not having a single. :lol:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
sultan2075
Overbomber

mh wrote: 31 Jul 2024, 17:09

This happened in Bristol in 2020, so I guess statute of limitations is now passed. Davey told a few of us in the pub, after the gig. What I specifically remember from my own chat with him is that he was very interested in getting people's opinion of the song, and that it was going to be the "first single" that summer.

That was obviously immediately pre-Covid and was only the 2nd date of the tour. Nobody knew what was going to happen just a couple of weeks later, and my own assumption is that the various Covid restrictions everywhere, together with cancellation of the tour after the first 4 dates, changed whatever plans the band might have had.

I can still get to say there was a Sisters tour I went to every single date of, by way of consolation for not having a single. :lol:
Were I ever to write a book on the band, I think I'd have to call it Things That Should Have Been.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
ruffers
Overbomber

TheGoodSon wrote: 31 Jul 2024, 13:48
I interviewed Ben, Dylan and Dave in Malmö back in 2019. They talked about the process, how the new songs came about - and about how they not only wanted to record and release an album, they saw it as ”the next logical step” with the new songs. ”But”, they quickly added, ”ultimately the decision has to be Andrews.”
That's the one, thanks
Chucking another log on
alanm
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I was reflecting, as I drove home too fast from a boozy lunch (blasting Odin Owns Ye All by Einherjer), that a large part the Sisters feel and appeal lives in the imperfections. There isn't a Sisters era or sound that is without critics. Production is s**t on the earlier releases. Portions of the fanbase hate anything that doesn't sound like Reptile House (or Floodland, or Body Electric, etc). Put any Sisters track through a technical "what makes this song great"-type analysis and you'd come up with dozens of things that could be improved, and everyone's list would be different.

So in a way the non-releases are just a continuation of the same aesthetic. All we have is imperfect youtube boots (and concert memories for some of us) and we hanker for more. Would any "polished" official release be better than our imaginations?
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
Nyth Grandbeard
Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote: 31 Jul 2024, 17:09

I vaguely remember hearing somewhere on this forum that the sisters have some rudimentary recordings of all the songs, mainly for rehearsal purposes. Perhaps those could be released some day, who knows, but id take a live album too honestly. There are some good youtube recordings out there but i still feel like Andrew's voice is a little too far back in the "mix" (if you could call it that :lol: ) it does sound better in person though.

Speaking of Davey I hope he's doing well especially with all that has happened. He's been with the sisters for a long time and his contributions can't be understated, and he will be missed for this upcoming US tour, but I hope he takes all the time he needs to recover.
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

alanm wrote: 02 Aug 2024, 14:27 I was reflecting, as I drove home too fast from a boozy lunch (blasting Odin Owns Ye All by Einherjer), that a large part the Sisters feel and appeal lives in the imperfections. There isn't a Sisters era or sound that is without critics. Production is s**t on the earlier releases. Portions of the fanbase hate anything that doesn't sound like Reptile House (or Floodland, or Body Electric, etc). Put any Sisters track through a technical "what makes this song great"-type analysis and you'd come up with dozens of things that could be improved, and everyone's list would be different.

So in a way the non-releases are just a continuation of the same aesthetic. All we have is imperfect youtube boots (and concert memories for some of us) and we hanker for more. Would any "polished" official release be better than our imaginations?
Not only the imperfections but also their unattainability. When I first discovered the sisters in the late 80's, finding their earlier recordings wasn't easy. Lot's of great stuff was only available on live bootlegs. Fast forward to the 2020's and much is still unattainable, except for Youtube. Does this add to the mystique or just the frustration?
sultan2075
Overbomber

Suleiman wrote: 02 Aug 2024, 16:52 Does this add to the mystique or just the frustration?
Yes :innocent:
--
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

sultan2075 wrote: 02 Aug 2024, 16:57
Suleiman wrote: 02 Aug 2024, 16:52 Does this add to the mystique or just the frustration?
Yes :innocent:
:lol:
Chief Cohiba
Road Kill

Suleiman wrote: 02 Aug 2024, 16:52 Not only the imperfections but also their unattainability. When I first discovered the sisters in the late 80's, finding their earlier recordings wasn't easy. Lot's of great stuff was only available on live bootlegs. Fast forward to the 2020's and much is still unattainable, except for Youtube. Does this add to the mystique or just the frustration?
It seems I was lucky. There was a record store in Vienna which obviously was run by a huge Sisters fan. I went there, bought FALAA in 87, a few days later bought the "Enter The Sisters" compilation, then Reptile House, Alice, and so on. The Black October tour, Red Skies Disappear... all could be sourced. I can remember I was hunting "Jolene", and could pick from some versions. Only "Gimme Gimme..." I couldn't trace down.

One guy around here who I met regularily even had a copy of Damage Done, having bought it for some 1.000,- ATS (around 80,- €). He confirmed it was crap, so desire was rather low, but.

The reason why I didn't buy some of the 12" for collection was availability of spare money, not availability of the records itself.
Fireworks, Black Winds, Guns, all that lot...