May 4th - Manchester

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
merrisl
Amphetamine Filth

PS....

crap photies :)

Lee
kitty_karate
Road Kill

What a fantastic night that was!

It was great to see Sisters on tour, and to hear so many of my favourite songs played live. The level of smoke was ok - just added to the atmosphere.

My real niggles were with the sound. It really wasn't loud enough whatsoever, and as the Academy is such a barn it seemed like if you were more than 1/3 back in the hall there was no atmosphere as everyone seemed to be concentrating trying to hear the vocals. I'm not sure whose fault the volume was, as I've been to dance events at the Academy and it's been loud enough to make your ears bleed. The general sound mixing was poor, for the first two songs you could barely hear the vocals and the bass was pretty much non-existant all night instead of thundering loudly enough to shake the solar plexus.

Once I got the courage enough to go towards the rugby scrum at the front the sound and athmosphere improved and I couldn't fault their performances.

Just one question though - does Doktor Avalanche have an integral cigarrette lighter to keep Mr Eldritch supplied with lighted tabs?
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

I will be making the show available, I suspect it will need cleaning up though I've not played it back yet. If anyone has suggestions for whatever software I should use as I'm a bit out of my depth when it comes to these audio techie things. Also, with recording to minidisc, should I upload it to a certain server, what file format should I use as MiniDisc is compressed, isn't it? Send me a private message so that the threads stay on topic. Elsewhere on Heartland, some people stated that they thought the 2000 show in Manchester was awful. I thought that they sounded much better then. If anyone has that show available to trade, private message please.

Another drawback was - and I know I wasn't alone on this - but for each Sisters fan on the 'duplicate' coach on the way back to Liverpool, there were about ten Take That fans. Unlike the fishnet-clad birds that were at The Academy, these were some of the ugliest females ever. The sort you wouldn't even consider - even if you had a stolen dick.
On the other hand, the brain of an idiot seldom weighs more than 23oz - Gray's Anatomy
roonini
Road Kill

This was undoubtedly the worst gig I have ever been to!
The sound was appalling - we could barely hear Andrew Eldritch and the general volume was too low.
We were basically treated to a strereotypical rock guitarist playing over a poor backing track/drum machine.

An absolute waste of £22

Although some hardcore fans were clearly going to enjoy themselves regardless, many people I spoke to were bitterly disappointed.

I saw the sisters 15 years ago at Reading and they were one of the best bands I've ever seen.
This was a real shame :(
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

RetroGoth wrote:Another drawback was - and I know I wasn't alone on this - but for each Sisters fan on the 'duplicate' coach on the way back to Liverpool, there were about ten Take That fans. Unlike the fishnet-clad birds that were at The Academy, these were some of the ugliest females ever. The sort you wouldn't even consider - even if you had a stolen dick.
You're not wrong. On the way back to York I had to endure a train-load of boilers "singing" the entire Take That back catalogue. :urff:
The Scene won't save you...
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

If it weren't for the performance on Top Nite Out/Protosonic/whatever and Temple Of Love - I could have summed the sisters performance up in one word: s**t. I wonder if Mr Eldrtich and Co would care to offer free tickets for a new show since that one was so bad?

I also wonder how many people this time round have said that they won't go to another show? As I stated earlier, the audiences do seem to decrease each time I've seen them at the same venue.

Another example of how (in my opinion) they couldn't be bothered with this tour was with the lack of merchandise. A few old design T Shirts plus one long sleeve shirt that looked like it was printed by a student who used too much ink as he/she/it started teh print run when teacher was out to lunch (like Eldritch is most of the time). The quality of the current tour shirts were on par with the counterfeit products on sale outside, apart from the embroidered hooded top which seemed superior.

Hmmm.... I think I've reached the end of my gripe list. Oh, one more. I think some guitar parts were prerecorded.

Miaow!
On the other hand, the brain of an idiot seldom weighs more than 23oz - Gray's Anatomy
Mr Mercy
Road Kill

most people I saw/spoke too had a good time.
I think some of this has to do with what you expect from the gig.
But I still think its neive to expect last night concert to be like a show from 15 years ago.
plus you have had 15 years to buy a more recent bootleg/read reviews online/download a bootleg etc to give you an idea about what the sisters aka Andrew Eldritchand guests sound like live now.
but then again some people just like to moan!
Last edited by Mr Mercy on 05 May 2006, 13:40, edited 4 times in total.
"Martin(Gore)'s great. We need more perverts in the Top Twenty"
Andrew Eldritch in May 1997
roonini
Road Kill

Mr Mercy wrote:most people I saw/spoke too had a good time.
I think some of this have to do with what you expect from the gig.
But I still think its neive to expect last night concert to be like a show from 15 years ago.
plus you have and 15 years to buy a more recent bootleg/read reviews online/download a bootleg to give you an idea about what the sisters aka Andrew Eldritchand guests sound like live now.
A fair point.
However, the problem wasn't caused by a poor performance because of 'aging', rather a totally unprofessional attitude towards the mixing/souncheck. This should be a 'given'. If you went to the cinema and the sound was muffled/inaudible you would be very upset.
Mr Mercy
Road Kill

