TSOM covers by heartlanders ? I just covered Alice.

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
shagriml
Road Kill

I don't know if there's been a topic like this. Anyway I was thinking, has anyone here at heartland made any cool (or horrible) TSOM covers ? Are there many musicians here ?

I'm not really a musician, just a bad drummer who happens to own a crappy stratocaster and really cheap eko bass. I thought about trying to cover some song. Today I was hangoverous and bored and recorded the most awful primitive simplified version of Alice: http://koti.mbnet.fi/shagriml/temp/alice.mp3
Everything's been done in one take and there are errors and the whole thing is just absolutely horrible.

It was the first time I tried to play it and tried to sing it. Dug out the tablatures and lyrics today... I'm not sure if the tablatures are correct though... I would appreciate a link to a verified tablature...

With proper rehearsing I might actually learn to play it decently...

Anyway, post your own covers if you have any ! Doesn't matter if they suck, they can't suck as much as my alice rape :lol:
Some people get by
with a little understanding.
Some people get high
with a whole lot more.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

The best way to work out how to play Alice is to sit down with the CD/Record and work it out.

I've never seen an accurate tab of it yet and god knows I can't be arsed to write one ;)

Anyway, I did this last year sometime. It's (not very good) version of Something Fast
24.24.2.489 Deceased
aims
Overbomber

Don't make me put up my piano cover of Logic...:innocent:

No really, don't, it's embarassing, as Dark will attest. :|

I might put up Body Lethargic if I ever get around to recording that ;)
shagriml
Road Kill

CellThree wrote:The best way to work out how to play Alice is to sit down with the CD/Record and work it out.
Don't have the CD, not even MP3 and I don't wanna wear out my Alice 12". I'm not into too much accuracy anyway, I'm too lazy to pick out all the details :lol:
CellThree wrote: Anyway, I did this last year sometime. It's (not very good) version of Something Fast
Me likes. Nice voice ! The guitar sound could use some work but it's decent.
Some people get by
Some people get high
with a whole lot more.
ruffers
Overbomber

Motz wrote:Don't make me put up my piano cover of Logic...:innocent:

No really, don't, it's embarassing, as Dark will attest. :|

I might put up Body Lethargic if I ever get around to recording that ;)
ffs, personal gripe. It's AMPHETAMINE Logic, don't submit to the tyranny of Woolworth's....
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I cover "First and Last and Always" occasionally, in a kind of Depeche Mode circa _Black Celebration_ style.
Badlander
Overbomber

shagriml wrote:I don't know if there's been a topic like this. Anyway I was thinking, has anyone here at heartland made any cool (or horrible) TSOM covers ? Are there many musicians here ?
I think your version is actually quite decent. Primitive but decent. It's just the vocals I have a problem with. But not being a musician myself I can only appreciate the effort. :notworthy:

Still... that singing... :urff: :P 8)
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Uhh, if i ever get to finish the mixing of my band's Some Kind of Stranger i'll put it up here, but i've been mixing it for a long time, or rather not mixing, cause i hate mixing.
But it'd not be something i did for fun or cause i had too much time, it'd be a serious take on the song.
i feel kinda like Stepan in Dostoyevky's the Devils..."all the information has been collected and i should just get to work, unfortunately i just have no desire for the work"
we've got beer and we've got fuel
aims
Overbomber

ruffers wrote:ffs, personal gripe. It's AMPHETAMINE Logic, don't submit to the tyranny of Woolworth's....
And I have a personal gripe with typing long titles when a suitable abbreviation exists. I don't add Amphetamine to Logic and I don't add (A Fragment) after Neverland, it's hardly a case of submitting to the corporate tyranny of Woolies :roll:
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

I can play Temple, FALAA, Logic, Crash & Burn, Summer, Will I Dream, Come Together, War On Drugs, Ribbons, Anaconda, Alice, Vision Thing, Flood I & II, Romeo Down (on bass too), Slept & Top Nite Out.

Now, if anyone can give me any clue on how to get this stuff from a guitar to a PC & then on to here I'll happily do so! I have the technological know-how of an ant. :innocent: :roll:
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

I used a cassette recorder to recorded myself playing Heartland once. It lasted ten minutes.

Beat that on the speed scale, Von. :twisted:
I wasn’t even on speed when I recorded the unnecessarily long chorus. I know. I’m that good. :innocent:
davedecay

i've got a somewhat dreadful version of Teachers i did on a 4-track with a drum machine, a bass, and two vocal tracks. sounds a bit like bad Suicide.

still, my vox can't be half as rough as Mr. Cohen's, right?
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

davedecay wrote:i've got a somewhat dreadful version of Teachers i did on a 4-track with a drum machine, a bass, and two vocal tracks. sounds a bit like bad Suicide.

Leonard Cohen rocks, but have you done any TSOM covers? :wink:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Motz wrote:I don't add Amphetamine to Logic and I don't add (A Fragment) after Neverland
is it too much to expect a space between "never" and "land" ? :innocent:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
aims
Overbomber

Now that you've quoted it into being eternally immutable, yes, yes it is :roll:
davedecay

nick the stripper wrote:
davedecay wrote:i've got a somewhat dreadful version of Teachers i did on a 4-track with a drum machine, a bass, and two vocal tracks. sounds a bit like bad Suicide.

Leonard Cohen rocks, but have you done any TSOM covers? :wink:
um, nope. i'm not really a musician.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I wouldn't post Mike's version of Amphetamine Logic, unless you're all feeling masochistic. :lol: :kiss:

And I can play something vaguely resembling Snub Nose and a completely-wrong-key Anaconda.
aims
Overbomber

There is a slight gap between embarassing and painful, darling :kiss:
robertzombie
Overbomber

I've made some dodgy versions of Train, I Was Wrong, SKOS, Emma, F&L&A and Marian.

None of them sound like the originals ;D

my band will be covering Susanne for our new single and another song from the new single sounds (strangely) familiar to Flood I...
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Careful when it comes to cover songs. We have one in the making that the artist said we could make without paying him for it (though we'll obviously send him the CD ;)) but Eldritch is harder to contact, and probably less kind when it comes to copyright.
robertzombie
Overbomber

We won't be making any money out of it.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Robert zombie is going to disappear under mysterious circumstances, and the only clue to his whereabouts shall be a neighbour who claims to have heard a man in black knocking on RZ’s door saying they were from some place called Baxcorp. :wink:
robertzombie
Overbomber

:lol: don't worry, I'm sure I'll be -

brb, someone's at the door...
shagriml
Road Kill

Sucks ass that my 4-track broke :(

I would have fixed the guitars and re-recorded the vocals. I've also been practising Black Planet and No Time To Cry + a few songs of my own...

Gotta fix the damn thing or buy a new one (with what money :oops: ).

I'd really like to find a band to play TSOM covers but nobody here in Finland seems to like the Sisters. Most of the dudes think they're awful, a few think they're okay but no-one seems like to enough to be interested in playing their songs...
Last edited by shagriml on 02 Apr 2006, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
Some people get by
Some people get high
with a whole lot more.