Songs possibly "inspired" by TSOM

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
shagriml
Road Kill

This weekend when I played Temple of Love 12", my girlfriend said that it sounds a lot like Iron Maiden's Fear Of The Dark and I gotta agree that the riffs are a bit similar...

Another friend once said that Type O Negative's song My Girlfriend's Girlfriend is a ripoff from Black Planet. Gotta agree that the riffs are pretty similar....

What do you think ?

You know any other songs which have been possibly inspired by the Sisters ?
Some people get by
with a little understanding.
Some people get high
with a whole lot more.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Rosetta Stone's entire back catalogue?
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

shagriml wrote:This weekend when I played Temple of Love 12", my girlfriend said that it sounds a lot like Iron Maiden's Fear Of The Dark and I gotta agree that the riffs are a bit similar...
A friend of mine played Fear Of The Dark yesterday. Exactly that was I thinking! Fear Of The Dark, AFAIK, was released in 1992. The same year that Ofrah touched Temple Of Love...
"as we walk on the floodland"
Badlander
Overbomber

Dozens of dodgy goff bands. :innocent: :roll:
Fields of the Nephilim's Laura, heavily "inspired" by Alice. Not a dodgy goff act though. :notworthy:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
lachert
Overbomber

entire the m*****n :lol:
you heard this marian on their first album... :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
Llamatron
Amphetamine Filth

I've noticed the My Girlfriend's Girlfriend/Black Planet bit myself. There's no question Type O are aware of the Sisters, certainly...

There's a ton of goff-metal stuff that's Sisters-inspired. Paradise Lost's "Say Just Words" and Tiamat's "Brighter Than The Sun" come to mind immediately. The Tiamat track is complete an with English-as-a-second-language take on Eldo's lyrical style.
Left at the dead badger.
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Anyone ever heard "The testicle of god" by Gaye Bykers on acid? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

wild bill buttock wrote:Anyone ever heard "The testicle of god" by Gaye Bykers on acid? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
probably but i can'trecall it off the top of my head. is it off of "cancer planet m*****n"?
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Muppet
Amphetamine Filth

The whole "Eighties"/"Come as you are" rip off pales in comparison next to the far more blatant "My Girlfriends Girlfriend" one.... still surprised that Eldritch didn't sue; it's basically a cover version of the music from Black Planet, just with different vocals!

And notwithstanding any thing else they've done, The Mish's "Evangeline" was VERY familiar....
"You've a pretty good command of English, for a vole..."
a.r.kane
Amphetamine Filth

lachert wrote:entire the m*****n :lol:
Hussey created that whole FLAA sound which he brought from Dead or Alive, so to say that the m*****n's sound was heavily influenced by the sound of the Sisters is without grounds - my god that was polite!! :oops:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

a.r.kane wrote:Hussey created that whole FLAA sound which he brought from Dead or Alive,
Maybe, but don't you think it's "bad form" to take a riff you've recorded in a song for one band, and then lift it wholesale for a new song for your new band?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

a.r.kane wrote:
lachert wrote:entire the m*****n :lol:
Hussey created that whole FLAA sound which he brought from Dead or Alive, so to say that the m*****n's sound was heavily influenced by the sound of the Sisters is without grounds - my god that was polite!! :oops:
definitely.

heard a few demos of misty circles a while ago (peel session, circa 1982 i seem to recall) and couldnt believe how FALAA the guitar sound were :o

as for being bad form taking a riff from one band to the next, what about when you run out of ideas 20 years later and just reverse the riff, while still with the same band? see the case of amphetamine logic vs summer :lol: ;)

and hey, its a good riff... why re-invent the wheel every time? :innocent:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
mugabe

"Enter Sandman"
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
post-moderne
Road Kill

shagriml wrote:This weekend when I played Temple of Love 12", my girlfriend said that it sounds a lot like Iron Maiden's Fear Of The Dark and I gotta agree that the riffs are a bit similar...

Another friend once said that Type O Negative's song My Girlfriend's Girlfriend is a ripoff from Black Planet. Gotta agree that the riffs are pretty similar....

What do you think ?

You know any other songs which have been possibly inspired by the Sisters ?
True, true... and then again, the keyboard line of "Giving Ground" is also very close to "Fear of the Dark", yet different from Temple Of Love.
Non, non, non et non, jamais, non, négation... Oui ? Peut-être... Oui, oui, oui et oui, toujours, affirmation... Non ? Peut-être...
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

"Radio" by Robbie Williams.
Banned

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
wild bill buttock wrote:Anyone ever heard "The testicle of god" by Gaye Bykers on acid? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
probably but i can'trecall it off the top of my head. is it off of "cancer planet m*****n"?
Testicle of God (and it was good) is from the second album, Stewed to the Gills
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
pikkrong
Overbomber

when I heard first time Maiden's Fear Of The Dark, it reminded me Temple Of Love, the '83 version by the way.
do i drive
or am i driven
Ramone

I have to dispute, the comment of 'Rosetta Stones back catalogue'..ok, maybe not then..carry on :)

Wasteland by the Mishun is obviously Marian, but in a reverse sequence. As told to me by the man himself. But the Iron Maiden FOTD is without doubt lifted from TOL. But whether it's deliberate of just coincidence is up for speculation.

But isn't all music based on plagarisim anyway.?.without Lynryd Skynrd and Iggy Pop we'd have No Sisters, without the Sisters we'd have no Rosetta and without Rosetta we'd have no...oh wait...no one since. Of any substance anyway.
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
snowey

Ramone wrote: without the Sisters we'd have no Rosetta and without Rosetta we'd have...
A fuckin big gap on my record and CD shelves. :lol:
scotty
Overbomber

snowey wrote:
Ramone wrote: without the Sisters we'd have no Rosetta and without Rosetta we'd have...
A fuckin big gap on my record and CD shelves. :lol:
Do you remember the wee Scouse (IIFC) guy that used to follow "Rosetta Stone", he had a buisness screen printing T-Shirts, ha was on stage singing with the band at his 100th gig?.

Keith
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I've never actually heard Rosetta Stone.
Are they generic gloomy goth trash? If so, find me an album. :lol:
scotty
Overbomber

Dark wrote:I've never actually heard Rosetta Stone.
Would you like something in the post next week? :wink:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Imagine Walk Away with a weaker bassline and an over-processed guitar sound. And again. And again... :lol:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

scotty wrote:
Would you like something in the post next week? :wink:
I seem to be taking a hell of a lot of your CD-Rs... the answer of course being "yes :D:D:D" :lol:
lazarus corporation wrote:Imagine Walk Away with a weaker bassline and an over-processed guitar sound. And again. And again... :lol:
Sounds almost like punk. :lol:
scotty
Overbomber

Dark wrote:
I seem to be taking a hell of a lot of your CD-Rs... the answer of course being "yes :D:D:D" :lol:
Nea prob's Image