I would be upset if a went to the cinema and the sound was muffled as it would be a recored performance.
The gig last night was a live performace though so im more tollerent.
Last edited by Mr Mercy on 05 May 2006, 13:51, edited 2 times in total.
roonini
Road Kill

We'll have to disagree. I think £22.50 deserved better quality. I've been to plenty of gigs where far worse performers have sounded much better, in inferior venues.
I'm not anti-sisters, or reminiscing about the old days. I'm just prepared to be honest with myself over what I thought/felt.
If anyone thought they got value for money, then they did.
I didn't
Mr Mercy
Road Kill

I do agree with that evaluation on value.
right im going to SHUT THE F*UK UP NOW!
roonini
Road Kill

Me too :)
Delilah
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Big thanx to Original Goh for putting up with me all day in Manchester! You are a star - and very patient too! Vile Polish alcohol, free make up in Boots, great gig and after-gig partying in a gay village - THANK YOU!!! :kiss:
Debaser
Overbomber

RetroGoth wrote:If it weren't for the performance on Top Nite Out/Protosonic/whatever and Temple Of Love - I could have summed the sisters performance up in one word: s**t. I wonder if Mr Eldrtich and Co would care to offer free tickets for a new show since that one was so bad?

I also wonder how many people this time round have said that they won't go to another show? As I stated earlier, the audiences do seem to decrease each time I've seen them at the same venue.

Another example of how (in my opinion) they couldn't be bothered with this tour was with the lack of merchandise. A few old design T Shirts plus one long sleeve shirt that looked like it was printed by a student who used too much ink as he/she/it started teh print run when teacher was out to lunch (like Eldritch is most of the time). The quality of the current tour shirts were on par with the counterfeit products on sale outside, apart from the embroidered hooded top which seemed superior.

Hmmm.... I think I've reached the end of my gripe list. Oh, one more. I think some guitar parts were prerecorded.

Miaow!
What? No comment on ageing ugly women? You DO disappoint me.

Naturally, I assume, there was a number of male misogynistic twats there too.

Or was there just one...

WOOOOOOF!
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
aims
Overbomber

Debaser wrote:Naturally, I assume, there was a number of male misogynistic twats there too.
There were several. Most clad in precious little more than the fishnetted ladies :|

But seriously, some of the more adventurous behaviour in the pit made me very glad that I wasn't female...:urff:
Debaser
Overbomber

Deep breath...

anyway, thanks for the comments, wish I could've been there. Sat with the tix in my hand for a majority of the evening but 'hey ho'

A comment on the sound quality...as I am 'of an age' and my ears are shot (more so since the Secret Machines), I wonder if it's the younger fans who are disappointed by the sound. I'm kinda thinking us fossils can only hear fuzz anyway :D
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
aims
Overbomber

From the viewpoint of a "younger fan"...

The sound quality was pretty good for the most part. The music gelled wonderfully, but Andrew seemed to be drowning in it on occassions and Ben's guitar wasn't far forward enough in the mix for his first couple of solos. It was a bit on the quiet side, admittedly, but enough bits of me were aching this morning to be glad that my ears weren't ;D
Delilah

I have a video of Crash and Burn and Ribbons taken on my mobile, the quality is OK (I was at the front) - but how can I transfer it to my Mac? The phone is Siemens 600 and my comp does not recognize the device. I'm on OX 10.3 (Tiger). Any advice? :oops: :D
Mickpit
Road Kill

Debaser wrote: A comment on the sound quality...as I am 'of an age' and my ears are shot (more so since the Secret Machines), I wonder if it's the younger fans who are disappointed by the sound. I'm kinda thinking us fossils can only hear fuzz anyway :D
From another fossil, I have to say that the sound quality at The Astoria was good EXCEPT for the level of Von's vocal (this is however the biggest exception to a TSOM gig).......I have had several rants on the Astoria post about this (as have many people).
I was talking to some younger fans during Slept (i think) and they were commenting on the lack of volume. How many times have I chatted through a song at a gig?...never!!! I've yelled into a mates ear once or twice and received a vacant nod or a "what the f**k did you say".......anyway, you see my point about the sound level?

phew, feel better for that.
I'm not young enough to know everything
Delilah

pikkrong
Overbomber

Very good gig, although I enjoyed the Leeds one more. Maybe because I was fool to ruin my pure fun , trying to take these:

More crappy pics available there:
http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/ ... er%202006/
do i drive
or am i driven
aims
Overbomber

Very nice, Indrek :notworthy:
pikkrong
Overbomber

Motz wrote:Very nice, Indrek :notworthy:
You're welcome :D
do i drive
or am i driven
Husek

They have played More or are just a rumor?
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Husek wrote:They have played More or are just a rumor?
More was not played and it wasn't even a rumor.
Or you must have been starting the rumor in Brasil... :lol: :wink:
"as we walk on the floodland"