Doctor Jeep.

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I was wondering earlier about the line "the threatened witness my defence".

Does he mean:

• The threatened witness [is] my defence, or
  • "The threatened" witness my defence
Answers on a postcard.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

From the intonation of the line, I think it's "The threatened witness is my defence".
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

EvilBastard wrote:From the intonation of the line, I think it's "The threatened witness is my defence".
Aye....
"as we walk on the floodland"
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Sorry if that last post was a little brief - I was somewhat distracted. The logic behind the thought was that the whole song revolves around some of the more unpleasant aspects of American life in the late 80s. The era of the yuppie, Gordon Gecko's 'greed is good' credo, Reaganism. Mention is made of Album Oriented Rock (for years I thought that AOR referred to American Ordinary Receipts :oops:), Hanoi Jane, and Infomercials. The threatened witness may have been a reference to the big mob trials of the time.
That having been said, a deeper reading could be that the threatened people are witnesses to :von:'s defence of his position. If we assume that the threatened people are those who stood opposed to American hegemony during the time (people in the eastern bloc, anyone living in a South American client-state, half the middle east), and :von:'s position being that he was opposed to US policy, then perhaps what he is saying here is that by taking the position that he did, a position which may be seen to support those people, then the threatened would take heart and rise (and possibly reverberate) against those policies that he opposed.
Then again, who the fcuk really knows :lol:
Hank Moody
Dark
Underneath the Rock

It's okay, brief comments for a fairly brief question. :lol:

I always hear people refer to AOR as either being "Adult Orientated Rock" or "Album Orientated Rock". Whatever it is, I'm sure the south Miami businessmen love to hum to it. :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Is it just me in imagining that the "businessmen in South Miami" might not exactly be in the most legal of businesses?

Page Crockett and Tubbs... Image

Spooky; I just looked at the wiki entry for Miami Vice: apparently, Sonny Crockett was a Wide Receiver...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Doctor E
Road Kill

Speaking of Doctor Jeep. Does anyone have an idea about who or what that is?

Meanwhile, in the Sheraton,
Doctor Jeep plays on and on and on.

The closest I've got to an answer is that this is a reference to a drum machine, cf. Doktor Avalance, but that doesn't seem very satisfactory somehow. Any ideas?
Last edited by Doctor E on 09 Mar 2006, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.
Doctor E
Road Kill

markfiend wrote:Is it just me in imagining that the "businessmen in South Miami" might not exactly be in the most legal of businesses?

Page Crockett and Tubbs... Image

Spooky; I just looked at the wiki entry for Miami Vice: apparently, Sonny Crockett was a Wide Receiver...
I think your hunch is right. I seem to recall Mr. E saying somewhere that the AOR-humming businessmen from South Miami are arms dealers meeting with Hizbollah terrorists.
Last edited by Doctor E on 10 Mar 2006, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Doctor E wrote:Speaking of Doctor Jeep. Does anyone have an idea about who or what that is?

The closest I've got to an answer is that this is a reference to a drum machine, cf. Doktor Avalance, but that doesn't seem very satisfactory somehow. Any ideas?
I seem to think Dr Jeep was/is a piano player at the Sheraton hotel.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Dark wrote:
Doctor E wrote:Speaking of Doctor Jeep. Does anyone have an idea about who or what that is?

the Sheraton is also a type of chair. clever eh
Goths have feelings too
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Dark wrote:

I seem to remember this. There's an advert in an issue of UTR isn't there abouth this!??

"You can sell one another for 15 cents. Well bye bye mother its common sense." Always loved that line. :notworthy:
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

"Everyone shouts on I Love Lucy" is of course a reference to the Isle of Lucy Jazz-Blues Festival made famous in the film "This Is Spiñal Tap" :innocent:

You can't put an umlaut on an n with unicode so I've had to make do with a tilde. :|
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Johnny M
A Very Nice Man

markfiend wrote:"Everyone shouts on I Love Lucy" is of course a reference to the Isle of Lucy Jazz-Blues Festival made famous in the film "This Is Spiñal Tap" :innocent:
It's 09.25am and you're already doing drugs ... :eek: Frightening.

:lol:

:wink:
[size=9:7c190484cc]Johnny Boy - JB - Loki - Johnny M

Heartland 14 Jul 03 - 05 Aug 06.[/size:7c190484cc]
hallucienate
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:You can't put an umlaut on an n with unicode so I've had to make do with a tilde. :|
Spın̈al Tap

Spın̈al Tap raised the stakes in 1984 by using an umlaut over the letter N, a consonant. This is a construction found only in the Jacaltec language of Guatemala and in some orthographies of Malagasy,
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

That looks like Spin[]al Tap here, except with a square where I've typed []
—Bertrand Russell
hallucienate
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:That looks like Spin[]al Tap here, except with a square where I've typed []
you don't hae the right character set installed then. I see an "n" with an umlaut.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Doctor E
Road Kill

Purple Light wrote:
Dark wrote:

I seem to remember this. There's an advert in an issue of UTR isn't there abouth this!??

"You can sell one another for 15 cents. Well bye bye mother its common sense." Always loved that line. :notworthy:
Thanks for the information, Dark and Purple Light. This really brings the song into focus for me.

P.S. I've always admired the way Eldritch gets away with rhyming "Sheraton" with "on and on"!
James Blast
Banned

I did post this suggestion many moons ago:
doctor = general practitioner or GP
general purpose vehicle = GP or jeep as it became known
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

I do seem to remember various people in the other place saying that Dr. Jeep was the name of the Sheraton's pianist.

As to the original question - I think it's classic Eldritch intended ambiguity.

Most of the man's lyrics are full of it.
[repeat x40]
EvilBastard
Overbomber

kafka wrote:I do seem to remember various people in the other place saying that Dr. Jeep was the name of the Sheraton's pianist.

As to the original question - I think it's classic Eldritch intended ambiguity.

Most of the man's lyrics are full of it.
Might I venture Dr. Djeep, as in lighters? I know people who swear by them when Clippers aren't available...
Hank Moody
Dark
Underneath the Rock

kafka wrote:Most of the man's lyrics are full of it.
No argument there... :innocent:

Christ, forgot I started this thread.
Casar
Road Kill

I am fairly certain that Dr Jeep refers to George Bush Sr. The idea that while american bombs are bombing things and people, Dr Jeep is by his piano, playing on and on.
copper
Amphetamine Filth

Dr Jeep is Von's old linguistics professor, specializing in German and East Asian languages. He's more recently relocated to Miami.

:roll:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

James Blast wrote:I did post this suggestion many moons ago:
doctor = general practitioner or GP
general purpose vehicle = GP or jeep as it became known
What he said.
—Bertrand Russell